What's the rationale for no streaming in the National League?

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It was on BBC radio Devon, so it was free..

Decent and balanced. A Scottish chap, who seemed unbiased probably because he didn’t really have any connection to either team! Said Gardner was the best player on the pitch..

The point being made I think was that if that sort of coverage was available every week for free, why would you pay? Not sure how often it would be, mind..

Ill not be paying for subscriptions to Latics player or whatever it is. I’ve spent enough on Latics already this season and (while not quite preferring “waterboarding” or “nails down the blackboard”) I just can’t listen to the club’s commentary anymore..

No, the BBC is definitely £14 a month unless he was listening to it illegally 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

No, the BBC is definitely £14 a month unless he was listening to it illegally 

Fair play Harry if you mean the TV license is £14/month

I'd have bought one of those anyway so perhaps I should have said zero incremental cost

Looked like most games were available on the BBC website so I expect to get to listen to most games for zero additional cost.

I think it interesting that the National league doesn't impose restrictions in the same way the EFL does on commentary.

Maybe the EFL think there is enough paying ifollow customers to make it worthwhile whereas listening to an away national league game is a bit special interest.

If some of the teams in this league only attract 1000 for a home game how many would pay for a commentary for an away game?

I think in one of the lockdowns someone on here posted numbers using the ifollow ap. Wasn't a huge revenue source but I guess it all helps.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:53 PM, mcfluff1985 said:

OAFT, PTB, FLG need to clarify with the club whether they are allowed to stream. I'm assuming not. By small chance they were, what would be the cost, would it be viable

They aren’t allowed to stream. They have a blackout period from the game until Monday as BT have full rights to show footage only until Mondays. Very strange set up for the league especially given the distance away that some of the clubs are from each other. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I haven't the faintest idea how much it would cost to stream to an acceptable standard but when some clubs barely get 1,000 in the ground it's hard to imagine that the revenue would cover it.

Unfortunately, I think this is the crux of it. Considerably less than 100,000 watch a game in the NL each weekend (probably nearer 50,000). If you assume (for example) 20% of those people might buy a stream, and you have to provide twelve platforms to cover them all, I can see why it might not be commercially viable. And that is before you consider local issues at stadia.

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

They aren’t allowed to stream. They have a blackout period from the game until Monday as BT have full rights to show footage only until Mondays. Very strange set up for the league especially given the distance away that some of the clubs are from each other. 

Cheers. Tin pot league this

10 hours ago, adamoafc said:

But Grimsby and Southend streamed matches last season and maybe one or two more

1 hour ago, DorsetBlue said:

But Grimsby and Southend streamed matches last season and maybe one or two more

Do you have details of the games? I can’t find anything to suggest this is correct, unless there was special circumstances, match streaming isn’t permitted. 

Can’t give you the exact games and it wasn’t every match. It was via IFollow and those two plus a couple more as well, can’t recall who.

There’s been a clampdown now and you can only listen to commentary or watch (when applicable) from the country in which it was purchased. If you have a VPN it won’t work full stop, you’d have to switch it off.

I’d auto-renewed the commentary and was in Portugal until Monday and tried to listen on the iPad, no joy, then tried the company laptop with VPN and again no joy, but in doing that, it had locked my account apparently 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, Dave_Og said:

It is. So only available locally 

I managed to get the commentary on BBC Radio Manchester today in Sussex. Maybe because it was not a 3 o’clock ko?

Archived