Signing & Player Rumours

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

My condolences on your loss.

Do we definitively know that the club didn't try to sign him?  He signed a big new contract (for the level) in mid-season so maybe that was prompted by interest from elsewhere?  I'm pleased if we don't conduct our business in public.

Thanks,

Correct, my only Information was that he was rated after being seen. I'm not privy to negotiations.

Went to the Curzon Fylde game tonight with Latics not playing, so got a chance to see Haughton in a competitive game.

Arrived a couple of mins late so missed his goal 

Definitely brings some quality on the ball, decent dribbler and looks for a pass

We would definitely have to completely change the way we play though if we signed him. His defensive work rate didn't look too high, and he had a bit of a free role to move between a classic 10 position, LM, and LW. We've been quite rigid under DU with everyone sticking to positions, so wouldn't really suit his game currently.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OLDHAMFAN2148 said:

Can't remember where I saw it or who said it but we get a Kitching at right back and we're laughing.

I think I mentioned it here:

On 4/24/2023 at 12:33 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Right wing back - A clone of Kitching would be perfect. 

Anyway, the comment earlier about us going for players from L1 does make sense. And it fits in with the clubs strategy so far.

Before DU joined, quite a few were clamouring for a successful non-league manager who "knows the division". Which wasn't a bad call in itself, but the club have made it crystal that the plan is L1 as soon as possible. Probably within 4-5 seasons. For this strategy to work, a scalable model has to be built which means analytically identifying targets and not taking too many gambles on players who are good for this level, but might struggle keeping up with the pace as we move up two divisions. For example, we get someone like John Askey in to manage us. Impressively has us up at the top and even promoted, but lack of experience (and player knowledge) in the higher divisions means we have to dismantle and restart. A costlier process in the long run.

So I'd not be surprised to see quite a few targets from L1 and L2 come in with the negotiating gambit centring on they're joining a club 'on the up' like Wrexham / Notts County. Theoretically better with players of that standard being on 2-3 year contracts than players in and around our league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think I mentioned it here:

Anyway, the comment earlier about us going for players from L1 does make sense. And it fits in with the clubs strategy so far.

Before DU joined, quite a few were clamouring for a successful non-league manager who "knows the division". Which wasn't a bad call in itself, but the club have made it crystal that the plan is L1 as soon as possible. Probably within 4-5 seasons. For this strategy to work, a scalable model has to be built which means analytically identifying targets and not taking too many gambles on players who are good for this level, but might struggle keeping up with the pace as we move up two divisions. For example, we get someone like John Askey in to manage us. Impressively has us up at the top and even promoted, but lack of experience (and player knowledge) in the higher divisions means we have to dismantle and restart. A costlier process in the long run.

So I'd not be surprised to see quite a few targets from L1 and L2 come in with the negotiating gambit centring on they're joining a club 'on the up' like Wrexham / Notts County. Theoretically better with players of that standard being on 2-3 year contracts than players in and around our league.

Unsworth knows as much about League 1 and 2 as he does the NL so I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make with regards to the clubs strategy. His appointment wasn't made on the back of any analytics it was an appointment made based on his friendship with our CEO and his family.

He was given an opportunity was backed and some would argue he is delivering but we just don't know if an Askey or a Williamson could deliver even better results with the same resources available.

I'm not fussed where the players for next season come from, what they do need to do though is improve what we have but more importantly fit in to a system we are going to play and be flexible around that, players like Tollitt have quality but they are not Unsworth players and will struggle to fit in to any team he puts out, Tollitt isn't good enough to be given a free reign and be carried and lacks the discipline you identify in an Unsworth player/team, they could come from Real Madrid or Curzon Ashton I'm not arsed so long as they play for the shirt and are better than what we have.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Unsworth knows as much about League 1 and 2 as he does the NL so I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make with regards to the clubs strategy. His appointment wasn't made on the back of any analytics it was an appointment made based on his friendship with our CEO and his family.

He was given an opportunity was backed and some would argue he is delivering but we just don't know if an Askey or a Williamson could deliver even better results with the same resources available.

I'm not fussed where the players for next season come from, what they do need to do though is improve what we have but more importantly fit in to a system we are going to play and be flexible around that, players like Tollitt have quality but they are not Unsworth players and will struggle to fit in to any team he puts out, Tollitt isn't good enough to be given a free reign and be carried and lacks the discipline you identify in an Unsworth player/team, they could come from Real Madrid or Curzon Ashton I'm not arsed so long as they play for the shirt and are better than what we have.

I can't disagree with needing improved players, but I do disagree with DU only being employed because it was simply 'jobs for the boys'. The CEO and Joe Royle were certainly central for choosing DU, but they're obviously looking at analytics in the way of a business model. And it's a model where they feel DU would be the best fit as the club grows with expected promotions, as opposed to a non-league manager who 'does things his way' and has never worked in a big club setup.

Essentially the club want back-to-back promotions via a wave of momentum and this is seemingly their way of trying to facilitate that. We're obviously going to observe exactly how successful this approach will be.

• Like 1

We have the nucleus of a solid squad for this level so the addition of 3 or 4 good L1/2 signings seems the obvious way to go.  Wrexham showed the way with the likes of Tozer, Hayden and Mullin. Contracts expiring, no transfer fees, sizeable wage offers and, as Mr Shankly says, buying in to the "club on the rise" scenario.

It seems likely we will have 12, 13, 14 players released or returning to parent clubs so freeing up, at a guess, around £12,000 a week. 

For what it is worth, I would love to see Tom Hamer back. Now one of the best RB in L1, can also play CB or LB and has the long throw mentioned by DU. 

Wouldn't say no either to Jonny Smith who can play either wing and scores goals.

As you can never have enough strikers, I would also take a look at Mancunian Sam Smith (Cambridge) who can play as a 9 or 10 or part of a front 3.

Just got to find a quality CM now and I have sorted next season's squad for DU. !!!🤣

• Like 2

We’ll have a chance of League 1 benchwarmers, hence the Jonny Smith suggestion. 

You’d expect him to end up in League 2 next season so if that’s the case why not us, especially if Notts County go up in the playoffs and players realise they can get well paid and play for a big club. 

I’ve mentioned Jack Nolan at Accrington a few times this season as someone we should go after as he has warmed the bench all season and is out of contract. 

A clever left footer who plays off the right.

Finally got a start against Pompey at Fratton Park midweek and had a blinder by all accounts which has probably alerted a few clubs higher up than us

3 hours ago, south east latic said:

I’d love to be wrong but I really can’t see us signing decent league one players. Surely the kind of wages required to convince a player to drop two levels are going to be above the wages we’ll be offering. 

Agreed it seens an unsubstantiated rumour really that we are going to get premium L1 players I don't tbink we necessarily need that. What we need are several players who are just better than what we already have in key positions who fit in at the football club.

• Like 1

Unsworth’s latest interview in The Oldham Times contains this:

“I feel this group of players that are going to be with us next year plus the addition of a few more... I’m excited.

“Our groundwork is done, our planning is done and we’ve got to get our recruitment right over the summer. It’s a big pre-season for us.”

😃

On 4/25/2023 at 10:39 PM, St92 said:

Went to the Curzon Fylde game tonight with Latics not playing, so got a chance to see Haughton in a competitive game.

We would definitely have to completely change the way we play though if we signed him. 

I'm in.......

Edited by HarryBosch
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2023 at 10:39 PM, St92 said:

Arrived a couple of mins late so missed his goal 

Definitely brings some quality on the ball, decent dribbler and looks for a pass

We would definitely have to completely change the way we play though if we signed him. His defensive work rate didn't look too high, and he had a bit of a free role to move between a classic 10 position, LM, and LW. We've been quite rigid under DU with everyone sticking to positions, so wouldn't really suit his game currently.

He's been scoring for fun,

Some league 1 or 2 club will no doubts already be thinking about prising him away

1 hour ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Big Dave says 5 incoming now this summer to strengthen the team. To get us up near to the 8 or 9 he said at he forum I assume he's signing Bas, Green and Chapman........

Green has certainly done enough in the last 3-4 months (however long he's been here) to earn a contract. Bas seems to be improving I'm ok with that forward quartet of Reid Nuttall Fondop and Sambou" Chapman I'm so so on but he's shown a few bright moments chipped in with a couple of goals plus he at an age to get better I wouldn't expect him to be a starter though so I'm ok with him being a squad player.

That leaves us 5 players if atleast 4 are definite starters obviously centre mid and Right back are 2 priorities then that should be enough for a genuine promotion assault. 

• Like 1