Doing the 116

Assuming we go down, it'll open up a whole swathe of new grounds, some of which OAFC will have never have played a competitive fixture at before which is quite exciting.

Obviously at the end of the season there'll be some of us who've done "the 92" (I'll be on 91...) - and by this I'm talking about ticking off the club (i.e. if you went to see us play Arsenal at Highbury, it counts), competitive games only (no friendlies), and seeing Oldham play (i.e. no England games count).

By my reckoning, of the 23 teams in the Conference next season, there will be between 8 (worst case) and 15 (best case) brand new grounds for us, so the possible range people will be 'on' will be 101-108. Where do you stand? Out of the current 23 in the NL I've done 10, plus 3 from the NLN contenders and 1 from the NLS, so I'll be on something like 102 or so, depending on who goes up/down.

For reference (bold = never played):

Halifax
Chesterfield
Stockport
Boreham Wood       
Notts County
Bromley        
Dagenham
Wrexham
Grimsby
Solihull    
Yeovil
Torquay
Eastleigh    
Woking        
Barnet        
Altrincham    

Aldershot
Wealdstone    
Southend
Maidenhead   
Weymouth    

King's Lynn
Dover        
--
Plus two from:
Gateshead
Brackley    
Fylde        
Chorley        

Kidderminster
Southport
--
And two from:
Dorking        
Ebbsfleet    

Maidstone
Oxford City    
Dartford    
Chippenham    
Dulwich Hamlet  
St Albans

17 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Assuming we go down, it'll open up a whole swathe of new grounds, some of which OAFC will have never have played a competitive fixture at before which is quite exciting.

Obviously at the end of the season there'll be some of us who've done "the 92" (I'll be on 91...) - and by this I'm talking about ticking off the club (i.e. if you went to see us play Arsenal at Highbury, it counts), competitive games only (no friendlies), and seeing Oldham play (i.e. no England games count).

By my reckoning, of the 23 teams in the Conference next season, there will be between 8 (worst case) and 15 (best case) brand new grounds for us, so the possible range people will be 'on' will be 101-108. Where do you stand? Out of the current 23 in the NL I've done 10, plus 3 from the NLN contenders and 1 from the NLS, so I'll be on something like 102 or so, depending on who goes up/down.

Halifax
Chesterfield
Stockport
Boreham Wood       
Notts County
Bromley        
Dagenham
Wrexham
Grimsby
Solihull    
Yeovil
Torquay
Eastleigh    
Woking        
Barnet        
Altrincham    

Aldershot
Wealdstone    
Southend
Maidenhead   
Weymouth    

King's Lynn
Dover        
--
Plus two from:
Gateshead
Brackley    
Fylde        
Chorley        

Kidderminster
Southport
--
And two from:
Dorking        
Ebbsfleet    

Maidstone
Oxford City    
Dartford    
Chippenham    
Dulwich Hamlet  
St Albans

Christ that's depressing

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Christ that's depressing

You say this for obvious reasons, however. Let's just say we get what we want this summer new owners coming I'm with a plan that they actually execute a new manager with a host of new signings that come together and we have a real go at going up (and when I say a real go I mean we go into the last game of the season with a chance of going up, not a flirtation with the play offs then falling away a real go) then suddenly these trips to these outposts that we've never been to before suddenly and start to look enticing.

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Halifax
Chesterfield
Stockport
Boreham Wood       
Notts County
Bromley        
Dagenham
Wrexham
Grimsby
Solihull    
Yeovil
Torquay
Eastleigh    
Woking        
Barnet        
Altrincham    

Aldershot
Wealdstone    
Southend
Maidenhead   
Weymouth    

King's Lynn
Dover        
--
Plus two from:
Gateshead
Brackley    
Fylde        
Chorley        

Kidderminster
Southport
--
And two from:
Dorking        
Ebbsfleet    

Maidstone
Oxford City    
Dartford    
Chippenham    
Dulwich Hamlet  
St Albans

I'm sure you mean well but that is such a shit post, sorry.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You say this for obvious reasons, however. Let's just say we get what we want this summer new owners coming I'm with a plan that they actually execute a new manager with a host of new signings that come together and we have a real go at going up (and when I say a real go I mean we go into the last game of the season with a chance of going up, not a flirtation with the play offs then falling away a real go) then suddenly these trips to these outposts that we've never been to before suddenly and start to look enticing.

I get what you're saying and maybe I will change view if things pan out as you outline

Right now I can't see going to places that sound like they are straight of an Enid Blyton novel anything near "enticing"

On reflection, @oafcmetty, I should apologise, I think my post above was badly worded. I'm with @Chaddyexile84, who's put it better than I did. Like him I just can't get excited at the thought of playing anybody, anywhere, in the National League. It really makes me feel miserable!

I appreciate you're trying to stay positive, as we all must. It's bloody difficult though!

No offence taken - I'm past the point of caring about our league position, just want our club back, and to enjoy some fun away days. Bring on Dorking I say, we'll batter them (cue 2-0 defeat opening day next season).

2 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I’m looking forwards to Wealdstone (a) and the meeting of minds that will be Birkett v The Raider 

Where do Weadstone play these days? When I lived in Harrow they played there but they sold it and a supermarket was built on the ground. I think they then went to play at Watford.

5 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Barnet        
Altrincham    

Have you really never played Barnet? We have quite a history with them. 

As for Alty, we managed to lose at home to them in the FA Cup. Twice.

2 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Wouldn't like to be paying our travel and hotel costs for away days next season in the National league. 

There are a hell of a lot of Southern teams to play. Which is probably ok for Oasis members. 

time for a "beardybus"

18 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Nope, neither of them

We had two years running in the first couple of years after they (Barnet) came up (early 90's) when we were promotion rivals, and we actually beat them in a play-off semi-final. They had Bull and Carter then and scored goals for fun.

When we played them in L2 in 2000/01 we lost there 7-0 early in the season ; but we went up and they went down in the end. The new ground is pretty soulless compared with Underhill. 

8 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Halifax
Chesterfield
Stockport
Boreham Wood       
Notts County
Bromley        
Dagenham
Wrexham
Grimsby
Solihull    
Yeovil
Torquay
Eastleigh    
Woking        
Barnet        
Altrincham    

Aldershot
Wealdstone    
Southend
Maidenhead   
Weymouth    

King's Lynn
Dover        
--
Plus two from:
Gateshead
Brackley    
Fylde        
Chorley        

Kidderminster
Southport
--
And two from:
Dorking        
Ebbsfleet    

Maidstone
Oxford City    
Dartford    
Chippenham    
Dulwich Hamlet  
St Albans

Imagine Altrincham away. That will be awesome. Other highlights will be chorley, st albans; Southend and Halifax 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Just think, if we whoosh straight through the National League we could be 'doing the 130 odd'... 

We may have a claim on having played the most different clubs in competitive fixtures. Maybe?

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Imagine Altrincham away. That will be awesome. Other highlights will be chorley, st albans; Southend and Halifax 

I'm with the naysayers on this thread, but I drive through Chorely quite a bit and man there's a lot of pubs. Station's quite near the ground too. 

I fear many of these supposedly "exciting' trips will be in grounds in the middle of nowhere in towns (villages?) unaccustomed to football crowds.... like Forest fucking Green. 

We need to stay up.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I'm with the naysayers on this thread, but I drive through Chorely quite a bit and man there's a lot of pubs. Station's quite near the ground too. 

I fear many of these supposedly "exciting' trips will be in grounds in the middle of nowhere in towns (villages?) unaccustomed to football crowds.... like Forest fucking Green. 

We need to stay up.

I went to Chorley v Halifax a couple of years back when we were down south somewhere, mainly due to Pete Wild being Halifax manager. I can confirm there are plenty of pubs. There’s a cracking food offering in the ground (Magpie’s nest) but it’s in the home end so Won’t get to use it. The away end is about 20 yards wide so the chances of getting a ticket are slim. 

Archived