What's the rationale for no streaming in the National League?

Anyone know?

It's strange how quickly you get used to being able to pay £10 to watch/suffer every single match we play.

I've become the kind of man I always hated.... 

I'll try and get to as many aways as possible but intend to never visit Southend again in my life. It'll be frustrating not being able to watch it at home.

Surely there's not enough money at stake in terms of people paying to watch on TV rather than paying in?

How many would have watched at home rather than make a weekend of Torquay? Not many I'd wager 

Woking, for example, must be about to miss out on hundreds of tenners from Latics supporters who were never going to make a Tuesday night trek to pay £20 to get in?  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Anyone know?

It's strange how quickly you get used to being able to pay £10 to watch/suffer every single match we play.

I've become the kind of man I always hated.... 

I'll try and get to as many aways as possible but intend to never visit Southend again in my life. It'll be frustrating not being able to watch it at home.

Surely there's not enough money at stake in terms of people paying to watch on TV rather than paying in?

How many would have watched at home rather than make a weekend of Torquay? Not many I'd wager 

Woking, for example, must be about to miss out on hundreds of tenners from Latics supporters who were never going to make a Tuesday night trek to pay £20 to get in?  

I sort of know. A few of us were looking to set up a guérilla commentary operation to stop Abdallah making money out of it and we ended up asking a few folk who’ve already done it and a few club media bloke types. 

The National League is a terrible organisation. Lord knows the Football League has its shortcomings, but the NL makes the Football League look like a beacon of sound management. 

That’s the first reason. Clubs know that the less they have to do with the administrators of the league, the better off they are. 

The second reason is the pandemic. There used to be a platform (I forget the name) but the agreement went south during the pandemic and now each club makes its own arrangements. 

There’s nothing to say that clubs can’t stream a match (audio and visual) on a Satdi or any other day as long as BT aren’t televising it. 

The problem is that not a lot of the clubs have the wherewithal to do it. It really is that shit and the sooner we’re out of it the better. 

Myself and many other couldn't even get the audio on Saturday with  Error 100 showing on all devices and different browsers.

The club have yet to post on the official site what they are going to about it in future.

46 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

The problem is that not a lot of the clubs have the wherewithal to do it.

It's volunteers that keep it going for many non league outfits, even in the steps below.

The full culture shock of being in the National League hasn't sunk in yet has it. It might have been nice this weekend going to Torquay in the sunshine. Torquay have been a league club it's a ground we have been to before. It's when we see the following Wealdstone bring in a Tuesday night and having to go to such grounds where the reality will kick in. Its why I'm cautious about our chances this season.

52 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The full culture shock of being in the National League hasn't sunk in yet has it. It might have been nice this weekend going to Torquay in the sunshine. Torquay have been a league club it's a ground we have been to before. It's when we see the following Wealdstone bring in a Tuesday night and having to go to such grounds where the reality will kick in. Its why I'm cautious about our chances this season.

Agree. Weadstone got 1,090 for their opening home game on Saturday....and that's with the famous Raider!

Some of the covid live-streaming at this level was truly terrible. Automatic cameras that didn’t follow play, streams that cut out as soon as they had started. The thing that really grates is BT not allowing clubs to release highlights until midnight Sunday. End up looking for vlogs recorded by fans to see goals and highlights. Maidstone had a chap who used to livestream via Facebook, but think he must have been warned off.

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Myself and many other couldn't even get the audio on Saturday with  Error 100 showing on all devices and different browsers.

The club have yet to post on the official site what they are going to about it in future.

They’ve posted that they are aware of it and that it’s been raised with the provider. The club can’t really do much. Which is why anyone calling Roy during the match with their personal situation is pointless. 

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

They’ve posted that they are aware of it and that it’s been raised with the provider. The club can’t really do much. Which is why anyone calling Roy during the match with their personal situation is pointless. 

Because he's said he has a link with ifollow and passes on any problems. 

It's ridiculous the audio commentary opens only minutes before the kick off, why can't they do it earlier like the video stream?

I listened to the match via BBC Sounds on Radio Devon on my iPhone.  A lot of games in the national league were covered so for commentary I suggest you go there.  It was one sided but also rather balanced if that makes sense.

For what its worth I thought the BBC Devon commentary was pretty good. Obviously there was some 'home' perspective but that is to be expected.

Their assessment of the action seemed balanced. They seemed to be on top of who was playing for us. Something I think most of us struggled with in the early weeks of recent seasons.

If we get that level of coverage for the majority of games this season free I'll be happy.

37 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

For what its worth I thought the BBC Devon commentary was pretty good. Obviously there was some 'home' perspective but that is to be expected.

Their assessment of the action seemed balanced. They seemed to be on top of who was playing for us. Something I think most of us struggled with in the early weeks of recent seasons.

If we get that level of coverage for the majority of games this season free I'll be happy.

Doubt it. Most other areas have more teams to cover

38 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Free? £14 a month isn't it?

35 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Free? £14 a month isn't it?

It was on BBC radio Devon, so it was free..

Decent and balanced. A Scottish chap, who seemed unbiased probably because he didn’t really have any connection to either team! Said Gardner was the best player on the pitch..

The point being made I think was that if that sort of coverage was available every week for free, why would you pay? Not sure how often it would be, mind..

Ill not be paying for subscriptions to Latics player or whatever it is. I’ve spent enough on Latics already this season and (while not quite preferring “waterboarding” or “nails down the blackboard”) I just can’t listen to the club’s commentary anymore..

Archived