Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember many years ago we had a player called Carl Valentine for some reason he spent time at Vancouver Whitecaps about 1978/9 I think.  He was there when Alan Ball was playing for them.  When he came back at the end of their season first match he was transformed, dare I say Grovesesque.   Beating players down to the bye line and crossing or cutting in along the line.  After about a month all that had gone, knocked out of him by the Oldham coaches.  Back to stop at the penalty area play square or back.

I think he went back to the Whitecaps.

5 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I remember many years ago we had a player called Carl Valentine for some reason he spent time at Vancouver Whitecaps about 1978/9 I think.  He was there when Alan Ball was playing for them.  When he came back at the end of their season first match he was transformed, dare I say Grovesesque.   Beating players down to the bye line and crossing or cutting in along the line.  After about a month all that had gone, knocked out of him by the Oldham coaches.  Back to stop at the penalty area play square or back.

iirc turned out for Canada a few times 

can remember Tommy Doc purring over him when he was manager at QPR had us queing up to get on the end of his crosses 

24 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Was that the second half. 🤣

Might have been the game he turned and lashed a superb shot from the halfway line into the top corner of the net. Unfortunately, it was his own teams.

2 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

Carl Valentine - loved him. From memory, came on as a sub against Northwich Vics when we played them at Maine Road in 3rd round of the FA Cup way back (end of 70s?). Demolished them single-handedly with his speed down the left wing. Gutted when he went to Canada. 

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Carl Valentine - loved him. From memory, came on as a sub against Northwich Vics when we played them at Maine Road in 3rd round of the FA Cup way back (end of 70s?). Demolished them single-handedly with his speed down the left wing. Gutted when he went to Canada. 

Was it 1977? Did we play Liverpool in the next round? What a bunch of bastards their fans were that day.

Loved Carl Valentine (from Gorton, I think).

13 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

Indeed. Vancouver signed him, and then loaned him back to us before he went over , and took out Canadian citizenship. He actually played for Canada in the three group matches they had in the 1986 World Cup Finals 

I know it was always going to happen, but ... Chesterfield local press spinning a story making out that Colclough only ever wanted to go to Chesterfield despite interest from other clubs in the division...

Which hints at him turning us down rather than us/frank pulling the plug...

3 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I know it was always going to happen, but ... Chesterfield local press spinning a story making out that Colclough only ever wanted to go to Chesterfield despite interest from other clubs in the division...

Has anyone ever believed the PR guff that is put out in players' names when they've signed?

13 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Probably more like Chesterfield “just felt right because they offered me the most money “

It feels like there's a lack of transfer activity but that might be a result of being conditioned to lots of comings and goings in recent months. Having said that, and despite the perceived size of the squad we're pretty thin on the ground in defence and midfield. Given we're playing two games a week, weather permitting, for the majority of the next two months we're going to be tested by injuries, suspensions, fatigue and loss of form.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Has anyone ever believed the PR guff that is put out in players' names when they've signed?

“This is a massive club…”

”When I heard that <insert club name> were in for me, I couldn’t wait to get the deal done”

etc etc

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Of course not, it's all scripted and was always going to happen. I'd expect us to have done the same if the situation was reversed.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Bit of a concern after listening to Ebbrell's comments after the game that we don't appear to be in the market for a midfield enforcer...

It's one of the worst post-match interviews I have listened to and that's saying something!

14 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Was it 1977? Did we play Liverpool in the next round? What a bunch of bastards their fans were that day.

Loved Carl Valentine (from Gorton, I think).

That's right - Feb 1977, 5th round, we lost 3-1. Jimmy Case scored one of his thunderbolts if I remember. My one and only visit to the Kop, I went in there out of curiosity. It was tough keeping my hands in my pockets when Shaw scored for us, but self-preservation kicked in and I still got suspicious looks 🤣

11 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

massive concern, if true..

The whole situation is a massive concern and his post match interview was a complete nonsense, just like current manager's grasp of what is required to rescue this season. 

Archived