MATCH: vs Ipswich Town (H) 16/11/21 #FACup 1st Round Replay 🏆

58 minutes ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

You chaps gave us a battle over two games and can hold your heads high.   Didn't think we'd win the replay at Boundary Park and was a little concerned over the first tie at Portman Road but we made it through.  

Looks like we'll be involved in the third round too as we have a very winnable tie in the second round with Barrow but really Cup wins at Ipswich are as rare as sightings of Lord Lucan.     Took a long range effort for us to win it and your goalkeeper was at fault of the first but applaud both teams for showing signs of character and determination.

Strongly feel Oldham have the attributes to get out of League Two, you just need to apply to the league what I've seen of these Cup games.     Took a moment to think back 30 years when both clubs were on the verge of a return to the old first division and some exciting players and team community were clearly evident.    You can't change or bring back the past but it's OK to reminisce every once in a while.     

I wouldn't take Barrow lightly. 

Big, ugly strong outfit who are good on set plays. If we have pushed you a little bit Barrow have every chance.

We are awful (much as it pains me to say it) and they could have had 5 of 6 against us. If your players aren't up for it, could be a potential banana skin

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

You chaps gave us a battle over two games and can hold your heads high.   Didn't think we'd win the replay at Boundary Park and was a little concerned over the first tie at Portman Road but we made it through.  

Looks like we'll be involved in the third round too as we have a very winnable tie in the second round with Barrow but really Cup wins at Ipswich are as rare as sightings of Lord Lucan.     Took a long range effort for us to win it and your goalkeeper was at fault of the first but applaud both teams for showing signs of character and determination.

Strongly feel Oldham have the attributes to get out of League Two, you just need to apply to the league what I've seen of these Cup games.     Took a moment to think back 30 years when both clubs were on the verge of a return to the old first division and some exciting players and team community were clearly evident.    You can't change or bring back the past but it's OK to reminisce every once in a while.     

There is no doubt that we are going to get out of league 2.

Unfortunately we will be going down, not up.

7 hours ago, Matt60 said:

Last night was the first game I have attended since pre covid.  Before covid I had been going with a friend and my dad for about 26 years and seen the steady decline both on and off the field.  Covid was obviously the main reasons that broke the tradition but during covid we had a second baby which took up a lot of time and made me reassess why I go, it wasn’t for the poor football that has been on display the team ended up being a location where we could all meet up and catch up, the essence of a Saturday.  With less time and less inclination we all decided not to return with the standard of football not improving, the fan unrest and ultimately no real direction occurring for the football team.

I decided to go last night to meet up with a family friend who was going and thought why not.  It was eye opening all the things you kind of ignore when you were going regularly. 

The first thing you come across is a dark car park, full of pot holes, nowhere to walk safely for pedestrians including children and dodging between the cars.  Then you come to a choice of walking through mud up a slope or around on concrete which has what can only be described as a river running down it when raining with the land to the left overgrown.

You approach a turnstile (Rochdale Road End) and you are forced to have cash available to pay to get in, I know a lot of people carry cash but I don’t tend to and have been attending a few non-league games recently where you can pay by card for everything.

The first thing you see on the floor is chunks of paint all over the floor where it has peeled off the walls followed by a refreshment area which looks like it hasn’t been touched in the 26 years we have been going.  In this day and age it isn’t hard to get a nice tasting hot drink but the tea and coffee look like something out of Alan Partridge’s travel tavern.

Then you go to the toilets which are appallingly falling apart, all the blue paint on the floor has rubbed off, signs on the door that say out of order and all advertising on the walls is either ripped, out dated or non-existent.

Inside the stadium I enjoyed seeing the pitch looking great as Tuesday nights always feel a better atmosphere and surprised by the number of people still attending who clearly have the love of Oldham at their heart and need to be congratulated.  We sit in the seats we used to have as season ticket holders and chat to the people who used to be sat around us when we went and this is what going to the game is all about, community, meeting friends and and conversation with everyone there.  One of the things that is always apparent and I feel is always missed by the club is the distinct lack of diversity within the ground. Oldham is one of the most diverse boroughs in Greater Manchester and this should be encouraged and celebrated within the ground, it should be a home for everyone and anyone.

Aside from the glaringly obvious issues of the ground the game was enjoyable and thought Oldham had enough in the first 70 minutes to win it as Ipswich were relatively poor.  As I say I haven’t watched many games so many on here will know better than me and everyone on a message board has players they like and dislike but my view was the tactic of three slow central defenders spread across the pitch seems one that is doomed to fail week in week out and will ultimately lead to numerous goals being conceded.  In possession the tactic is fine but as soon as we lost possession in the wrong area the opposition only needed to play one ball down the wings and the defence were all over the place and we were in trouble.  A lot of the chances were down the wing and cut back for the arriving players.  If I was an opposition manager I would be targeting this area every week.

Why we have managers who insist on 1 upfront (Bhamba was not playing upfront) is beyond me, at home people want to be entertained and Hope just had no pace, strength or ability to play that role by himself.  Second half the lack of substitutions killed us and we had no real plan of what to do except go deeper and deeper and eventually the inevitable goal came.  Then there was no rush to get any subs on (too late anyway) and the subs were just like for like, almost as though we had given up, a strange parallel to how it feels a lot of supporters feel about the club.

To cap it off at the end you leave by the bottom of the stand straight into a pile of mud and puddles where you can either decide to jump/jog down a short but steep slow onto tarmac or skate further across the mud until you hit some form of hard ground before returning through the car park attempting to avoid car racing for the exit.

An experience I enjoyed for the nostalgia but not one I will be repeating anytime soon, an all-round sad state of affairs where a lot of improvements could be made quickly with the right people in the club. Enjoy packing the park on Saturday and hopefully when the stand, land and ground can be joined together a new owner or group of people who have the interest, desire, drive and fundamentally the club at their heart can bring back the lost fans and make some easy improvements.

Great post. The fan experience off the pitch, never mind once the game starts, is a disgrace. Somebody should video that aspect and send it to the media, asking why the 🤡🤡 haven't done anything about it.

On Curle, he's now 7 games without a win, 5 of which were defeats. Last night was a free hit - a home game, against a higher division side, no points at stake. A great opportunity to try out new tactics/formation but no, same old same old. Leutwiler is rightly criticised for his part in the first goal (though Curle's public admission that he swore at him for the error is shoddy man-management - not an admission a top manager would make in public) but what about the acres of space that the Ipswich player had on the wing to put the cross over, as alluded to by @Matt60?

As bad as the owners are, and we do need to turf them out somehow, Curle is leading us into the NL - he has to go now.

I work on the turnstiles at BP and was on the RRE last night. The scanners we use work perfectly and can even read the barcodes without having to expand them on mobile phones. Much better way of getting in the ground and highly recommended.

39 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

The fan experience off the pitch, never mind once the game starts, is a disgrace. Somebody should video that aspect and send it to the media, asking why the 🤡🤡 haven't done anything about it.

Happy to be corrected here, but isn't the ground owned by Blitz(or his company) and therefore he is responsible for maintenance?

50 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Great post. The fan experience off the pitch, never mind once the game starts, is a disgrace. Somebody should video that aspect and send it to the media, asking why the 🤡🤡 haven't done anything about it.

On Curle, he's now 7 games without a win, 5 of which were defeats. Last night was a free hit - a home game, against a higher division side, no points at stake. A great opportunity to try out new tactics/formation but no, same old same old. Leutwiler is rightly criticised for his part in the first goal (though Curle's public admission that he swore at him for the error is shoddy man-management - not an admission a top manager would make in public) but what about the acres of space that the Ipswich player had on the wing to put the cross over, as alluded to by @Matt60?

As bad as the owners are, and we do need to turf them out somehow, Curle is leading us into the NL - he has to go now.

When I went to pick up my season ticket I had my Newcastle born and bred best friend with my. We parked in the main car park and walked round to ticket office 

she said 

“the whole place just screams neglect”

8 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Happy to be corrected here, but isn't the ground owned by Blitz(or his company) and therefore he is responsible for maintenance?

The club will hold some responsibility as they hold the safety certificate, something a former director used to remind us of regularly. So if things are unsafe then the club have some responsibility to fix them. The general wear and tear in the ground won’t have reached that stage yet, but the issues in the car park may have done.

It’s another scenario where because the ground is owned by a third party not connected the club it adds complications to responsibility. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I saw someone go through last night with no problems.

35 minutes ago, The Greek said:

I work on the turnstiles at BP and was on the RRE last night. The scanners we use work perfectly and can even read the barcodes without having to expand them on mobile phones. Much better way of getting in the ground and highly recommended.

Cheers folks 👍🏼

13 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

The club will hold some responsibility as they hold the safety certificate, something a former director used to remind us of regularly. So if things are unsafe then the club have some responsibility to fix them. The general wear and tear in the ground won’t have reached that stage yet, but the issues in the car park may have done.

It’s another scenario where because the ground is owned by a third party not connected the club it adds complications to responsibility. 

This from Rudemedic I’m a health and safety advisor and look after our head office as well as sites.

We lease the head office and the landlords are an absolute nightmare but should someone get injured as a result of a fault on the premises we are just as culpable and saying “we’ll that’s the landlord” wouldn’t cut it 

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

This is true it does somewhat depend on the leasing agreement in place which themselves can be complicated.

The worst part about it all is that neither the owner of the ground or the owner of the football club give a shit about anyone but themselves.

One day some unfortunate person will slip trying negotiate the grassy slope from the corner of the Rochdale Road end to the North Stand, at night matches there's no lighting in that area so its an accident waiting to happen, which could have serious repercussion for the club.

But who actually owns that stretch of undeveloped land and why wasn't safe access sorted when the North stand was built?

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

One day some unfortunate person will slip trying negotiate the grassy slope from the corner of the Rochdale Road end to the North Stand, at night matches there's no lighting in that area so its an accident waiting to happen, which could have serious repercussion for the club.

But who actually owns that stretch of undeveloped land and why wasn't safe access sorted when the North stand was built?

Its really difficult to say, it’s always been like that and nothing has ever happened to challenge it

my professional view is the lighting is completely insufficient but does Boundary Park have regular H & S Inspections where this would be highlighted? I doubt it. 

Our head office requires an inspection every quarter - our sites every 4 weeks but issues in between are meant to be raised and dealt with

There is nothing in place at Latics and if it is it’s insufficient for the very reasons raised but until something happens no one will care. Report to the HSE is an option but like social services that’s hit and miss 

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don't forget the main stand that's a death trap I nearly had to catch an older fella falling down those steps 2 years ago. Those old metal steps aren't safe either I slipped down them a couple of years and nearly 2 footed lunged a guy infront of me.

I think the term which was used in Matts very good post up the top was "peeling" it's a word that could describe Boundary Park very appropriately.

5 hours ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

Strongly feel Oldham have the attributes to get out of League Two

Thanks for your kind words Tractors, we all think of Ipswich as a proper football club so hope you get back to something like former glories soon.......and don’t worry about us getting out of League Two....that will definitely happen this season or next but almost certainly not the direction you suggest 🤣😒

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

I might be wrong but I’m sure I’ve either read or heard it confirmed recently that the lease AL has includes responsibility for maintenance. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I might be wrong but I’m sure I’ve either read or heard it confirmed recently that the lease AL has includes responsibility for maintenance. 

The area of concern looks a kind of no mans land to me, is that possible due to to it not being developed already?

Just now, BP1960 said:

Stockport a far better team than Latics.

Centre forward Scott Quigley is the type we should have signed, how is it he spent about 10 years in non league?

Stockport have at least 3 players that would improve our team by a huge amount.

I think curle thinks Hope is our Quigley....... not in the same league as a player, Quigley is the type of forward we need.

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Stockport have at least 3 players that would improve our team by a huge amount.

I think curle thinks Hope is our Quigley....... not in the same league as a player, Quigley is the type of forward we need.

stockport get double our attendances and have done for the last few years. They will be able to pay more than a lot of LG 2 sides hence quigley going there. No chance we would attract half their team on what we can pay. 

3 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

stockport get double our attendances and have done for the last few years. They will be able to pay more than a lot of LG 2 sides hence quigley going there. No chance we would attract half their team on what we can pay. 

The point I'm making is Quigley spent 5 years in Welsh non league, so could have been signed for next to nothing then.

2 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

That may be the case but as a club we have to really look hard at ourselves, new investment by new and enthusiastic owners should see us progress as a club.

County aren't any bigger a club than us, they just have a new belief around the club and people willing to invest in real footballers.

17 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

That may be the case but as a club we have to really look hard at ourselves, new investment by new and enthusiastic owners should see us progress as a club.

County aren't any bigger a club than us, they just have a new belief around the club and people willing to invest in real footballers.

True, we had far bigger crowds than them in the past so our potential is still there.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

True, we had far bigger crowds than them in the past so our potential is still there.

Hmm not sure we’d get 4k in national league north. They have a good core following. We can’t even get a half decent protest going. Would have to see if finishing in top half of a league and winning home games improves attendances. That won’t be for a while though! 

Archived