Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Based on?

He's the consummate professional, humble, a leader of men and generally very highly regarded within the game from top to bottom, he just wants to play football and probably has the same passion and desire he had at 18.

Add to that he's honourable as no doubt he's had the opportunity on several occasions to manage the team but has chosen to give his all to his playing career.

I've no doubt one day he'll give management a go, not many succeed but from the outside he seems to have plenty of attributes which would stand him in good stead.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He's the consummate professional, humble, a leader of men and generally very highly regarded within the game from top to bottom, he just wants to play football and probably has the same passion and desire he had at 18.

Add to that he's honourable as no doubt he's had the opportunity on several occasions to manage the team but has chosen to give his all to his playing career.

I've no doubt one day he'll give management a go, not many succeed but from the outside he seems to have plenty of attributes which would stand him in good stead.

l was at a match early recently and he got lapped in the warm up, the coach picked up the cones and walked off but Clarkey still did his last shuttle anyway on his own. love that. nobody would have cared or even noticed, but still he did it.

love honesty like that, he is just a class human being really.

47 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If you cant see his potential for being a future coach/manager then you must be walking around with your eyes shut!!

What badges has he got? What experience of coaching? He's a proper pro and been a good player. In no way does that mean he will have any success as a manager. It baffles me that people want him to take over. How many games does Peter Clarke get?

49 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Yes, he has done a great job of shoring up & organising our defence and motivating the team on the pitch since he arrived-hasn't he?

I think you’ll find Hogan has been far more culpable for errors and even at 40 I would prefer to keep Clarke!

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I think you’ll find Hogan has been far more culpable for errors and even at 40 I would prefer to keep Clarke!

Hogan is at fault for the vast majority. 
clarke alongside a younger defender i.e Okagbue/Sutton is the way to go.

Accept the loss on Hogan for all he’s supposed to be a good character

On 12/29/2022 at 2:05 PM, mcfluff1985 said:

What badges has he got? What experience of coaching? He's a proper pro and been a good player. In no way does that mean he will have any success as a manager. It baffles me that people want him to take over. How many games does Peter Clarke get?

Similar profile as a certain Jurgen Klopp, when he finished playing for Mainz05 and went onto successfully manage them in 2001. The rest is history.  Recently, Klopp has been asked to "go back to school" to renew his coaching badge and described it as "ridiculous". A favourite saying of his is along the lines of "the school of life teaches you far more than any coaching qualification". 

Clarkey has been there and done it under many managers; in my opinion he'd be a much better choice than DU - what have we to lose by giving it a try? I`d give him from after the Notts game until the end of the season to see what he can do.

15 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Similar profile as a certain Jurgen Klopp, when he finished playing for Mainz05 and went onto successfully manage them in 2001. The rest is history.  Recently, Klopp has been asked to "go back to school" to renew his coaching badge and described it as "ridiculous". A favourite saying of his is along the lines of "the school of life teaches you far more than any coaching qualification". 

Clarkey has been there and done it under many managers; in my opinion he'd be a much better choice than DU - what have we to lose by giving it a try? I`d give him from after the Notts game until the end of the season to see what he can do.

Who devised these coaching qualifications and what's their managerial record, anyone know?

17 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Has a player ever managed a club whilst being contracted to a different one?

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Has a player ever managed a club whilst being contracted to a different one?

No and thats why its a Twitter fuelled bollocks, similar to how some say

'Bring back Selim, he had a massively better return than Unsworth"

Unsworth is better by about 0.00006 percent 

25 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

He’s shown no inclination of wanting to get involved in coaching or managing, here or anywhere else. He turned down a new contract at Tranmere in the summer because it was a player coach role. You can’t just give him the manager’s job if he doesn’t want it

7 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

He’s shown no inclination of wanting to get involved in coaching or managing, here or anywhere else. He turned down a new contract at Tranmere in the summer because it was a player coach role. You can’t just give him the manager’s job if he doesn’t want it

This

Everyone saying give it Clarke

First - he is still contracted to Walsall

Second - he has shown no inclination to be a manager

Third - there is absolutey no evidence to suggest he would be decent at it in any event 

17 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

This

Everyone saying give it Clarke

First - he is still contracted to Walsall

Second - he has shown no inclination to be a manager

Third - there is absolutey no evidence to suggest he would be decent at it in any event 

Thought for minute there you were talking about Paul Scholes-plenty wanted him and that didn't turn out well did it?

Archived