Sheridan out

5 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I'm not Shez out... But who would be your pick to replace him should he leave...

I know Sinnot mentioned Artel

I'd have loved Pete Wild back before he went to Barrow but obviously that's not realistic now.

I'll keep mentioning David Artell until he gets another job...

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be putting him in charge of recruitment if he sees Stobbs as some kind of answer, each game this season we've gone backwards, been dominated all over the park and this is Shez team, not sure he has it in him to turn it around, now we could get all sentimental and not give a shit about the results and be happy with 17th in the NL but I honestly expected more, bubbles burst for me already and as fickle as that seems I wouldn't be bothered at all if he went. 

We all remember the Shez from his first couple of stints, unfortunately he had a better quality of player to work with when we was in league one..

His tactics now are the reason why Wigan and Swindon fans dislike him, it’s dark age football and the hoof to the forward was almost on par from what we used to slate Ronnie Moores team for..

That was shocking tonight, long balls up to Porter in the first half who won one header from about 20 duals and he cant close down because his legs have well and truely gone..Stobbs wouldnt get a game for my pub side, what shez see’s in him only he knows..We lack pace all over the pitch and we have absolutely no quality out wide..

From this current team who played tonight i’d only keep Hogan, Sheron, Gardner, cooper and Tollit..

Shez needs to get a few good loans or else he could find himself surplus sooner than he thinks..

1 hour ago, mickjagger said:

Just seen Sheridan's after match comments he says we were slow & lethargic that is worry when he cannot motivate the players three games in to the season with another bumper crowd.

How can a new set of lads in a new season with all that has gone on be so slow an lethargic as shez has put it!! Fuck me shez you have signed these players, which was so obvious after the pre season games we are missing players who can perform better in non league against part timers!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

whole thread and concept is pathetic. tis a direct result of social media making idiot no mark people believe their weasel thoughts are relevant and/or actual mean something.

not even worth debate on a board literally invented such debate.

Of course it's worth debate, we've just been comprehensively outplayed at home by the two part time teams in the National League who looked fitter and hungrier than us, we've not even played a decent team yet.

I'm pretty sure the Rothwells don't even read this message board but when you've got half the family laughing as Stobbs is announced as man of the match it tells you where we are at, after two very worrying home performances fans are bound to ask the question and rightly so.

A few rambling thoughts on the Shez out debate... I think it's a bit unfair to lump in the end of last season when looking at Shez's stats. There can't have been a more difficult working environment - fighting a relegation with an absentee owner, a meddling and unliked sporting director and the senior club official advisor sticking his fucking beak in and releasing anti-fan statements left, right and centre. And also with some of the best players in the team having signed contracts for other clubs.

One of the things we were warned about dropping into this league was that we'll get beat by the part timers then go on to have better results/performances against the bigger clubs. So far that's turned out to be true. I was at Torquay and thought we played pretty well, then these last 2 games we've struggled.  As he explained, he stuck with the 12 players that got 4 points from the first 2 games. And he also explained he needs some more players in to provide better quality and competition.

I'm not saying he can't be criticised or that he's not made mistakes (cough, Stobbs, cough, 3 at the back) but we're only 3 games in. Did anyone really think the squad before the first game was a promotion winning one? 

Shez was on his way to retirement before he came back to try and help. If we get new players in and are still struggling like these last 2 games in a few weeks time I think he'll hold his hands up and work with the ownership toward him leaving and a new man coming in.

10 hours ago, doctor evil said:

But what are we transitioning to. What's a respectable result for Sheridan this season. Top half?. If we don't make that, then do we let him go?. I think we all accepted that the last regime tied the hands of all the managers making any form of success highly unlikely. But that's not the case anymore. Why would bringing someone in who has a better CV for the gig not bring about change. I know there's no guarantee of success but that shouldn't stop you from trying.....

The problems of the Lemsagam era haven't suddenly vanished into thin air we are currently picking up the wreckage of that regime. I'd take a top ten finish yeah. As far as I'm concerned if we get to a place where we get to the end of this season shitstorm free with a squad that improves over the course of the season and we get to a place where we just need to tweak it to challenge for promotion next season I will take that.

This season reminds me of the Ronnie Moore season the expectation at the start was to challenge for promotion and that was the aim but we weren't quite ready. That at the time was a transitional season from one of fighting relegation to one fighting for promotion I think this is the same.

If we get a new manager now one of the first things they will say is what they all say and that's to give me time.

The one thing that struck me on Saturday about Dorking was not that they were particularly good (they will survive at this level I think) but the fact is their team appeared to have a game plan. Their manager owner has been in situ since 1999 I don't think that's coincidence. If we want success we are going to have to give these people currently running the club and the team time. That's how success at anything is built.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Shez was on his way to retirement before he came back to try and help. If we get new players in and are still struggling like these last 2 games in a few weeks time I think he'll hold his hands up and work with the ownership toward him leaving and a new man coming in.

For no wages as well 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

A few rambling thoughts on the Shez out debate... I think it's a bit unfair to lump in the end of last season when looking at Shez's stats. There can't have been a more difficult working environment - fighting a relegation with an absentee owner, a meddling and unliked sporting director and the senior club official advisor sticking his fucking beak in and releasing anti-fan statements left, right and centre. And also with some of the best players in the team having signed contracts for other clubs.

One of the things we were warned about dropping into this league was that we'll get beat by the part timers then go on to have better results/performances against the bigger clubs. So far that's turned out to be true. I was at Torquay and thought we played pretty well, then these last 2 games we've struggled.  As he explained, he stuck with the 12 players that got 4 points from the first 2 games. And he also explained he needs some more players in to provide better quality and competition.

I'm not saying he can't be criticised or that he's not made mistakes (cough, Stobbs, cough, 3 at the back) but we're only 3 games in. Did anyone really think the squad before the first game was a promotion winning one? 

What's the point in letting him bring another handful of players in only to depart himself in a month or twos time?

New era, let's get a young progressive coach bedded in now who wants to play the right way and start putting some identity back into the football team.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What's the point in letting him bring another handful of players in only to depart himself in a month or twos time?

New era, let's get a young progressive coach bedded in now who wants to play the right way and start putting some identity back into the football team.

I'm assuming that we're looking at bringing in 2 or 3 loans rather than a raft of permanent signings. We're much more flexible in terms of transfers in this league so if it doesn't work out and the squad needs tweaking with a new manager then it's not a massive disruption.

On your other point, I don't disagree with the idea of having a young progressive coach who can be given time to build a squad and an identity. The question would be when is the right time for that? Personally I don't think it's a great look to do that 3 games into the season. Any manager deserves to be given a fair crack at it, whether dinosaur or progressive.

I think the problem is that Frank has come in and we’ve seen a surge of positivity and unbelievable home crowds but the squad is still as poor as it was prior to his arrival. We were a few players short before and we’re a few players short now.

Shez isn’t helping himself with some of his decisions but ultimately we don’t have a top 7 squad in my opinion. 

Reinforcements are needed ASAP (CB, CM, RM, CF) and if things don’t improve, I’d hope Shez would hold his hands up.

Ultimately I’m not convinced he’s the man for the job and the last two performances are extremely worrying. However the man’s a complete legend and deserves to be given a fair crack and judged with a competitive squad.

36 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

whole thread and concept is pathetic. tis a direct result of social media making idiot no mark people believe their weasel thoughts are relevant and/or actual mean something.

not even worth debate on a board literally invented such debate.

Darren this is a stupid post and I can’t tell if you’re on your usual windup or not.

If we were all sat in the pub we’d be saying the same thing.

46 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'm assuming that we're looking at bringing in 2 or 3 loans rather than a raft of permanent signings. We're much more flexible in terms of transfers in this league so if it doesn't work out and the squad needs tweaking with a new manager then it's not a massive disruption.

On your other point, I don't disagree with the idea of having a young progressive coach who can be given time to build a squad and an identity. The question would be when is the right time for that? Personally I don't think it's a great look to do that 3 games into the season. Any manager deserves to be given a fair crack at it, whether dinosaur or progressive.

For me the circumstances with new ownership etc actually make it easier to make the change now, the Rothwells are, or should, going to have a significant honeymoon period, personally I'd be using that leeway to make what will likely be an unpopular decision but the right one.

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Darren this is a stupid post and I can’t tell if you’re on your usual windup or not.

If we were all sat in the pub we’d be saying the same thing.

Monty is called Darren 😮

I hope nobody ever blows my cover. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

yeah but if u read the notts county boards and wrexhams they will all say they came down tried to play passing football and it doesn’t work as the quality of player isn’t there. U need to be big and quite direct to be successful 

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

For me the circumstances with new ownership etc actually make it easier to make the change now, the Rothwells are, or should, going to have a significant honeymoon period, personally I'd be using that leeway to make what will likely be an unpopular decision but the right one.

Maybe so. It’s a tricky call as ultimately we don’t have a promotion squad in my view. 

No Identity or game plan have been mentioned a couple of times which is spot on.

I wouldn't be so worried if we were losing or getting outplayed if I felt we had a playing identity....but in the 2 games I have seen, we haven't and our part time opponents have had a clear structure and a plan.

This is surely down to the manager and coaching staff.

Ours seems to be lump it forward or ask Dan Gardner to turn and run at the oppo.

Has he brought in players to play a certain way because if he has I'd love to know what that style of play is?

Early days yes, but until we have one then things won't improve I'm afraid, and however much I love Sheza I think he's past his sell by date in the modern game.

Love him to prove me wrong though....

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Maybe so. It’s a tricky call as ultimately we don’t have a promotion squad in my view. 

You've got to remember although not an ideal prep this is Shez' team, he made every decision with regards to who we retained and has been given full autonomy with regards to every player we've brought in, on that basis I think we need to bring someone in whose a better judge of a player as the 5 year old lad sat behind me last night could see the obvious failings of Clarke and Stobbs. 

He's been back 8 months and we've won 6 games out of 24 it's not like he's just pitched up, more worryingly for me though is this attraction he has for ageing players whose legs have gone, he's totally cut off the pathway to the first team for the youths which is obvious with his treatment of Harry Vaughan who can't even make the bench despite being one of our best footballers, Luamba gets a few minutes back end but he'll probably shuffled down the pecking order in favour of some 40 year old cart horse with dodgy knees. 

7 minutes ago, philwhite said:

Hope the Athleticos don’t read this thread 🙄

Sang in Lord Johns praise last night, brilliant atmosphere again for a not very good performance 

They are incredible - I hope that the performance on the pitch does not kill their enthusiasm - a fantastic sight to see them in full voice 😃

Archived