MATCH: vs Mansfield Town (A) 09/10/21

For much of the game thinking we are the better side, should win, then grimly hanging on for a point.

Not addressing the goal scoring situation in January will be make or break.

Benny Couto, very good, plus the long throw is now launched into the box with some purpose, just couldn't capitalise.

While Harrison McGahey is proving to be very good also, we cant afford for him to be pulled out of position, each time it left a big hole.

Midfield decent, Callum Whelan worked tirelessly, Jack Stobbs definitely adds a threat, that was the best ive seen from Jamie Bowden, was more effective but still had a few careless passes in awful positions.

Pleased to see Zak more like his old self, worked hard, went very close after a lovely bit of skill.

How refreshing to have a keeper who catches and makes decent saves, one thing less to worry about.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good end to the first half after a poor first twenty five from both sides - Latics should have been ahead at the break but we didn’t take our chances. How McGahey missed from that close I’ll never know. Their keeper, Bishop, kept them in the game.

We definitely went off the boil in the second period and Curle was slow to recognise and make changes. In the end we were hanging on a little.

Stand out performers at the back were Piergianni and Couto and a good display from Leutwiler too. Whelan did well in the middle and Dearnley is improving (albeit slowly).

Like us, Mansfield are a side on a bad run and missing key players - they were there for the taking and somehow a point away from home feels like a lost opportunity. 

Another week on the training ground and hopefully one or two more of the injured close to a return.

This long ball game is really startin to infuriate me. From the injury stoppage on wards until about 70-75th min, we had them on the ropes. Throws goin in, crosses goin in, takin on their men, good passing and pressure. The curle does what he does each game and decides if we aren't winning then let's jus kick it long and lose all positive possession we had. Takes the midfield out of the game. Then because of that bahamboula is out of the game and then is dragged off for fuckin hope! Curle is an absolute joke. Last 2 games we have played well in large parts but without luck. Stobbs last week, mcgahey and dkd this week. Balls just aren't falling at the minute. But then as time goes by and when we should be penning them in, curle decides to shit out. Id rather him go that the owners right now. Another manager would have this group of players comfortably mid table. Theyre playin well with and without the ball. Decent passing and mistakes limited. But curle takes all the momentum out of the players. FUCK OFF KEITH

10 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

This long ball game is really startin to infuriate me. From the injury stoppage on wards until about 70-75th min, we had them on the ropes. Throws goin in, crosses goin in, takin on their men, good passing and pressure. The curle does what he does each game and decides if we aren't winning then let's jus kick it long and lose all positive possession we had. Takes the midfield out of the game. Then because of that bahamboula is out of the game and then is dragged off for fuckin hope! Curle is an absolute joke. Last 2 games we have played well in large parts but without luck. Stobbs last week, mcgahey and dkd this week. Balls just aren't falling at the minute. But then as time goes by and when we should be penning them in, curle decides to shit out. Id rather him go that the owners right now. Another manager would have this group of players comfortably mid table. Theyre playin well with and without the ball. Decent passing and mistakes limited. But curle takes all the momentum out of the players. FUCK OFF KEITH

Very good post.

I don't mind if Bahamboula and Dearnley were tiring, they were our two biggest (albeit limited) threats.  Hope and Bettache made us much less of a threat.

12 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Very good post.

I don't mind if Bahamboula and Dearnley were tiring, they were our two biggest (albeit limited) threats.  Hope and Bettache made us much less of a threat.

But this is it - they probably were tiring. Dearnley constantly has fitness issues and Bahamboula tends to fade as games go on.

To keep pummelling the opposition for the full 90 minutes is a big ask.  We had a good go at them - creating lots of chances, but if one of them doesn't go in, I'm not sure I have a problem protecting what we've got. Getting a tiring team to attack for the full 90 will leave us vulnerable on the break.

18 minutes ago, andya said:

Danny rowe scored hatrick to get brown sacked and we can't even score one goal

Yeah, that's relevant..

Pretty surprised about the reaction on here.  Thought we played well as a team today and were very unlucky not to win.  It looked like we were going to get dicked in every game just a few weeks ago.  The defence and 'keeper were solid.  The full-backs I think are our best players.  We knocked it about well in midfield (last season we didn't even have a midfield..or a defence!) and created loads up front.  Play like we did today and we only need one of our numerous chances to go in every other game and I reckon we'll be alright.  Got to give credit where credit's due..

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yeah, that's relevant..

Pretty surprised about the reaction on here.  Thought we played well as a team today and were very unlucky not to win.  It looked like we were going to get dicked in every game just a few weeks ago.  The defence and 'keeper were solid.  The full-backs I think are our best players.  We knocked it about well in midfield (last season we didn't even have a midfield..or a defence!) and created loads up front.  Play like we did today and we only need one of our numerous chances to go in every other game and I reckon we'll be alright.  Got to give credit where credit's due..

Broadly agree. My last game was at Orient and I wouldn’t have given us a cat in hell’s chance of staying up after that. Today we were the better team for most of the game, and all those in defence including the goalkeeper had a solid game, with Whelan also having a good game. Piergianni gets some stick on here, but he’s the focus of all defending and most attacking corners/throw ins and I for one am happy to see him on the team sheet for us (wasn’t he the subject of an offer from Mansfield a few weeks ago?). Mention for Couto too - looks to be a significant find (well done Paul Murray).

Subs were too late today - we lost the initiative after players like Stobbs and Dearnley faded (neither can be up to full fitness yet). Problem is, we don’t have the personnel to make positive, strong changes. Hallam Hope seems a nice bloke (first to come over to applaud the crowd), but sadly way off the pace at the moment.

Crowd were excellent from before ko to final whistle and a real credit to the club which gives heart for the future, wherever that is - amazing atmosphere considering we’re is such a sad position.

1 hour ago, andya said:

Danny rowe scored hatrick to get brown sacked and we can't even score one goal

Please get rid Keith prefer have harry kewel back and high scoring goals defeats again 

Southend fans on the pitch protesting against their chairman as well https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58771069 they're only above relegation on goal difference. Could well be us in 12 months time.

Spare a thought for Fort William. Since the 2017/18 season they've only won three games, all in season 2019/20. Today, they were winning 3 - 2 away at Clachnacuddin. They must have been getting excited. They lost 4 - 3.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:31 PM, SweeperKeeper said:

You haven't said anything about when we are the champions , 

When it comes to Latics, Too Much Love Will Kill You.  I'm sick of tuning into iFollow's Radio Gaga, hearing that our team of Fat Bottom Girls are constantly Under Pressure and waiting for the Hammer To Fall with poor Body Language.

When will we finally Play The Game with One Vision and A Kind of Magic, like we used to?  

For now the The Show Must Go On, but I fear it won't be long before Another One Bites the Dust.

It's A Hard Life.m

Ok , this was our first visit to an Oldham game this season , to see if we could be tempted back a bit more .Now I have read how bad we are but I couldn't believe how bad .I honestly think that they showed enough effort  but they lacked the talent as well as lacking guidance on the field and more importantly off .I was happy with the 2 centre backs Pidge and Macgehey or whatever hi called ( sorry ) , they were ok defensively. The left back looked clueless and the centre midfield lacked the ability to make a forward pass .Bahamboula is a box of tricks but when he makes the space with his trickery he needs to find the right pass .We didn't threaten that much going forward and it was crying out for a change in the 2nd half which didn't come til it was too late .This shows either a lack of ideas from the manager or a lack of trust in the ability of players on the bench .Mansfield were a poor side but never looked in trouble , as for Oldham, the one thing you couldn't criticise is the support who where noisy throughout and never turned on the players .My conclusion,  I don't know if we'll be back but if we do it will be a while .

6 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Not addressing the goal scoring situation in January will be make or break.

Are there still people who don't realise that the embargo means we have the slimmest of slim chances of getting a half decent striker in? 

1 hour ago, Yorkyp65 said:

Ok , this was our first visit to an Oldham game this season , to see if we could be tempted back a bit more .Now I have read how bad we are but I couldn't believe how bad .I honestly think that they showed enough effort  but they lacked the talent as well as lacking guidance on the field and more importantly off .I was happy with the 2 centre backs Pidge and Macgehey or whatever hi called ( sorry ) , they were ok defensively. The left back looked clueless and the centre midfield lacked the ability to make a forward pass .Bahamboula is a box of tricks but when he makes the space with his trickery he needs to find the right pass .We didn't threaten that much going forward and it was crying out for a change in the 2nd half which didn't come til it was too late .This shows either a lack of ideas from the manager or a lack of trust in the ability of players on the bench .Mansfield were a poor side but never looked in trouble , as for Oldham, the one thing you couldn't criticise is the support who where noisy throughout and never turned on the players .My conclusion,  I don't know if we'll be back but if we do it will be a while .

If you're talking about Coutto, I'm not sure you actually watched

9 hours ago, Yorkyp65 said:

Ok, see ya then :clown:

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Not getting at anybody for going- fair play. 

But I find the debate on the football completely pointless. 

?

So what your saying is ‘fair play to those who go to support the team’, even with the ongoing horror show off the pitch, but the ‘football on the pitch discussion’ is pointless?

Pointless as in it won’t change anything? Pointless as in we are crap so just accept the fact?

I don’t think the debate is pointless. Like it or not, the team we put out represents the club. Watching and debating the performance is one part of the reason why those who still attend do so.

It doesn’t mean that the discussion ignores or forgets the bigger issues that continue to drag the club down, it’s just what fans do surely?

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

We need to stay up.  Anyone who thinks relegation will bring anything other than more woes needs their head read.  Therefore, in spite of the route issue, the football is still important...

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Bonkers that League One !

Much better to get a view from our own supporters than some unknown journalist

What is happening on the pitch is because of the running of the club off it.

But what happens on the pitch is still very important and is definately not pointless.

Going out of the league would be disasterous, anyone thinking going out of the football league would be bottoming out is mad.

In league one some were saying going down would be the kick up the arse the club needed, well look how thats turning out.

As for the team, I have seen some improvement and some reasons to believe we are not gauranteed relagation material just yet, there are other teams more than happy to run us close for that.

We are very poor, but there are others just the same if not worse, find a way to score goals and we will have a chance, not that easy but we looked a threat up front yesterday for a change, still no goals but a little promise.

Abdallah and his brother must go, if this team manages to stay up, we can't go into another season with these at the healm.

Archived