Latics Youth updates

If anyone has listened to Dean Holden episode of I had Trials Once, he mentions the need for Oldham to get promoted back to the football league this season otherwise the academy is downgraded in some way (his lad is in the academy). 

31 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

If anyone has listened to Dean Holden episode of I had Trials Once, he mentions the need for Oldham to get promoted back to the football league this season otherwise the academy is downgraded in some way (his lad is in the academy). 

some funding from the EFL stops but l'm expecting the difference to be made up by the mortgage as part of our new direction and plan

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Well worth going to BP today and watching as I fully expect some will be offered full time contracts. 

https://www.facebook.com/100064559204966/posts/pfbid0z63xaznbsBXHq86fdhxxpsX2Fz8ACAMEPezPdqxnB9PQjtJQsAtsXw1DEbBp2Zabl/?app=fbl

3-0 to Latics, some great passing football played.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

3-0 to Latics, some great passing football played.

Yes they play a lot differently to the 1st team. No team sheet so hadn’t a clue who was who but for me, 3,4,6,& 9 were the standouts. I believe the No.4 is currently being chased by Accrington.

Was Atherton No.7 BP?

Edited by oafc1955

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Well worth going to BP today and watching as I fully expect some will be offered full time contracts. 

https://www.facebook.com/100064559204966/posts/pfbid0z63xaznbsBXHq86fdhxxpsX2Fz8ACAMEPezPdqxnB9PQjtJQsAtsXw1DEbBp2Zabl/?app=fbl

only jus seen this. that honest was my number that l DM'd you last year. don't be a stranger..

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

only jus seen this. that honest was my number that l DM'd you last year. don't be a stranger..

Ah, could have met up today, they were selling pies and you could have honored the pledge to buy me one.😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

can tell the togetherness of a team by how they celebrate vital goals together and that looked good.

what is the score with the Academy now it isnt funded?

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

can tell the togetherness of a team by how they celebrate vital goals together and that looked good.

what is the score with the Academy now it isnt funded?

They will probably go into a youth league with clubs like Irlam, Wythenshawe, Curzon Ashton and Avro, although I'm hoping the club will also apply to join the Central League North West which is mix of youth and experience.

I mentioned this to the club In the past when we had a B team but it fell on deaf ears.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

They will probably go into a youth league with clubs like Irlam, Wythenshawe, Curzon Ashton and Avro, although I'm hoping the club will also apply to join the Central League North West which is mix of youth and experience.

I mentioned this to the club In the past when we had a B team but it fell on deaf ears.

Mention it again

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Mention it again

Have done recently, but not heard anything back

Meanwhile number 7 Alfie Atherton shows a few skills again today and the 2nd goal from a lad I've not seen before was a cracker.

We must keep these lads and the coach Chuks together to develop toward the first team. The class of 2024.

https://x.com/OAFCAcademy/status/1785627469367636210

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Have done recently, but not heard anything back

Meanwhile number 7 Alfie Atherton shows a few skills again today and the 2nd goal from a lad I've not seen before was a cracker.

We must keep these lads and the coach Chuks together to develop toward the first team. The class of 2024.

https://x.com/OAFCAcademy/status/1785627469367636210

Agreed. bit worried our fans will BOOOO them if they miscontroll the ball so need to get them out on loan first.

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Thanks for this, BP. Some excellent finishing there. When they say it's nice to end the season with a win, it's more than the first XI have managed since God knows when!! I'm pretty sure we haven't won the last match of the season for at least the last TEN seasons, does anyone know when the last time was?

5 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Thanks for this, BP. Some excellent finishing there. When they say it's nice to end the season with a win, it's more than the first XI have managed since God knows when!! I'm pretty sure we haven't won the last match of the season for at least the last TEN seasons, does anyone know when the last time was?

11/12 Carlisle home, won 2-1, under Dickov

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, diggleblue said:

How many of the youths have we given contracts to?

Foreshaw?Atherton? 

Not sure how it works at this level but surely we should be tying some of these lads up.

The club said they would announce youth info soon. 

Forshaw was already under contact and will be released. 

could somebody please sum up for me in a none hysterical what, if anything, is happening with the youth, the academy set up n that?

l have been a bit pre occupied tryna move to a war zone 🙄

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

could somebody please sum up for me in a none hysterical what, if anything, is happening with the youth, the academy set up n that?

l have been a bit pre occupied tryna move to a war zone 🙄

I understand it will continue, but with no EFL funding and won't be able to play in an EFL youth league, so likely to be playing against youth from lower non league clubs. 

Also I believe next season our youths can leave for other clubs if they wish.

If so I  think it's imperative we offer contracts now to the outstanding prospects we have.

I have suggested to the club we apply to join the open age Central League North West which contains mainlyleague clubs (although non league clubs have played in it)

to give a mix of youth and experience a better chance of competitive football, but not sure if this will happen.

Edited by BP1960
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I understand it will continue, but with no EFL funding and won't be able to play in an EFL youth league, so likely to be playing against youth from lower non league clubs. 

If so I  think it's imperative we offer contracts now to the outstanding prospects we have.

I have suggested to the club we apply to join the open age Central League North West which contains mainlyleague clubs (although non league clubs have played in it)

to give a mix of youth and experience a better chance of competitive football, but not sure if this will happen.

that's the best news we could hope for l suppose. another excellent reason to buy or renew Season Tickets or put money into the club in any way we possibly can 😎

thanks, Freind 👍🏻

On 5/8/2024 at 4:50 PM, BP1960 said:

Iirc other clubs can come in for our youngsters and we get no compensation .so either take the risk or have to give profesional  contracts to youngsters before they are ready which is another risk on the budget .

3 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

Iirc other clubs can come in for our youngsters and we get no compensation .so either take the risk or have to give profesional  contracts to youngsters before they are ready which is another risk on the budget .

Yep. And while it is clearly possible that we have a batch of outstanding youngsters at present it would be very much an exceptional circumstance in the context of the last couple of decades 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, peanuts2 said:

Can anyone help me on understanding the EFL's or FA's reasoning on this?

Why should non league clubs lose promising young players for nothing?

One thing that may help is all leagues be brought under ther EFL structure, for example the NL becomes EFL division 3 and NLN/S become EFL division 4 North and South - all the way down the chain.

Won't happen of course as too many vested interests with the bumbling FA the worst of all.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Does seem very unfair 

31 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

One thing that may help is all leagues be brought under ther EFL structure, for example the NL becomes EFL division 3 and NLN/S become EFL division 4 North and South - all the way down the chain.

Won't happen of course as too many vested interests with the bumbling FA the worst of all.

29 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Does seem very unfair 

Just another case of bullying !!  🤜👎