Non league! What to expect

No l mean the whole general conversation behind the scenes for every single one of our matches, he is out there to anybody who will listen repeating his crawley at home stuff but making it sound like the country needs to prepare for our fans every few weeks.

apparantley fixtures below L2 arent done so late as an afterthought, its more the exact opposite w regards to police planning as to what needs attention and what can be pretty much left alone.

lve also been told some of what he is asking for like midday kick offs when we are playing halfway to denmark will happen anyway due to TV. 

what these percieved successes will lead to is anybodys guess 😞

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What's his reasoning behind this? I know that Tranmere often play on a Friday due to Liverpool/Everton. Is it that he thinks it will have the same effect on Latics that it does with them? Didn't Warnock moot something similar when he was in charge here? Sure we had a few Friday night games and not for TV...

Two - Gillingham 7/11/97 (W 3-1), Walsall 19/12/97 (D 0-0)

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

No l mean the whole general conversation behind the scenes for every single one of our matches, he is out there to anybody who will listen repeating his crawley at home stuff but making it sound like the country needs to prepare for our fans every few weeks.

apparantley fixtures below L2 arent done so late as an afterthought, its more the exact opposite w regards to police planning as to what needs attention and what can be pretty much left alone.

lve also been told some of what he is asking for like midday kick offs when we are playing halfway to denmark will happen anyway due to TV. 

what these percieved successes will lead to is anybodys guess 😞

Our closest game to Denmark is probably Scunny :chubb:

7 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Teams can request to play each other over the festive period and I believe that one club across the M62 has requested a boxing day/NYD double header against Oldham...

my local non league team (oh wait!) Aldershot do this with big local rivals Woking…with the East Bank terrace joyfully singing….to a well know Live Aid tune…

”Beat the Woking…..let them know it’s Christmas time….” 

15 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

It would be a masterstroke to move your home games to a Friday. You would be able to boycott on an entirely new day.

Has anyone got a handy list of the player incoming and outgoings you have had since relegation?  

Incoming

Liam Hogan

Chris Porter

Jordan Windass

Outgoing

Davis Keillor Dunne

Carl Piergianni

Callum Whelan

Dylan Bahamboula

Kyle Jamieson 

Danny Rogers

Dylan Fage

Tope Obedai

Raphael Diarra

Ousse Cisse

Jamie Hopcutt

Christopher Missilou

None of the outgoings have me shedding tears

14 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Cheers Chaddy. 

I have to say - that looks a bit worrying.

The outgoings aren't 

Bringing in Windass is, as is the uncertainty round Porter re injury record 

We seem to have done some quick business to please the "realistic" lot and I now expect it to be quiet till end of July when Fage and Hopcutt re sign 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The outgoings aren't 

Bringing in Windass is, as is the uncertainty round Porter re injury record 

We seem to have done some quick business to please the "realistic" lot and I now expect it to be quiet till end of July when Fage and Hopcutt re sign 

I can't comment on outgoings, obviously. Except to say that if they couldn't cut it in the bottom half of L2 they would have found the NL a struggle. I am also a bit underwhelmed by Windass, and Porter can't be far off packing it in, can he?

4 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Incoming

Liam Hogan

Chris Porter

Jordan Windass

Outgoing

Davis Keillor Dunne

Carl Piergianni

Callum Whelan

Dylan Bahamboula

Kyle Jamieson 

Danny Rogers

Dylan Fage

Tope Obedai

Raphael Diarra

Ousse Cisse

Jamie Hopcutt

Christopher Missilou

None of the outgoings have me shedding tears

Add Adams to the list of outgoings too.

In an absolutely shite side that was relegated Keillor Dunn’s record of 15 goals in 46 league games has to be respected.

With proper coaching in a decent set up he could become a very good player.

There’s no doubt he can finish and without his contribution we’d have been down by March!!

14 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

In an absolutely shite side that was relegated Keillor Dunn’s record of 15 goals in 46 league games has to be respected.

With proper coaching in a decent set up he could become a very good player.

There’s no doubt he can finish and without his contribution we’d have been down by March!!

his record last year was good considering he’s so poor. He can’t control pass or hold up ball. He’ll never be a good player but can sniff out a goal and agree we’d have been down earlier without his goals

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 7:49 AM, GrimReaper said:

* waves *

Here's what you've got to look forward to:

It'll seem like a bit of a blur at first, anger and upset at the fact you've been relegated. It hasn't sunk in. You'll Google the teams who you'll be playing next season, have a sly chuckle at their names and attendances. It won't be that bad will it. You've got over relegation and you've accepted it. It'll be a change from the usual grind of the league. Who needs the Football League when you've new teams to play, new away days, teams you'll expect to batter each week. It'll be fun, a year of this will be easy.

Fixtures come out. Woo hoo!

Hang on we aren't on them, oh yes we've been relegated. National League fixtures come out in a few weeks. You worry as you've not heard of any of the players you've signed. NL fixtures are published, you start working out by the end of August you'll have maximum points and the congac and cigars will be out. "Piss this tinpot league!", and a ball hasn't been kicked.

First game. It all seems a bit strange, like a parallel universe. Everything seems different, have I come to the wrong game. We'll still win though, get that champagne on ice. But you don't, you lose at home to Eastleigh and it won't stop. August ends after a flurry of fixtures and you aren't top. Solihull Moors are three points clear of the pack. You look wistfully at the league 2 table.

It gets worse. You still check the league 2 scores, fixtures and table but then sheepishly look at the correct one. You'll get turned over at home by what looks like a pub team in yellow and green, called something like Cockspickle Welfare on a Tuesday night away game at some God forsaken place in a cup you never knew existed.

Now it's FA Cup time, hang on, qualifying round? Why is this happening. We have to win a game just to get to the 1st round? Which you'll inevitably lose to Exeter. Nevermind there's this "FA Trophy" which has a final at Wembley. Brilliant. Its practically a free pass to a trophy and a day out at Wembley. Oh you'll lose away to Workington, or at home to Telford.

Then you stagger punch drunk post Christmas towards the end of the season. Counting how many points you need to stay in this league whilst gazing up the table with envy at Fylde and Dorking. League 2 seems like a distant memory, a long lost love you never truly appreciated.

Life won't be the same again. You may go back up, you may go down again or you may end up trapped forever. Enjoy.

Well we were warned this appears to be how it's playing out.

Did anyone truly believe this would be any different and we'd waltz past these minnows after all we were a premier league club 30 years ago....

No it's tough and we still have a shit load of transitioning to do before we have a squad ready for promotion.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well we were warned this appears to be how it's playing out.

Did anyone truly believe this would be any different and we'd waltz past these minnows after all we were a premier league club 30 years ago....

No it's tough and we still have a shit load of transitioning to do before we have a squad ready for promotion.

Yes, it is a very prophetic post and I am not surprised at all.

The gripe is the way the players are playing and the revelation re: preparations for games...or the lack of it. Team effort would be appreciated, not watching the opposition waltz through a set of bewildered and unprepared players, as it seems that is what we are getting served up right now.

Transitioning could also include a change of management if the current incumbent cannot oversee what is needed to remain in this league at the right end of the table.

16 hours ago, Red Adair said:

The play offs should be a minimum ask for a club the size of Oldham. 

You would think so wouldn't you, however we are still adjusting to life in the NL. The new owner is still getting his feet under the table, the new squad hasnt yet fully come together, and the squad we currently have looks like it still needs a few tweeks.

But if the season pans out the way I expect and the club evolves properly both on and off the pitch, then don't rule out a late play off charge from us.

Archived