National League Thread

5 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I know! Oops 🤣 mind you, they were 0-5 down and pulled it back to 3-5 plus apparently missed a couple of sitters near the end as well so just one of those crazy games.

Yes, they made a good comeback to be fair! This league can certainly deliver on goals/entertainment, but I so want us to get out of it!

It's interesting to see the apparent gulf in class between the NL and the NLN and NLS at present. 

Last year's relegated teams (Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Torquay, Maidstone) currently sit 1st, 1st, 2nd and 4th in the NLN / NLS.

Last year's promoted teams (Ebbsfleet, Oxford, Kidderminster, Fylde) sit 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th in the NL. 

Slightly surprised me - I'd always sort of assumed that the bottom end of the NL and the top end of the NLN / NLS were much of a muchness. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

It's interesting to see the apparent gulf in class between the NL and the NLN and NLS at present. 

Last year's relegated teams (Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Torquay, Maidstone) currently sit 1st, 1st, 2nd and 4th in the NLN / NLS.

Last year's promoted teams (Ebbsfleet, Oxford, Kidderminster, Fylde) sit 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th in the NL. 

Slightly surprised me - I'd always sort of assumed that the bottom end of the NL and the top end of the NLN / NLS were much of a muchness. 

I went to a few NLS games last season and there really was a difference in quality I thought

On 12/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

they’re only a couple of points from the drop zone too. The delay in getting the takeover done could be disastrous.

think they may have de registered several long term injured players to free up space in the squad for new signings / youth players to step in come jan as they are limited to squad of 16 first teamers 

7 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Might have something to do with where the full time/part time level is these days. Presumably most teams below NL are part time so any full time teams dropping down would have an advantage. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, OneSizeFitz said:

Their keeper got injured during the game too - the one substitute wasn't a backup... 

What does everyone think is a fair solution for Southend at the moment?

Due to their off-field mismanagement (basically Ron Martin) the National League are probably following the letter of the law (the letter), but with the Christmas period coming up expecting a team to be able to complete it with a squad of 12 players is farcical, and worse it will surely put those players at a high risk of injury.

Surely non-contract terms or month-to-month deals should be allowed until they can fill their bench?  At this stage it won't significantly improve their team to give them an undue advantage, but will take pressure off players in their squad who are struggling physically.

49 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

What does everyone think is a fair solution for Southend at the moment?

Due to their off-field mismanagement (basically Ron Martin) the National League are probably following the letter of the law (the letter), but with the Christmas period coming up expecting a team to be able to complete it with a squad of 12 players is farcical, and worse it will surely put those players at a high risk of injury.

Surely non-contract terms or month-to-month deals should be allowed until they can fill their bench?  At this stage it won't significantly improve their team to give them an undue advantage, but will take pressure off players in their squad who are struggling physically.

As shit as the situation is and I hope they come out the other side, though I think it’s getting increasingly unlikely. The rules are the rules and the league shouldn’t be giving them a help in hand.

If we was down at the bottom, we would be fumming and it sets a precedent. 

Edited by LightDN123

36 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

As shit as the situation is and I hope they come out the other side, though I think it’s getting increasingly unlikely. The rules are the rules and the league shouldn’t be giving them a help in hand.

If we was down at the bottom, we would be fumming and it sets a precedent. 

I thought the takeover was close to completion? Sounds like Ron Martin is being a d1ck (what a surprise) but an announcement seems to have been imminent for weeks now.

10 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I thought the takeover was close to completion? Sounds like Ron Martin is being a d1ck (what a surprise) but an announcement seems to have been imminent for weeks now.

That’s what keep getting said but the deadline keeps getting pushed back. I’m not so close to it, but feels unlikely to me, especially as Ron Martin is a tool. 

Sounds like it's pretty close. The consortium taking over are already funding the club and were waiting for some planning permission in respect of ground around the club. It also looks like they can still sign free agents and loan players up to the max of 16 but are struggling to get players in. Hopefully they will be free of Martin and the shackles before too long.

6 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Hopefully they will be free of Martin and the shackles before too long.

Second that. 

Hopes were raised at the weekend when he sneaked into Roots Hall for the Bromley game. Justin Rees, who is leading the consortium was also there, however, it's gone quiet again. 

With Christmas only a few days away. It's hard to see any more progress until the new year. 

2 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Second that. 

Hopes were raised at the weekend when he sneaked into Roots Hall for the Bromley game. Justin Rees, who is leading the consortium was also there, however, it's gone quiet again. 

With Christmas only a few days away. It's hard to see any more progress until the new year. 

Fingers crossed for you guys.

How likely is it that you'll have reinforcements in for the Christmas period?

17 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Fingers crossed for you guys.

How likely is it that you'll have reinforcements in for the Christmas period?

Unlikely. 

Kevin Maher gave an interview in the local paper yesterday saying how difficult it is to get players over Christmas. That is despite having a couple of lower league veterans in John Still and Darren Currie scouting for us. With 3 games in 7 days, teams want to maintain their own squads without loaning out.

Under the embargo we're allowed 16 players. With midfielder Dan Mooney leaving, and loanee Daniel Kanu recalled back to Charlton we have 14. 3 injured with 1 coming in as cover we have 12.

Thanks to the owner we've had an embargo for 15 months, I get that, rules are there for a reason, but it's coming to a point where players safety and actual well-being are being compromised through no fault of their own. Still they're bloody legends one and all, and we beat Chesterfield with 13 players last month.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Unlikely. 

Kevin Maher gave an interview in the local paper yesterday saying how difficult it is to get players over Christmas. That is despite having a couple of lower league veterans in John Still and Darren Currie scouting for us. With 3 games in 7 days, teams want to maintain their own squads without loaning out.

Under the embargo we're allowed 16 players. With midfielder Dan Mooney leaving, and loanee Daniel Kanu recalled back to Charlton we have 14. 3 injured with 1 coming in as cover we have 12.

Thanks to the owner we've had an embargo for 15 months, I get that, rules are there for a reason, but it's coming to a point where players safety and actual well-being are being compromised through no fault of their own. Still they're bloody legends one and all, and we beat Chesterfield with 13 players last month.

You could have some of ours! 😛 
Seriously, it's a mess and hopefully sorted for the good of the club as soon as possible.
We do not need another club going to the wall.

• Like 1

Looks like Southend fans have had a Christmas present contracts for the sale have been exchanged, Maher and his backroom staff have signed new contracts, and the transfer embargo has been lifted.

Great news for them, I suppose they are probably too far behind to mount a promotion campaign this season but next season they will be a big hitter in the league.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Looks like Southend fans have had a Christmas present contracts for the sale have been exchanged, Maher and his backroom staff have signed new contracts, and the transfer embargo has been lifted.

Great news for them, I suppose they are probably too far behind to mount a promotion campaign this season but next season they will be a big hitter in the league.

I think they’ll win the league next year! And I wouldn’t count them out for the playoffs this season IF they can recruit quickly and well