Sheridan out

42 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This is the point Joe, it’s not the result/s per se. It’s the complete lack of any basic performance from to many of them - how is that possible on the 2nd and 3rd game of season?? 

We have a lot of players from last season and the new signings have been here for weeks- which is plenty of time for Shez to get his ideas across- so to me they either can’t be arsed (which is a worry) or they don’t believe in his methods and have stopped listening. (Which is a worry) 

It’s deeper than - we need time to gel. The players look like they don’t know the system, tactics or patterns of play, we have zero team shape. Teams are walking through us, with little no pressure or urgency. It’s like watching a kick about with your mates.

It’s very strange, even for NL level. 

I mean I haven't got a strong argument against any points you've made there.

But while last night was really bad, Saturday wasn't great and Torquay was alright, I think he more than most deserves a bit of faith that he can change it around.  He's come in twice and saved us from relegation in League One, he offered his services for free last season (even though it meant working for those vile people) and our new Chairman has asked for us to back him even when the chips are down.  It seems a bit unreasonable to demand he's sacked three games into a season and less than a month into a new ownership..

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current squad - Do you think it is strong enough to challenge at the top of the table? 

Obviously there was no interest in the previous regime in bringing any players in over the off season as they probably knew they were selling up, which is probably why we have what we have.  

We need better players but have missed the boat in terms of signing them over the summer. I am shocked we haven't had a loan announcement. 

I don't think changing the manager every two weeks helped over the last four seasons so I think Sheridan until Christmas and if it isn't looking good we speak to Pete Wild who will be tired of that drive to Barrow by then. 

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sheridan won't go but I think we've had the first pissboil of the season for those who predicted it would come after the Wealdstone game.

It's the curse of the self-fulfilling prophecy again.

Just listened to the Wealdstone assistant manager’s interview on YouTube.

He’s only 32 but is switched on, knows what he wants and when you compare it to any Shez interview you really do realise how we need to move with the times and not stay stuck in the past

3 minutes ago, Wardie said:

...and in a weird kind of similarity, the fans of mighty Wrexham...

Fan Banter

Read the tweets at the bottom.

This is going to be the Theme of the season. A long season but you're going to lose some even if on paper you're the bigger club. I wouldn't be too alarmed just yet. It is going to be a tough season. 

We have Frank Crowds with a Lemsagan squad. The expectations vs reality won't match until we get some new players in. 

10 hours ago, Roger Ritchie said:

The current squad - Do you think it is strong enough to challenge at the top of the table? 

Obviously there was no interest in the previous regime in bringing any players in over the off season as they probably knew they were selling up, which is probably why we have what we have.  

We need better players but have missed the boat in terms of signing them over the summer. I am shocked we haven't had a loan announcement. 

I don't think changing the manager every two weeks helped over the last four seasons so I think Sheridan until Christmas and if it isn't looking good we speak to Pete Wild who will be tired of that drive to Barrow by then. 

Is the current squad good enough to challenge at the top of the table?

No ofcourse not, it was a squad assembled using the budget of the previous owners.

Will this squad look the same in a couple of weeks time? probably not highly likely players will be brought in, will it look different again by the end of January? Yes again it will change the squad will evolve over the course of the season.

From what I've seen over 180 minutes of football so far is a team that has some flaws, but their is something to work with. Certainly if we sign the right players, plus abit more work on transitioning play between the thirds or more simply put how we pass the ball. Plus more work on pressing when we don't have the ball.

What I saw second half yesterday was actually quite good. If we played like that over the 90 minutes we would probably have won the game. An extra couple of players will help us to reach that kind of level.

Things will get better we will see plenty of dissapointments along the way but long term I think the club will go in the right direction.

8 hours ago, Wardie said:

Watching the Wealdstone goals on Twatter, the way their places passed it around in the Latics goal area while our team backed off and ran around like headless chickens...was both shocking and embarrassing. Will Sheridan turn it around? I hope so but I am not confident. Something appears to be amiss.

I hope the owner is not interfering. 

Frank with the help of the Royles has had the club for about 3 weeks 

What he has bought still hasnt officially been confirmed as yet and we have fans calling for change after 3 games 

Am confident we will bring in a few better players shortly to give Shez a fighting chance 

Absolutely bonkers some of our fans 

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

What I saw second half yesterday was actually quite good. If we played like that over the 90 minutes we would probably have won the game. An extra couple of players will help us to reach that kind of level.

You do realise Wealdstone sat in for the majority of the second half and didn't really have a go at us because they were happy that their shithousery would help them protect their two goal lead, they could of scored at will Tuesday night and had obviously done their homework on us and picked up where Dorking had left off. 

We conceded four goals to part time footballers in a 25 minute spell across our first two home games of the season and didn't really have a clue how to stop it, let's be honest Wealdstone could/should of had three or four in the first half and we couldn't of complained.

10 hours ago, Roger Ritchie said:

I can't see Pete Wild coming here so soon after joining Barrow and I think I've heard (can't remember source) that they train in Salford saving on the drive to Barrow other than home games.

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You do realise Wealdstone sat in for the majority of the second half and didn't really have a go at us because they were happy that their shithousery would help them protect their two goal lead, they could of scored at will Tuesday night and had obviously done their homework on us and picked up where Dorking had left off. 

We conceded four goals to part time footballers in a 25 minute spell across our first two home games of the season and didn't really have a clue how to stop it, let's be honest Wealdstone could/should of had three or four in the first half and we couldn't of complained.

You've cut out a good chunk of my post where I have said we aren't good enough to trouble the top of the table but a few tweaks will make a difference.

What I saw second half was something to work with we could easily have come out of that with a draw, plenty of room for improvement obviously as Ive said. We played too many long balls upto Fondop in the second half.

I also said 3-4 signings will make a big difference. The second half performance was better the first half was abysmal is that a fair assessment? Would you not agree that an extra few players could make the difference here.

23 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You've cut out a good chunk of my post where I have said we aren't good enough to trouble the top of the table but a few tweaks will make a difference.

What I saw second half was something to work with we could easily have come out of that with a draw, plenty of room for improvement obviously as Ive said. We played too many long balls upto Fondop in the second half.

I also said 3-4 signings will make a big difference. The second half performance was better the first half was abysmal is that a fair assessment? Would you not agree that an extra few players could make the difference here.

Having had a day or two to digest the match I'm honestly not sure it's the players that are the problem.

I'm not confident that if we bring in four players that issues will go away. We have a manager who is unable to adapt, is that stubborn he is playing a player week in week out that 99.9% of our fanbase can see isn't up to the job, that is on the back of the same fans saying the same last season yet the bloke was offered a contract, he literally is a liability and I'll go as far to say if it continues he'll lose Sheridan his job he's that bad a player.

It also looks to me that we know fuck all about the opposition, how are we preparing? Are we having teams watched? Do we even know who the danger men are? We look like a team from a pub league at times kidding ourselves that because we are Oldham Athletic and pulling in 8k fans we just have to turn up, well I think we know now we need players who will work even harder because every team bar two or three are going to raise their game for the occasion.

Finally after three games we have a team with no identity or even system, Shez is making the cardinal error of trying to find a system to play around the players we've got rather than the other way round, successful teams are normally built on a foundation of everyone knowing how they play and the players fitting in to that system, if one player is out another one steps in and knows what job to do.

I get it we are three or four short but that won't somehow make us tactically superior or make us work any harder which is where we are being done, why is confidence so low? Players looked shot despite it being only the third game of the season, I'd love nothing more than Shez to have us up there challenging but from what I've seen in pre season and in the league so far I'm having serious reservations. 

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Having had a day or two to digest the match I'm honestly not sure it's the players that are the problem.

I'm not confident that if we bring in four players that issues will go away. We have a manager who is unable to adapt, is that stubborn he is playing a player week in week out that 99.9% of our fanbase can see isn't up to the job, that is on the back of the same fans saying the same last season yet the bloke was offered a contract, he literally is a liability and I'll go as far to say if it continues he'll lose Sheridan his job he's that bad a player.

It also looks to me that we know fuck all about the opposition, how are we preparing? Are we having teams watched? Do we even know who the danger men are? We look like a team from a pub league at times kidding ourselves that because we are Oldham Athletic and pulling in 8k fans we just have to turn up, well I think we know now we need players who will work even harder because every team bar two or three are going to raise their game for the occasion.

Finally after three games we have a team with no identity or even system, Shez is making the cardinal error of trying to find a system to play around the players we've got rather than the other way round, successful teams are normally built on a foundation of everyone knowing how they play and the players fitting in to that system, if one player is out another one steps in and knows what job to do.

I get it we are three or four short but that won't somehow make us tactically superior or make us work any harder which is where we are being done, why is confidence so low? Players looked shot despite it being only the third game of the season, I'd love nothing more than Shez to have us up there challenging but from what I've seen in pre season and in the league so far I'm having serious reservations. 

Good post yarddog

You may well be right regarding JS but I do think he needs to be given a chance with at least 3-4 new signings 

20 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

Pete Wild is going great-guns with Barrow in L2 and his stock will be rising. No way would he drop back to National League level unless he really had to.

Plenty of Pete Wild's out there. Young hungry fully qualified and modern thinking coaches. 

We currently have a dinosaur who spends more time swearing than coaching during a game.

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

I hope the owner is not interfering. 

That'd be a turn up! :D

I don't believe Sheridan will take the club forward in the long-term. He initially offered his services for free, which is commendable and we all know of his love for the club. Did he not say it was only until the end of the season? I honestly didn't expect him to still be manager this season and I am not confident in his ability to be more flexible/tactical and succeed in the modern game.

I certainly don't like the managerial merry-go-round and I don't like fans calling for the manager's head. In the same breath, I wouldn't like the situation to become poisonous regarding Sheridan and if Latics lose at Southend, I think the 'Manager out' ball will begin to grow in momentum.

Does anybody consider that Rothwell and Royle will already have a few candidates in mind, should the whole thing begin to go tits up?

It might also be worth remembering that despite all the fanfare around the Rothwell' coming in they managed to put together some board to hopefully underpin the club going forward, I take that to mean that they want the best available for the club, on that basis the man leading the troops needs to be of the same ilk, hopefully that is Shez and we get a reaction but I don't think they will be afraid to make the change if necessary, it would be great for Shez to lead the revival I'd want nothing more but something needs to change.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It might also be worth remembering that despite all the fanfare around the Rothwell' coming in they managed to put together some board to hopefully underpin the club going forward, I take that to mean that they want the best available for the club, on that basis the man leading the troops needs to be of the same ilk, hopefully that is Shez and we get a reaction but I don't think they will be afraid to make the change if necessary, it would be great for Shez to lead the revival I'd want nothing more but something needs to change.

At which point, results-wise,  do you think they will bring Sheridan in and ask the questions, if they haven't already?

It could be possible if things don't change Shez will leave of his own accord as he may feel retirement is what's best for himself and his family.

I want him to succeed not be sacked and hopefully 3 or 4 better players can turn things around.

Archived