MATCH: vs Maidstone United (A) 19/11/22

31 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Far, far better performance today. We looked organised, committed and should have scored several in the first half.

Their keeper pulled off a brilliant one hand stop to deny Abraham plus several other chances were hit straight at him.

No complaints about the players effort today, it was 100% from every one of them so when DU says he was pleased then for once I will agree with him!

The only thing that let us down today was our lack of end product but I guess if Timmy could finish then he would be Tammy 🤣

100% agree.

Miles better than the tripe of late.

Clearly some on here moaning were not at the game...🙄

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Did you go today? I ask because someone else who I know watched the game (post above yours) said they were enjoyable to watch today 🤔

i did. They were better, no doubt but it’s hard to be worse than they have last 4 isn’t it. I think standards of what we like to watch have dropped to all time lows after recent performances 

15 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

100% agree.

I didn’t go and it’s heartening to hear from the people who did and the positives. It’s just the lack a win yet again on the face of it etc. Plus no game for two weeks now? Which means no momentum from this 

15 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

100% agree.

Correct.

I don’t comment on most games as being in Kent I don’t see too many and therefore don’t feel qualified-though my son tells me it has been dire and Wrexham on the telly was embarrassingly bad!
However, although today was against very poor opposition we did look organised, at the back there was very little to bother about, Maynard had a solid game in the middle with Peck whose first half was particularly good, and Hope and the new guy from Cheltenham were busy. If Abraham’s shooting was as good as his approach play we’d have won that two or theee nil. Maidstone keeper won them a point!

For me this was the better performance many have been saying we need - obviously wins are now the next essential.

38 minutes ago, PeteG said:

People are saying progress? It's 1 win in 12 and we've gone from 14th when he took over to the bottom 4, i'm finding it hard to see the progress.

When you're not looking for it.....

I'm not Unsworths biggest fan but if anyones gonna slag him off when we are shit they have to equally give him some credit when we play well and are on the wrong end of the result. We were the better team today, dominated large parts of it, played with real intent and for the first time this season were unlucky, hopefully we can take it in to the Solihull game and build on it.

30 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I didn’t go and it’s heartening to hear from the people who did and the positives. It’s just the lack a win yet again on the face of it etc. Plus no game for two weeks now? Which means no momentum from this 

I share your sentiment on this however I said the other week that these 2 weeks could be hugely important for us interms of work we can do on the training ground and bringing the squad together. Alot of them are still getting to know each other we are still in the squad moulding stage. So a week without a game might be a blessing for us.

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

When you're not looking for it.....

I'm not Unsworths biggest fan but if anyones gonna slag him off when we are shit they have to equally give him some credit when we play well and are on the wrong end of the result. We were the better team today, dominated large parts of it, played with real intent and for the first time this season were unlucky, hopefully we can take it in to the Solihull game and build on it.

That's fair comment and I didn't go today so i'm just looking at the result on face value. The opposition are garbage and it's hardly progress to get a draw. Progress means we are in a better position than when he took over and I can't get away from the 1 win in 12 which is an absolute shambles. We've some tough games coming up and I fear we could be adrift going into the New Year. I don't take any pleasure in this, I'm a Latics fan the same as everyone else on here.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Played 3 up front were positive and created several good chances. 

That sounds like the sort of signs of improvement people were calling for. 

2 hours ago, Flemboy said:

My son said we were unlucky today and should have won and a much improved team performance .Still at last they showed some pride and passion which should turn into wins....hopefully!!

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Far, far better performance today. We looked organised, committed and should have scored several in the first half.

Their keeper pulled off a brilliant one hand stop to deny Abraham plus several other chances were hit straight at him.

No complaints about the players effort today, it was 100% from every one of them so when DU says he was pleased then for once I will agree with him!

The only thing that let us down today was our lack of end product but I guess if Timmy could finish then he would be Tammy 🤣

The above posts capture most of it for me - overall a very encouraging performance, albeit against a poor one dimensional team on a tricky surface.

We did leave Abraham isolated on occasions but the support from Peck & Chapman was good when we did push further forward. Tammy really should have scored but his overall work rate was excellent.

There was not much closing down as a team with Unsworth’s game plan seeming to be hit them on the break - and to be fair it worked well with everyone competing and working hard. 

Hogan and Clarke were imperious at the back and Maynard looks a different player as a defensive midfielder. 
Their keeper saved them in the end. 

It’s still plain to see that many players still lack confidence but the signs of improvement are there.

I left the game disappointed but encouraged.

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

The opposition are garbage and it's hardly progress to get a draw. Progress means we are in a better position than when he took over

Progress in this context is measured against the previous two or three performances - and the signs were definitely there today.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

👍

Go on then Unsworth bullshit bingo.

You know

Looked comfortable

Solid

Better team

Something to build on

Pies were decent

Two weeks off now 

Flying in training

Couto played well

Working night and day

We're building something 

A point on the road is a good result. All this positive is great, but we’re playing a shit team. We need two up front and go for it. Unsworth out for me!

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

People are saying progress? It's 1 win in 12 and we've gone from 14th when he took over to the bottom 4, i'm finding it hard to see the progress.

Sink into the swamp Barry, you are a like turd that won’t flush.

Christ, imagine the piss-boil on here if Latics had lost...which may have been the outcome several weeks back. I'm not exactly singing on the town hall steps but happy with the encouraging comments by those who actually witnessed the game.

36 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Christ, imagine the piss-boil on here if Latics had lost...which may have been the outcome several weeks back. I'm not exactly singing on the town hall steps but happy with the encouraging comments by those who actually witnessed the game.

Several weeks back? They'd lost the last four games in a row. A draw was the very least we should've expected today. Just because they played slightly better than they did in the last four doesn't make it acceptable. 

46 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Yeah we'd have definitely lost that game before Unsworth came in, despite having a much better record previously. Why are people talking this shite up?

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Yeah we'd have definitely lost that game before Unsworth came in, despite having a much better record previously. Why are people talking this shite up?

FFS! Did I even mention the previous manager? I am not "talking this shite up" I am trying...really, really fucking hard...to look for some green shoots of recovery. If you don't want to, then fair enough, but don't you ever fucking well talk-up John Sheridan to me.

Archived