Interested Parties

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I do wonder in a few years we will see documentaries or even films about people who bet heavy on crypto and lost it all. They don't actually appear to have any value in them unless someone buys it off you.

Waiting to be called a dinosaur...  It's so reminiscent of the 1999-2000 tech boom which was all based on nascent internet companies.  Obviously the technology was a winner but a lot of investments crashed and burned before anyone could divine which was which.  We never learn.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Waiting to be called a dinosaur...  It's so reminiscent of the 1999-2000 tech boom which was all based on nascent internet companies.  Obviously the technology was a winner but a lot of investments crashed and burned before anyone could divine which was which.  We never learn.

The old saying, that it wasn't the gold prospectors in the Yukon who made a fortune but the guys who sold them the picks and shovels etc., springs to mind.

I don't pretend to understand cryptocurrencies themselves other than that they are/can be ridiculously volatile, but I suspect the blockchain technology behind it will prosper over time.

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Cryptocurrency is not a safe investment, but you can make money from it if done correctly. 

That applies to everything.  It's not an investment though, it's a punt.  I am a big racing fan and no stranger to a punt but the key is knowing when you've made a good bet and when you've got lucky.   The people who get carried away are often those who got lucky and concluded that they were geniuses

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That applies to everything.  It's not an investment though, it's a punt.  I am a big racing fan and no stranger to a punt but the key is knowing when you've made a good bet and when you've got lucky.   The people who get carried away are often those who got lucky and concluded that they were geniuses

We neither made a good bet or got lucky Dave with ALMO!!

Bitcoin will rally and reach £100k+ I believe within the next 24 months. Not a bad investment or punt at the current buying price of around £23k. In November 2021 it was over £50k so there will be some burnt short term investors out there.

I'd certainly be giving it a "buy and hold" rating today but it's still a risky commodity. If it gets to £50k sell half of what you bought and hold the rest keeping your 🤞

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We neither made a good bet or got lucky Dave with ALMO!!

Bitcoin will rally and reach £100k+ I believe within the next 24 months. Not a bad investment or punt at the current buying price of around £23k. In November 2021 it was over £50k so there will be some burnt short term investors out there.

I'd certainly be giving it a "buy and hold" rating today but it's still a risky commodity. If it gets to £50k sell half of what you bought and hold the rest keeping your 🤞

Ain't no bargepole long enough

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It’s even worse than that. 

dotcom bubble was a dangerous combination of excitable kids, thinking any domain would boom, convincing old bankers they needed to invest in them of miss the boat. Most of that failed. Some survived and became big, but the tech boom of the last 15 years is very different to all of that. It’s based on something.  

Crypto is largely myth. It’s certainly no hedge, which is what it’s often promoted as. It’s looking very much like a fad. The underlying tech is very interesting and usable, but this obsession with get rich coins is mindless. 

11 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

It’s even worse than that. 

dotcom bubble was a dangerous combination of excitable kids, thinking any domain would boom, convincing old bankers they needed to invest in them of miss the boat. Most of that failed. Some survived and became big, but the tech boom of the last 15 years is very different to all of that. It’s based on something.  

Crypto is largely myth. It’s certainly no hedge, which is what it’s often promoted as. It’s looking very much like a fad. The underlying tech is very interesting and usable, but this obsession with get rich coins is mindless. 

As with most of these ‘fads’ those who get in early are the ones who make the money. 
Non Fungible Tokens are the way forward 😉

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

As with most of these ‘fads’ those who get in early are the ones who make the money. 

Yes. They get out…and people at end of the ponzi get fleeced.  Tulips! 

6 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

The old saying, that it wasn't the gold prospectors in the Yukon who made a fortune but the guys who sold them the picks and shovels etc., springs to mind.

I don't pretend to understand cryptocurrencies themselves other than that they are/can be ridiculously volatile, but I suspect the blockchain technology behind it will prosper over time.

The fella from Glodwick didn't do too bad (prospecting in Australia mind) - Nugget Street named after him - fascinating Oldham fact!

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Does anyone think it's a possibility a new owner could pay off AL and rent the stadium with a view to buying it in the future?

For me there would have to be doubts surrounding any such owner having the necessary clout to take the club forward.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

For me there would have to be doubts surrounding any such owner having the necessary clout to take the club forward.

Correct, I think Corney managed to find the only idiot on the planet prepared to take the club on under these terms.

22 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Does anyone think it's a possibility a new owner could pay off AL and rent the stadium with a view to buying it in the future?

the only way that would work is if the new owner already had a site to move  the club to should negotiations fail with blitz you deal from a position of strength but as we and blitz well know such sites are few and far between within the borough and the track record of the council with allowing development for professional sport is poor  

Archived