MATCH: vs Mansfield Town (A) 09/10/21

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

When is the last time we played 2 up front, that is a target man and a fox in the box?

Unfortunately, this squad has neither.

Yep we don't have them. 

So we either persist with one up front on his own.... which we know doesn't work... or we try and find something that might work... it's not even about the player in attack scoring but if we can keep possession longer in the opponents half, win more set pieces in attacking areas it might just enable us to create a chance for someone to take and to win a few of these 0 0 games. 

At the moment its more or less the same every week, we can't hold the ball and create chances, eventually opposition wake up to that fact. Move forwards with more intent, score and then take over the game. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluehobbit said:

Lots of goals from set pieces that kid.

If only we could win enough in attacking areas to give Pidge and McGahey a chance we might score a couple more than we are doing. 

The quality of our set pieces in the last couple of years has been shocking too.  In League One it was a major source of goals for us, but that has dried up.

Bettache looked to have a decent corner and free kick, if he can fit into the team.  

31 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Tranmere have also conceded only goals this season.

But only scored 8 . Only 3 teams scored fewer which we are one of. We desparatley need a target man or a goalscorer from somewhere , How anyone thought we could start the season with no forward line is beyond belief. Unless you are stupid or called MO or Abdallah. We would have been better of keeping Blackwood.

7 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

But only scored 8 . Only 3 teams scored fewer which we are one of. We desparatley need a target man or a goalscorer from somewhere , How anyone thought we could start the season with no forward line is beyond belief. Unless you are stupid or called MO or Abdallah. We would have been better of keeping Blackwood.

1.  That wasn't my point.  I was just pointing out how well Peter Clarke is doing.

2.  Surely Curle should take the majority of the blame?

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No. 

If he is only talking of the absolute turd served up each Saturday and every other Tuesday then the answer is yes and the man himself has said so 

I have not been a Curle outer as my past posts will show but it literally has been as enjoyable as boiling my own head and then plucking out my eyeballs and eating them 

3 hours ago, bluehobbit said:

Lots of goals from set pieces that kid.

If only we could win enough in attacking areas to give Pidge and McGahey a chance we might score a couple more than we are doing. 

Speaking of set pieces when did we last get a penalty?  I can't be bothered looking it up but it feels like ages ago?  

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Purely by accident, I would guess, the Lemsagams are being quite clever here. 

They've come in and over the space of three and a half years destroyed the club's reputation, interfered in team affairs and are now skint.  So with the club at it's lowest ebb, after their masterplan failing, they've decided to leave the manager to it, with no money.  Curle's avoiding the fate of the umpteen other managers we've had under their reign firstly because they can't afford to pay him off and secondly so they can turn round and say to the fans "hey, we're doing what you've asked - we're kept faith with the manager AND we're leaving him to it", when in reality he doesn't have a chance.

Lets snap out of this phase of blaming the manager.  It's the owners and the owners only we should want out at the moment.

If he had the slightest bit of self respect in the circumstances he would say 

“again… this place is a clusterfuck and I’m off”

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

They've come in and over the space of three and a half years destroyed the club's reputation, interfered in team affairs and are now skint.  So with the club at it's lowest ebb, after their masterplan failing, they've decided to leave the manager to it, with no money.  Curle's avoiding the fate of the umpteen other managers we've had under their reign firstly because they can't afford to pay him off and secondly so they can turn round and say to the fans "hey, we're doing what you've asked - we're kept faith with the manager AND we're leaving him to it", when in reality he doesn't have a chance.

Lets snap out of this phase of blaming the manager.  It's the owners and the owners only we should want out at the moment.

Don’t put words in my mouth by the way - I want the three twats - AL, Mo and Blitz hung drawn and quartered with Corney made to eat their remains before he’s fired into the sun after being buggered by an entire pride of horny lions 

this manager is still dog shit 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

If he had the slightest bit of self respect in the circumstances he would say 

“again… this place is a clusterfuck and I’m off”

Because that would pay the mortgage..

He's not a fan.  It's a job. He's been shat on from a great height and wants a pay-off and good-luck to him, I say.

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's not a fan.  It's a job. He's been shat on from a great height and wants a pay-off and good-luck to him, I say.

been shat on??? He applied for the fucking job!!!

and having known what he was signing up to (he says himself he heard the tales) his mortgage after his career (if he has a mortgage) will not rely on maybe getting paid at Oldham Athletic 

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Don’t put words in my mouth by the way - I want the three twats - AL, Mo and Blitz hung drawn and quartered with Corney made to eat their remains before he’s fired into the sun after being buggered by an entire pride of horny lions 

this manager is still dog shit 

I'd pay to watch that. Pensioner rate mind.

4 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

been shat on??? He applied for the fucking job!!!

and having known what he was signing up to (he says himself he heard the tales) his mortgage after his career (if he has a mortgage) will not rely on maybe getting paid at Oldham Athletic 

So you think he can afford to walk away on principle?

I'm also pretty sure there's not been an application process for the manager's job since these owners have been here...

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

So you think he can afford to walk away on principle?

I'm also pretty sure there's not been an application process for the manager's job since these owners have been here...

Christ almighty 

I think he’s shit you don’t and yes there is a precedent for managers resigning right throughout the ladder

Lets leave it there 

1 hour ago, Sparkleking said:

Speaking of set pieces when did we last get a penalty?  I can't be bothered looking it up but it feels like ages ago?  

I'd like to see Bahamboula run into the penalty area, perhaps he's been told it a no go area for our players?😉

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

We def want the owners out but stop giving curle a free reign. He was worse than kewell with same team. That in itself shows we’ve gone backwards with him and that there are others out there who can get more points with same players. His record is dire, the football is too defensive and he isnt getting the best out of the squad. He could have signed loan strikers but didn’t and took a winger from qpr. He isn’t totally blameless for our predicament. A couple more games and if no goals or points he should be gone. 

10 hours ago, JoeP said:

Exactly this. 15 years ago I took a job on false promises. The company, which was a major multi national was in an appalling state as a direct result of mismanagement over a period of time and particularly because of the management's refusal to admit their mistakes and be honest with staff about them. I knew by lunch on day 2 that I'd made a big mistake but I stayed for  13 months because it wasn't going to be me and my family that paid the price for their grotesque behaviour. I needed to be certain that I could move to the right place so in that intervening year I looked at numerous options and turned down several job offers. When I did find the right place I left and stayed there for 14 years. 

8 hours ago, Careca9 said:

We def want the owners out but stop giving curle a free reign. He was worse than kewell with same team. That in itself shows we’ve gone backwards with him and that there are others out there who can get more points with same players. His record is dire, the football is too defensive and he isnt getting the best out of the squad. He could have signed loan strikers but didn’t and took a winger from qpr. He isn’t totally blameless for our predicament. A couple more games and if no goals or points he should be gone. 

Well, worse than Kewell with the same team, minus McAleney (that crucial 20-a-season-ish striker). 

Considering where we were a few weeks ago, I think there's small signs of progress. Beat Rochdale, should have got something against Harrogate and should have won in Saturday. Sacking him now would be strange timing, to say the least. Don't get me wrong, if we go back to Orient/Barrow/Brentford type performances, there would definitely be a case. 

Then we can bring the next fall-guy in to do something similar...

Archived