Signing & Player Rumours

How many do you think we’ll sign and, realistically, who?

DU said 8-9 coming in, plans already in place & all “quality”.  Exciting but people’s definition of quality varies.

GK (1 addition?) - are we OK with just Norman & Hudson? I’d be happy and then focus on following…

Defence (3 additions) - need a quality CB to partner Yarney, Sutton or Hogan.  RB a must too & if budget remains, a LB in case Kitching gets injured.

Midfield (3/4 additions) - cant see Jonny Smith dropping down to NL but he’s definitely quality.  We need a quality DM, a creative CM & a LW (another RW too if budget allows).  Depends if we’re playing 4-4-2 or looking more to release 3 attacking up front but those two will give us options with Sheron, Shelton, Tollit & Rooney as backup.  Someone on the flank like a Colclough perhaps?!

Up front (2 additions) , Sambou has improved but we should be aiming for the likes of Willoughby or higher…. Proven at this level, knows where goal is and an excellent partner for Reid.  I’d keep Nuttall, Reid & Fondop, releasing or selling the rest.  Need another 2 quality and I’d promote Forshaw too.

Pointless on rumoured names but no doubt these coming months will be interesting and whether we emerge as title favourites.  

18 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

DU said 8-9 coming in, plans already in place & all “quality”.  Exciting but people’s definition of quality varies.

GK (1 addition?) - are we OK with just Norman & Hudson? I’d be happy and then focus on following…

Defence (3 additions) - need a quality CB to partner Yarney, Sutton or Hogan.  RB a must too & if budget remains, a LB in case Kitching gets injured.

Midfield (3/4 additions) - cant see Jonny Smith dropping down to NL but he’s definitely quality.  We need a quality DM, a creative CM & a LW (another RW too if budget allows).  Depends if we’re playing 4-4-2 or looking more to release 3 attacking up front but those two will give us options with Sheron, Shelton, Tollit & Rooney as backup.  Someone on the flank like a Colclough perhaps?!

Up front (2 additions) , Sambou has improved but we should be aiming for the likes of Willoughby or higher…. Proven at this level, knows where goal is and an excellent partner for Reid.  I’d keep Nuttall, Reid & Fondop, releasing or selling the rest.  Need another 2 quality and I’d promote Forshaw too.

Pointless on rumoured names but no doubt these coming months will be interesting and whether we emerge as title favourites.  

Is Willoughby proven at this level?

25 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

l think the 8-9 firstly includes Green n Bas and secondly was a motivating factor for the run in.

so 5-6 plus those two n maybe Chapman depending on how many we let go suchas Burgess, McGahey, Lootbagger..

its still going to be busyish but also stable its mega 😁

lve never been so in anticipation of pre season match announcements!! 

l just heard Alan say 'thats saaaadd' as l typed that

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

You've pretty much nailed it there for me.

I did note that Unsworth said "a couple" and then "a few" coming in after the recent Yeovil win. 

RB is a an absolute must for me as is some top drawer (for the division) creative quality somewhere in the midfield. I'd also still like to see an absolute boss of a centre half, I am less enamoured with Yarney than most which is not to say I don't think he's decent for this level.

I don’t think we’ll see any centre half's signed personally, especially true if McGahey is still under contract which has been mentioned. He isn’t a fans favourite, but Hogan has been excellent for the last 2 months and for me you aren’t getting better than Yarney and Hogan at this level, add in McGahey (if fit, big if) and Sutton as back up, and even Sheron in emergencies and i’d rather see the budget spent elsewhere. 

Edited by daniel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, daniel said:

I don’t think we’ll see any centre half's signed personally, especially true if McGahey is still under contract which has been mentioned. He isn’t a fans favourite, but Hogan has been excellent for the last 2 months and for me you aren’t getting better than Yarney and Hogan at this level, add in McGahey (if fit, big if) and Sutton as back up, and even Sheron in emergencies and i’d rather see the budget spent elsewhere. 

Agree we don't need to sign another centre half, concentrate in other areas

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

James Berry out of our price range now, its a shame as he's one of the best non league prospects I've seen in years.

Do you know his price range and what we could offer ? He can’t be that good if he stays at Macc. 

31 minutes ago, oafcforever said:

According to a usually reliable source close to the club, the level of players we are looking at is League One so guessing our wage bill is going to shoot up. Don't shoot the messenger just passing on what i heard. 

I think that the criteria will be that the players we are going for should be capable of stepping up and playing in Division One because It would certainly have to be a fair salary to persuade a player to want to drop down two divisions!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Do you know his price range and what we could offer ? He can’t be that good if he stays at Macc. 

Way out of our price range, he's a brilliant player no matter where he goes, championship is my guess.

4 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Why have you not mentioned him before?

I think I have a few hundred times from the day Frank took over, might have got him quite cheaply back then, but I'm afraid not now.

The powers that be here were informed and I know they were very impressed, but his value increased with every match until he's now beyond a fee we would find acceptable.

Edited by BP1960

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I think I have a few hundred times from the day Frank took over, might have got him quite cheaply back then, but I'm afraid not now.

The powers that be here were informed and I know they were very impressed, but his value increased with every match until he's now beyond a fee we would find acceptable.

My condolences on your loss.

Do we definitively know that the club didn't try to sign him?  He signed a big new contract (for the level) in mid-season so maybe that was prompted by interest from elsewhere?  I'm pleased if we don't conduct our business in public.

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Let's hope they pay more attention earlier

34 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They'll go for Willoughby, I'm convinced of it. Thought the mention of Dom Telford on the podcast was bizarre, as though there might be some truth in us going for him...

I thought he only got a mention because the guest was from Crawley and he plays for them