MATCH: vs Maidstone United (A) 19/11/22

23 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Sorry if I'm not bouncing off the walls with excitement at a 0-0 draw with Maidstone after one win in twelve. I'm such a pessimist.

Don't think anyone is bouncing.

Just saying it was loads better than recent weeks and we deserved to win.

Small step in the right direction 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

We were/are shit. Mid-table shit though. I just think he's massively over-egged the size of the task in hand. 

Opinions isn’t it. I happen to think we were just as shit tbh. I’m sure we all want the same thing, except @PeteGobvs. 
what is for certain is that Unsworth needs results and fast. Now that he’s seemingly got some better players, his excuses will wear thin with me sharpish. 
I reck Peck and the Cheltenham lad could make all the difference. We still need a goal scorer imo too tho. 

6 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Still calling out 3/4 of the squad by saying it's difficult after what he's "inherited" (a team that were mid-table 8 weeks ago).

5 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

How many games had been played ? The table at that point is quite irrelevant. We were clearly only heading in the same direction.  

Your logic has honestly lost me there, simplythemostimportantkick. Yesterday was the day that Unsworth had managed exactly the same number of league games, this season, as Sheridan - 9 each. Their records are :-

Won           Drawn             Lost                     Points

Unsworth           1                  3                    5                            6

Sheridan            3                  2                    4                           11

If those stats remained consistent and each managed over the full season then Sheridan would have finished on 56 points and Unsworth would finish on 31 points.

22 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Your logic has honestly lost me there, simplythemostimportantkick. Yesterday was the day that Unsworth had managed exactly the same number of league games, this season, as Sheridan - 9 each. Their records are :-

Unsworth           1                  3                    5                            6

Sheridan            3                  2                    4                           11

If those stats remained consistent and each managed over the full season then Sheridan would have finished on 56 points and Unsworth would finish on 31 points.

if

9 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l don't think there will, l think he will have us winning long before its 'his team'

You're probably right there. First half against Barnet was built on away at Maidstone, looks like we showed a bit of endeavour as well.

Pisses me off when these managers particularly new ones are scared to lose, guess what normally happens.... we lose. He's almost got a free hit because as much as some want him gone it's not going to happen, let the lads go out and play, Abraham doesn't need replacing he will score goals for us if he starts to pass it in to the goal instead of trying to take the net out, think the corners turned I did say we'll bottom out and might even drop a place or two due to inactivity but I expect us now to kick on anytime soon, midfield is key now and maybe a right back depending on whether Sheron adapts in there.

51 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You're probably right there. First half against Barnet was built on away at Maidstone, looks like we showed a bit of endeavour as well.

Pisses me off when these managers particularly new ones are scared to lose, guess what normally happens.... we lose. He's almost got a free hit because as much as some want him gone it's not going to happen, let the lads go out and play, Abraham doesn't need replacing he will score goals for us if he starts to pass it in to the goal instead of trying to take the net out, think the corners turned I did say we'll bottom out and might even drop a place or two due to inactivity but I expect us now to kick on anytime soon, midfield is key now and maybe a right back depending on whether Sheron adapts in there.

I think you are right but too many loanees who will return .We need a steady 11 who can gel and kick on together .

Hope our crowds improve with Manchester clubs not playing .

Interesting to note that the team on Saturday comprised:

Six contracted players who were at the club when the season started:

Norman, Sheron, Maynard, Hogan, Gardner & Hope

Four short term loanees:

Clarke, Peck, Chapman & Abraham 

One new signing:

Kitching

🤔

15 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Four short term loanees:

One new signing:

Kitching

🤔

So 45% Unsworth signings

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

lm fine with Abraham(s) missng for a bit as it increases our chances of actually signing him. some strikers just hit it like that always have always will, look at Jermain Jonson, was gutted when we binned him and oh shock he's an international player playing higher than us blasting the ball home 15 times a season.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Four short term loanees:

One new signing:

Kitching

🤔

3 of those contracted players were out injured for most of Unsworths games too.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

3 of those contracted players were out injured for most of Unsworths games too.

Only really Norman and Sheron have been ever presents which in itself probably explains why we've been unable to get going.

The six contracted players should be more than good enough for this level if we can keep them fit.

Big question for me is where does Tollitt fit in after Saturday, maybe accommodating him upsets the balance of the team, I know he chips in but he's a passenger the majority of the time and a luxury I don't think we need.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Only really Norman and Sheron have been ever presents which in itself probably explains why we've been unable to get going.

The six contracted players should be more than good enough for this level if we can keep them fit.

Big question for me is where does Tollitt fit in after Saturday, maybe accommodating him upsets the balance of the team, I know he chips in but he's a passenger the majority of the time and a luxury I don't think we need.

squad game olayed over 3/4 of a year init plenty of opportunities will arise for Tollit, l think hes stil top scorer too. thought Hope was quiet wknd but l havent watched it yet so maybe he played for the team, but that's an easy swap if needed.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

got to go with this 433 all the time now and impose ourselves on the oppo, whoever it is.

100% with you here or at least a variation of it, we don't have any real wing backs or wingers on the books so it suits us better for a start and the players will probably find it more comfortable, I'm not Maynards biggest fan but he can sit in front of a back four if needed, on the highlights he got himself much further up the pitch against Maidstone which is critical, Peck as the ability to play box to box as well, likes a tackle too and puts himself about for a young lad, midfield looks lots better already just with a couple of solid signings.

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

100% with you here or at least a variation of it, we don't have any real wing backs or wingers on the books so it suits us better for a start and the players will probably find it more comfortable, I'm not Maynards biggest fan but he can sit in front of a back four if needed, on the highlights he got himself much further up the pitch against Maidstone which is critical, Peck as the ability to play box to box as well, likes a tackle too and puts himself about for a young lad, midfield looks lots better already just with a couple of solid signings.

played well saturday Maynard. Peck is class can see it already might not get to keep him. chuck a small loan/admin fee at cheltenham get Chapman released and singed asap. need another CM.

18 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Can't compare.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived