MATCH: vs Mansfield Town (A) 09/10/21

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

?

So what your saying is ‘fair play to those who go to support the team’, even with the ongoing horror show off the pitch, but the ‘football on the pitch discussion’ is pointless?

Pointless as in it won’t change anything? Pointless as in we are crap so just accept the fact?

I don’t think the debate is pointless. Like it or not, the team we put out represents the club. Watching and debating the performance is one part of the reason why those who still attend do so.

It doesn’t mean that the discussion ignores or forgets the bigger issues that continue to drag the club down, it’s just what fans do surely?

The two are intrinsically linked. 

Pointless- in that we certain to go down in my opinion. So debating the game in any normal sense seems completely moot to me. It’s like debating which jumper you want to put on when your house is flooding. 

People keep clinging to league football. (I understand why) But the sooner they realise this is nowhere near how bad things are going to get- the better. There is no formation/tactic/manager that can stop the inevitable. 

I’ll be happy to debate on the pitch again, when doing so has some credibility. IE when a ‘professional’ league club doesn’t go into a season with ONE forward who is 1 in 5. 

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The two are intrinsically linked. 

Pointless- in that we certain to go down in my opinion. So debating the game in any normal sense seems completely moot to me. It’s like debating which jumper you want to put on when your house is flooding. 

People keep clinging to league football. (I understand why) But the sooner they realise this is nowhere near how bad things are going to get- the better. There is no formation/tactic/manager that can stop the inevitable. 

I’ll be happy to debate on the pitch again, when doing so has some credibility. IE when a ‘professional’ league club doesn’t go into a season with ONE forward who is 1 in 5. 

We are not certain to to down, thats just daft sorry.

Its October ffs, luckily for us this league is filled with teams just as crap as us. 

There has been some improvement on the pitch in some form. We aren't getting the results but we are capable even with this shower of staying up. 

12 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

We are not certain to to down, thats just daft sorry.

Its October ffs, luckily for us this league is filled with teams just as crap as us. 

There has been some improvement on the pitch in some form. We aren't getting the results but we are capable even with this shower of staying up. 

Ok, we disagree. 

4 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

What is happening on the pitch is because of the running of the club off it.

But what happens on the pitch is still very important and is definately not pointless.

Going out of the league would be disasterous, anyone thinking going out of the football league would be bottoming out is mad.

In league one some were saying going down would be the kick up the arse the club needed, well look how thats turning out.

As for the team, I have seen some improvement and some reasons to believe we are not gauranteed relagation material just yet, there are other teams more than happy to run us close for that.

We are very poor, but there are others just the same if not worse, find a way to score goals and we will have a chance, not that easy but we looked a threat up front yesterday for a change, still no goals but a little promise.

Abdallah and his brother must go, if this team manages to stay up, we can't go into another season with these at the healm.

Indeed.

Take a look at Conference North. York, Chester, Darlington, Bradford PA, Southport, Hereford. Seen all those play at Boundary Park in the league.

2 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Indeed.

Take a look at Conference North. York, Chester, Darlington, Bradford PA, Southport, Hereford. Seen all those play at Boundary Park in the league.

I think all divisions seem alot stronger and those deemed bigger clubs are all over the place recently or especially since the 70s & 80s.

Youve got traditional league clubs playing non league, league one is littered with biggish clubs who wouldnt be out of place in the Premier league, the Championship is huge too..... the whole pyramid is all a bit upside down some might argue.

And then you have small and historically non league clubs playing league one and two, and also doing well.

We need to stay up.

6 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I think all divisions seem alot stronger and those deemed bigger clubs are all over the place recently or especially since the 70s & 80s.

Youve got traditional league clubs playing non league, league one is littered with biggish clubs who wouldnt be out of place in the Premier league, the Championship is huge too..... the whole pyramid is all a bit upside down some might argue.

And then you have small and historically non league clubs playing league one and two, and also doing well.

We need to stay up.

I think analysis would reveal that the spread since the demise of Gateshead in the early sixties is broadly north/south with clubs in decaying northern industrial areas being replaced by clubs further south in more economically advantaged places.

When northern clubs get back it can take a long time.

We all know which category we fall into.

2 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

I think analysis would reveal that the spread since the demise of Gateshead in the early sixties is broadly north/south with clubs in decaying northern industrial areas being replaced by clubs further south in more economically advantaged places.

When northern clubs get back it can take a long time.

We all know which category we fall into.

Well lets hope for a Jack Walker or Dave Whelan to appear.

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Are there still people who don't realise that the embargo means we have the slimmest of slim chances of getting a half decent striker in? 

Not sure @Dave_Og, perhaps you can initiate a survey, then share knowledge with the ignorant.

I did see the good sense in your earlier suggestion to have a proper, concise list of facts pertaining to the club, ownership of assets etc. 

I think the restrictions of the EFL loan are generally understood and I see this as the most urgent issue, said as much to the OASF.

Clearly if nothing changes, which includes the makeup of our squad, the likelihood is relegation.

It must be in all parties interests (including new owner), to preserve our league status.

Shifting the paradigm is the point, the manager doesn't have much to work with up front, I argue we need to bring somebody in, hence remove the constraints imposed by EFL.

Am I confident this will happen, not at all.

2 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I seem to be taking more of an unhealthy interest in the National League. Perhaps my subconscious is preparing me for something............

I have, and it's not bad, considering it's 'non-league.' I think this team would struggle, but any team will struggle in any league if it doesn't have a couple of decent strikers.

Problem is, all the clubs above us in the league come January will all bring in a few new signings to pull away from trouble, but our set of frauds will persist with the same bunch!! Or bring in more players off Geordi shore standard of players! Like  they have mentioned, the fans are only upset because we have got off to a bad start!! FFS 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway, the game. Dreadful. Mansfield had 8 first team players out (10 by half time) and had two full backs playing at centre half for the second half and yet we still struggled to seriously trouble them. Was reliably informed by my 6 year old during the week that we haven't scored in the first half of a game all season. Sack this manager and score some goals.

PS; Piergianni and Whelan played well...

We've got to too do something drastic in the attack department.  Curle is going to have to find someone who can provide something to build off in attack, maybe that's being good in the air, great work rate, some excess pace....what ever he's got to find someone who can play alongside Hope or whoever and try hold the ball between them and create some pressure. 

At the minute one up front is giving us very little. 

24 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

We've got to too do something drastic in the attack department.  Curle is going to have to find someone who can provide something to build off in attack, maybe that's being good in the air, great work rate, some excess pace....what ever he's got to find someone who can play alongside Hope or whoever and try hold the ball between them and create some pressure. 

But here in lies the problem their is knowone currently on the staff who can fulfil that role. Its October so we can't really sign anyone until January and even then we are under severe transfer restrictions. So the chances of signing anyone who is of football league standard who might only need to score as little as 5-8 goals, between Jan and May are slim at best.

19 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

Agree with this but not if it involves putting a fairly basic 4th division centre half up front and expecting them to be Ian Marshall, as some have suggested.

We need a pretty big centre forward who is mobile to close down defenders not a "statue" to just aim long balls at, ideally someone like Jayden Stockley ( I know we're not in the market for anyone of his ability ) who destroyed us a couple of years ago whilst playing for Exeter. The lad Armstrong at Harrogate did a similar job on us the other week and was the difference between 3 points and none.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

But here in lies the problem their is knowone currently on the staff who can fulfil that role. Its October so we can't really sign anyone until January and even then we are under severe transfer restrictions. So the chances of signing anyone who is of football league standard who might only need to score as little as 5-8 goals, between Jan and May are slim at best.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agree with this but not if it involves putting a fairly basic 4th division centre half up front and expecting them to be Ian Marshall, as some have suggested.

We need a pretty big centre forward who is mobile to close down defenders not a "statue" to just aim long balls at, ideally someone like Jayden Stockley ( I know we're not in the market for anyone of his ability ) who destroyed us a couple of years ago whilst playing for Exeter. The lad Armstrong at Harrogate did a similar job on us the other week and was the difference between 3 points and none.

The chances of us signing anyone are slim and 0 but we have a squad of players (as poor as many of them are) it's up to Curle to find 1 or 2 who have some attacking qualities and make it work. 

If we have to experiment and play someone out of position to see if can do a job for 3 games or so so be it. Drawing games won't get us up the league (although thank fully it's so poor we aren't totally adrift)

The defense has got a little better, now we need to try and increase the goals scored and we are going to have to be creative. I'd rather see a midfielder played up front.  You could stick Bam up front as an out and out forward for a time, he's got the strength and tricky to turn on the ball and buy us some time to get up the pitch, Stobbs or Vaughan could maybe take his position out wide.  Couto has come in and done well. How long is Hart out for? He's tall, fairly quick would at least give us something a bit more physical to aim for?  I've never been convinced with Fage but his pace mean you could at least fire a ball down the line for him to run after and try and win some throws, corners, free kicks higher up the pitch....

It's ugly, by no means perfect but at the moment we don't create and take enough chances. We need a plan B. When did we last score first in a game? 

Other than Hartlepool have we looked like winning a home game this season? 

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

This lad Clarke at Tranmere seems to be knocking them in, maybe we should give him a go up front

Lots of goals from set pieces that kid.

If only we could win enough in attacking areas to give Pidge and McGahey a chance we might score a couple more than we are doing. 

5 hours ago, bluehobbit said:

The chances of us signing anyone are slim and 0 but we have a squad of players (as poor as many of them are) it's up to Curle to find 1 or 2 who have some attacking qualities and make it work. 

If we have to experiment and play someone out of position to see if can do a job for 3 games or so so be it. Drawing games won't get us up the league (although thank fully it's so poor we aren't totally adrift)

The defense has got a little better, now we need to try and increase the goals scored and we are going to have to be creative. I'd rather see a midfielder played up front.  You could stick Bam up front as an out and out forward for a time, he's got the strength and tricky to turn on the ball and buy us some time to get up the pitch, Stobbs or Vaughan could maybe take his position out wide.  Couto has come in and done well. How long is Hart out for? He's tall, fairly quick would at least give us something a bit more physical to aim for?  I've never been convinced with Fage but his pace mean you could at least fire a ball down the line for him to run after and try and win some throws, corners, free kicks higher up the pitch....

It's ugly, by no means perfect but at the moment we don't create and take enough chances. We need a plan B. When did we last score first in a game? 

Other than Hartlepool have we looked like winning a home game this season? 

When was the last time we played 2 up front, that is a target man and a fox in the box?

Unfortunately, this squad has neither.

Archived