Non league! What to expect

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

However, if by some miracle the club gets to the FA trophy final 20,000 will be sold, that's how fickle fans are.

That's just common sense.   There is zero possibility of me buying a season ticket.  if we get to Wembley I'd be there.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical non league thinking. This seasons PO final is being held at West Ham United. Announced yesterday. On Jubillee bank holiday weekend when transport and hotels will be at a premium.

Not one of the current top 7 sides are based south of Birmingham. 
Absolute nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, Red Adair said:

Typical non league thinking. This seasons PO final is being held at West Ham United. Announced yesterday. On Jubillee bank holiday weekend when transport and hotels will be at a premium.

Absolute nonsense. 

Not specific to non-league - FA Cup semi between City & Liverpool at Wembley on Easter weekend with no trains to Euston

TBH when we dropped it was probably more a culture shock for us because there were more Harrogates and Barrows than Chesterfields and Notts Countys.

Think only Grimsby, Lincoln and perennial residents Wrexham were what you'd call proper EFL sized clubs when we crashed into it in 2015.

Nowadays the gulf between the two leagues has narrowed significantly from then, certainly the bottom end/top end. The NL is stacked with more big clubs taking over it.

Without sounding brutal you ain't doing a thing in it unless you get the Lemsagams out the club. If Mo couldn't recruit for toffee in a bigger pool of Football League recruitment I struggle to fathom how he could find players or a suitable manager that suits this challenging task for you ahead.

Best case scenario new owners, Wrexham follow Stockport up getting the two mega budget clubs out, and Halifax stay down and your new owners get Pete Wild in and then try and build a team that in 2-3 seasons can escape (the two escape routes make it very unforgiving)

P.S. our season's done too so Saturday is just gonna be one big cry-off my end. Not even in the banter mood!

7 minutes ago, Red Adair said:

Absolute nonsense. 

And Wales have their WQQ final, which lots of Wrexham fans will miss (should they be in the final). Shame.

Notts fan here. 

If you can sort your owners out then it's really not all that bad. 

When we came down it was because our chairman overspent and he ended up going bankrupt. We've got new owners who are more long term thinking and although we have a good sized budget it's not Stockport of Wrexhams. 

About half the league is the graveyard of mismanaged clubs and although we weren't in the Prem we were there the year before you goes so I understand the fall from grace. 

One tough part is no believes you when you says it's alright and the quality is a lot better than people imagine. The biggest headcase clubs thanks to their chairman are going down so if decent clubs get promoted it will be 99 percent full time. 

The hardest part as everyone has said is getting out, even with a new owner, money etc 1 auto spot makes things very tough. 

To be honest once the season starts and if you do get off pitch stuff sorted you'll soon be in the flow of it. 

On 4/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, oafcmetty said:

And Wales have their WQQ final, which lots of Wrexham fans will miss (should they be in the final). Shame.

It’s a sore point, but the original World Cup playoff was supposed to be last month, but obviously because of what’s going on in Ukraine it was delayed. 
Many fans are torn, however we haven’t reached the play off final yet. 

23 minutes ago, Red Adair said:

It’s a sore point, but the original World Cup playoff was supposed to be last month, but obviously because of what’s going on in Ukraine it was delayed. 
Many fans are torn, however we haven’t reached the play off final yet. 

well, actually, it should have six months ago but Sepp sold it to a racist, mysoginistic, evil desert wholly unfit to host a world cup.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:52 AM, No Pyro No Party said:

Sorry for sounding so ignorant with this post but is anyone else reading these team names and wondering what’s going on?

Also had to Google what the FA Trophy is and how it works. The prospect of watching us play Morpeth Town on a cold Tuesday night makes Latics v Stevenage feel like El Classico now. 

Feels like we’re living through a Stephen King novel after he watched Goal 2. Hitting home like a tonne of bricks now.

Misery...

Most of our players played like they had had both ankles broken this season

On 4/26/2022 at 11:33 AM, BP1960 said:

However, if by some miracle the club gets to the FA trophy final 20,000 will be sold, that's how fickle fans are.

No there won't. There is no way Latics would ever sell 20,00 tickets - you are living in cloud cuckoo land. 

7 hours ago, wiseowl said:

No there won't. There is no way Latics would ever sell 20,00 tickets - you are living in cloud cuckoo land. 

I remember when I started watching us regularly in the mid eighties and we used to get 3000, rugby used to get more some weeks, who'd of thought a few years later we'd be selling out home games at around 20k and taking was it 40k? to Wembley?

Now this town has had nothing to celebrate in sporting terms for years despite producing some fine men and women who have excelled , a rugby team without a home and funding and a football team that is officially the least successful in the country that have finished no higher than 14th in any season in the past 12 years (9 of them 16th or below), who knows what a change of fortune would bring, support despite it being tested is as strong as ever in some respects and a trip to Wembley would see plenty just going for the day out who have not been for years, even though 20k is optimistic I'm pretty sure we would take a good few if ever we had an upturn, just look at the ground the last few weeks on the back of one managerial appointment, there is also a significant number of younger fans watching us at the minute who I applaud, I'd love them to have the same experiences i had in the late 80's and early 90's and a little taste of success they really do deserve it.

I'm hopeful that one day the good times will return and the town has a team it can be proud of and get behind, if it does who knows what we'd take.

12 hours ago, wiseowl said:

always hilarious when people say this and theyre the ones wrong.

5000+ libpool

5000+ everton

6200+ libpool

5500+ fulham

20 000 for Wembley be easy w all the day trippers.

1 minute ago, OldhamAthlete said:

Macclesfield who are at step 4, we are step 1. Are to move to a daytime training model next season, ie full time.

Clubs being subsidised and they are effectively a National League team ability wise.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:01 PM, singe said:

I've tried to find the away capacities for next season. not 100% complete and Covid made it tricky to find some info, but here is the first draft.

Scunthorpe        1,678
~ Wrexham        1,200
~ FC Halifax Town        1,450
~ Solihull Moors        1,200
~ Chesterfield         2,112
~ Grimsby Town        2,200
~ Notts County        1,300
~ Dag & Redbridge        1,200
Boreham Wood        1,434
Torquay United         1,100
Bromley        1,434
Yeovil Town        1,500
Southend United        2,000
Woking        2,300
Altrincham        1,434
Wealdstone           448
Maidenhead United           877
Barnet        1,434
Eastleigh        1,000
Aldershot Town        1,200
Gateshead        4,000
? Brackley Town  
? AFC Fylde             
? Kidderminster H          
?Chorley        
? Boston United           877
? Kettering Town          
? York City                     
Maidstone United           426
? Dorking Wanderers  
? Ebbsfleet United  
? Dartford  
? Oxford City  
? Eastbourne Boro               ? 

Maidstone were offering 600 segregated places, including 30 seats at the front. For NLS we went non segregated for all games except Kent derbies where the police restricted numbers to 300. Nobody knows How far along the black netting will be next season. Some of you will remember the ground from when you knocked us out of the FA Cup a few years back.

Archived