National League Thread

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, went to matches scouting for ST and recommended many young players who have gone higher than the level they played, but was told 'experience' was the priority. No one  contacted me after Steve left so I've never bothered since, except for watching the youth team where my best recommendation is now well documented.

I'm 79yo next month so not chasing anyone at the club anymore. IMO agents rule the roost and old fashioned scouting for hidden gems has long gone.

I still have my EPL and EFL contacts though so I've passed on any info I have on to them.

Such bitterness that the new management team didn't know you existed and roll out the red carpet

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, I can understand the experience angle, but it did gall me when I knew a young player in the 8th tier was better than what we had on the books and will be playing in the football league next season. He was considered by DU, but not taken on.

I'm glad the lad from the youth team is now training with the first team at least.

Harrison McGhey (or whatever his name is) may be playing in the football league next season 

1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

Harrison McGhey (or whatever his name is) may be playing in the football league next season 

Oh and Joe nuttall plays in the football league too! And he is, let’s just say, utter tosh 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Give it a rest now huh? This one has been done to death.

@mcfluff1985 must the bitterest poster on here, I only see his messages when repeated. I actually feel sorry for him.

I tried to assist the club without payment in my own time.

I wonder what his positive contributions have been?

Bet he won't reply to that.

Edited by BP1960

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

@mcfluff1985 must the bitterest poster on here, I only see his messages when repeated. I actually feel sorry for him.

I tried to assist the club without payment in my own time.

I wonder what his positive contributions have been?

Bet he won't reply to that.

You sent a few emails. They weren't replied to. New management team came in, nobodybreached out to you. You spat your dummy out and constantly mention about then giving tips to other teams. Sounds bitter

41 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You sent a few emails. They weren't replied to. New management team came in, nobodybreached out to you. You spat your dummy out and constantly mention about then giving tips to other teams. Sounds bitter

Weird behaviour from you. The mods have even picked you up on it a few times. Leave the guy alone. 

He annoyed the club doesn’t respond to him on his recommendation. I’m annoyed the club play Nathan Sheron. Another poster is annoyed Norwood doesn’t celebrate. We all get pissed off and needlessly continue to voice our opinion, which others don’t agree with. But just leave the man alone at this point. He’s blocked you, you know that, so don’t respond. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's a very loose link to the National League, but the Wealdstone manager went to Notts County a month or so ago and it's turned into an absolute disaster for him...

It's not done Wealdstone any favours either. They're teetering a point above the drop zone.

Luke Williamson at Notts County had several offers before leaving for Swansea so Notts had a good run out of him.

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Such bitterness that the new management team didn't know you existed and roll out the red carpet

Just leave it.  I fell out with him for reasons I don't really understand but decide the better option was just not to engage.  It's not as if you are suddenly going to start agreeing on everything and it's adding nothing.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Rochdale set to be 'saved from liquidation' after entering into a period of exclusivity with a US Investor.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/29/rochdale-football-club-set-to-be-saved-from-liquidation-threat-by-us-investor

We really should appreciate how lucky we were to get a local man doing it for  the right reasons

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We really should appreciate how lucky we were to get a local man doing it for  the right reasons

Totally agree, the Rochdale fans I know would in an ideal world take a Frank. They are not stupid enough to realise that this isn't going to happen. I hope this turns out OK for them. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Weird behaviour from you. The mods have even picked you up on it a few times. Leave the guy alone. 

He annoyed the club doesn’t respond to him on his recommendation. I’m annoyed the club play Nathan Sheron. Another poster is annoyed Norwood doesn’t celebrate. We all get pissed off and needlessly continue to voice our opinion, which others don’t agree with. But just leave the man alone at this point. He’s blocked you, you know that, so don’t respond. 

Ja Mein Fuhrer

9 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ja Mein Fuhrer

You're digging a hole, @mcfluff1985. As others have said, just ignore @BP1960 if he's annoying you that much. He's fully entitled to give his views on Latics/football in general, he's blocked you, so I really don't see the point in continually having a go at him as you keep doing. Life's too short.

• Like 2

Stretching this thread title a little as it's National League South (and a Latics forum of course) but...

Truro City's nomadic existence reached a whole new level of farce today.  Starting the season playing in Plymouth (2h30 round trip from Truro) they agreed to groundshare with Taunton (near 5 hour round trip) out of fear of not completing their "home" fixtures due to so many postponements. 

Of course Taunton are struggling to complete their own home fixtures with their already boggy pitch and, since this agreement, Truro haven't managed to play a "home" game in Taunton.

So when Truro play at "home" to Taunton on Saturday, naturally the match is taking place at National League North side Gloucester City's ground.  A 400-mile, 7 hour round trip for a home game!  It would actually be 2 hours and 100 miles (round trip) closer for Latics to play a home game there.

Add that to Torquay's financial problems and it's fair to say that non-league football down here in the South West isn't looking in great shape at present.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Stretching this thread title a little as it's National League South (and a Latics forum of course) but...

Truro City's nomadic existence reached a whole new level of farce today.  Starting the season playing in Plymouth (2h30 round trip from Truro) they agreed to groundshare with Taunton (near 5 hour round trip) out of fear of not completing their "home" fixtures due to so many postponements. 

Of course Taunton are struggling to complete their own home fixtures with their already boggy pitch and, since this agreement, Truro haven't managed to play a "home" game in Taunton.

So when Truro play at "home" to Taunton on Saturday, naturally the match is taking place at National League North side Gloucester City's ground.  A 400-mile, 7 hour round trip for a home game!  It would actually be 2 hours and 100 miles (round trip) closer for Latics to play a home game there.

Add that to Torquay's financial problems and it's fair to say that non-league football down here in the South West isn't looking in great shape at present.

Was in Truro last weekend, I didn't know any of this, why are they not playing in Truro? 

6 hours ago, disjointed said:

Was in Truro last weekend, I didn't know any of this, why are they not playing in Truro? 

At time of writing Truro doesn't have a football ground in Truro that they can use, as Treyew Road got sold off to a supermarket a couple of years ago and there's been loads of false dawns with stadiums.  Although they are due to be moving back there for next season. 

In the meantime they groundshared with Torquay for about half a season, before groundsharing with Plymouth Parkway for a year and a half.  But this year's rush to get fixtures played due to constant postponements has led to where they are currently.  Gloucester has an artificial pitch which at least gives them a better chance of getting the game on.

58 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

At time of writing Truro doesn't have a football ground in Truro that they can use, as Treyew Road got sold off to a supermarket a couple of years ago and there's been loads of false dawns with stadiums.  Although they are due to be moving back there for next season. 

In the meantime they groundshared with Torquay for about half a season, before groundsharing with Plymouth Parkway for a year and a half.  But this year's rush to get fixtures played due to constant postponements has led to where they are currently.  Gloucester has an artificial pitch which at least gives them a better chance of getting the game on.

Surely a bit of forward planning would have seen a football ground being built first. 

22 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Rochdale set to be 'saved from liquidation' after entering into a period of exclusivity with a US Investor.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/29/rochdale-football-club-set-to-be-saved-from-liquidation-threat-by-us-investor

And now George Galloway's pledged to do his utmost to save the club. Might they be entering into a shirt sponsorship deal with the PLO?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

And now George Galloway's pledged to do his utmost to save the club. Might they be entering into a shirt sponsorship deal with the PLO?

Sky news quoted him as calling them "Rochford"**

I don't know whether that's a miss quote or he actually called them that**

10 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Amazing story, you couldn't make it up, could you. I know there has always been a big financial gap between the clubs at the top of the pyramid and those at the bottom, but when you read about things like this, regardless of blame, and then think about the budgets of PL clubs it really is a bit sad.

12 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Amazing story, you couldn't make it up, could you. I know there has always been a big financial gap between the clubs at the top of the pyramid and those at the bottom, but when you read about things like this, regardless of blame, and then think about the budgets of PL clubs it really is a bit sad.

Not sure it's just budgets, more just simple geography.