National League Thread

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Fair enough but we will be sacrificing one of the traditional strikers, which will be anyone but Norwood. 

That's way I think Fondop will drop to the bench and be used as an impact player or Norwoods understudy. Mellon is effectively and rightly so building a team around Norwood.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Fair enough but we will be sacrificing one of the traditional strikers, which will be anyone but Norwood. 

Was that the idea with with bringing in Dallas? If he can play in a front 2 or a front 3 then it gives us flexibility to switch between 352 and 433 when it suits. Walker being the other one to come into the front 3.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 7:10 PM, L1onheartNew said:

Got a strange feeling that Norwood is about to go on a massive scoring run.

I have massive trust in my water.  It has started...

Edited by L1onheartNew

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He struggles to control a football ???

He's probably one of the only players who it sticks to, now I know you could describe him as unorthodox but his ability to control a ball is not one of his weaknesses. 

Where he does struggle is positionally, he can be a bit maverick almost headless chicken at times but when he's on it he's a terrific target man who puts his body on the line, you could also never question the mans passion or desire and he's a really important player in our squad.

The ball sticks to him as he holds players off with his physicality, but he does struggle when passed into his feet in my opinion. 

He’s a good option for us. 

Edited by LightDN123

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He's probably one of the only players who it sticks to, now I know you could describe him as unorthodox but his ability to control a ball is not one of his weaknesses. 

Where he does struggle is positionally, he can be a bit maverick almost headless chicken at times but when he's on it he's a terrific target man who puts his body on the line, you could also never question the mans passion or desire and he's a really important player in our squad.

This.

Hugely important.

I love him. The bell end.

Edited by L1onheartNew

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The ball sticks to him as he holds players off with his physicality, but he does struggle went passed into his feet in my opinion. 

He’s a good option for us. 

Would agree he's a good option ( off the bench ) but his positional sense is very poor for a professional striker, constantly having to be told where to be.

His lack of desire to be in and around the six yard box is a big drawback for a striker. Last night when Norwood headed a cross back across goal he was near the edge of the penalty area instead of on the penalty spot seeking a tap-in.

15 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Would agree he's a good option ( off the bench ) but his positional sense is very poor for a professional striker, constantly having to be told where to be.

His lack of desire to be in and around the six yard box is a big drawback for a striker. Last night when Norwood headed a cross back across goal he was near the edge of the penalty area instead of on the penalty spot seeking a tap-in.

He did though when he headed a cross from close range straight to the keeper.

25 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

o

hope he doesnt go back to barnsley 😂😂😂😂😂

I think he's starting to enjoy himself now and getting visibly less frustrated, particularly with his teammates.

I'm presuming Mellon and Brabin for that matter have a great relationship with him and there's mutual respect and trust there which is now beginning to bear fruit, hopefully the Barnsley rumours are just wishful thinking on their part as I see Norwood as integral to the team going forward.

It was also great hearing the Norwood chant building last night (does anyone know the words?) Very catchy I presume and I can see away ends at York and Halifax in the coming weeks bouncing to that.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't think his technique Is quite as good as you make out - when I watch him, he far too often lets the ball get away from him - he also does get caught offside more than most.

He is a very useful player to have come off the bench but I’m sure that MM wants better players to start up front. 

• Like 3

Just now, TheBigDog said:

I don't think his technique Is quite as good as you make out - when I watch him, he far too often lets the ball get away from him - he also does get caught offside more than most.

He is a very useful player to have come off the bench but I’m sure that MM wants better players to start up front. 

I agree and ability wise he probably falls in between where many of us think, I think Mellon is being won over by him though and rightly so based on performances, totally agree with your final paragraph as well but I still think he's worth his place in the 16.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree and ability wise he probably falls in between where many of us think, I think Mellon is being won over by him though and rightly so based on performances, totally agree with your final paragraph as well but I still think he's worth his place in the 16.

Be interesting to see what happens with Reid. 

31 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

I think Reid is as good as gone , doesnt do enough if he isnt scoring and he is only average at best at that.

I know Conlon isn’t captain but he won’t stand for that kind of bollocks if it happened again. 

49 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

I know Conlon isn’t captain but he won’t stand for that kind of bollocks if it happened again. 

He certainly has something about him, I'm trying not to get too giddy after one game but he definitely brought a presence to the midfield, more importantly though he dragged others along with him. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He certainly has something about him, I'm trying not to get too giddy after one game but he definitely brought a presence to the midfield, more importantly though he dragged others along with him. 

He’d be probably still be at Vale if the injuries hadn’t had happened. Held in high esteem as their captain, some players are just born leaders.

36 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

He’d be probably still be at Vale if the injuries hadn’t had happened. Held in high esteem as their captain, some players are just born leaders.

Did you see him going radio rental with fist pumps when Sheron made that block in the penalty area second half? 😂

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Did you see him going radio rental with fist pumps when Sheron made that block in the penalty area second half? 😂

Yep, we’ve not seen that for years.

24 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Also liked Hogan applauding the RRE at every opportunity.

Everything all at once...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, astottie said:

I loved Hogan doing that but I also thought that when he did it after the first goal ,there was a bit of , 'oh you're happy when we're winning,you fuckers'

Just saying 😁

TBF he'd be right, I'm elated when we are winning. 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 5:57 AM, BP1960 said:

Radio rentals were very popular at one time.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Yeah, when dinosaurs ruled the earth

"Hi honey I'm back from my trip. What's for dinner?"

"Stick."

"Awww stick again?"

"Well, what do yo expect? You have been gone for three months and no even a text message. The kids have to eat you know."

"I'm sorry honey. My pay has just gone in. I'll pop down to Terry Dee's and pick up something from their new Neanderthal range."

"OK. Oh, while you are out, can you call in at Radio Rentals and pick up a new TV? Ours shit itself two days after you left and the new season of Dinosty starts tonight"

That one??

Sorry, Australia day has been a long one.

• Like 1