Unsworth

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

If Unsy stays- I doubt he’ll get to 40 points.

If he goes- you’d hope someone can do just enough to keep us the division*

* I know you still expect to finish top 6 with 80 points. 

I’d like to think there’s a plan B being drawn up as we speak. Sheridan I think landed last Jan? and still couldn’t keep us up. I hope nobody is still thinking we couldn’t possibly go down again - we could and we will if something doesn’t change and fast 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, True Tic said:

I’d like to think there’s a plan B being drawn up as we speak. Sheridan I think landed last Jan? and still couldn’t keep us up. I hope nobody is still thinking we couldn’t possibly go down again - we could and we will if something doesn’t change and fast 

Unworthy has lost  the fans support,his arrogant  attitude  is appauling, his post match excuses are repetitive and he has wasted Frank's money and proven you can't buy your way out of this league. I've looked at what Everton fans thought of him and it's the same as ours.He has to go but his arrogant  attitude  and long contract mean its unlikely. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

If Unsy stays- I doubt he’ll get to 40 points.

If he goes- you’d hope someone can do just enough to keep us the division*

* I know you still expect to finish top 6 with 80 points. 

With the players he has it his disposal, he should get well above 40 points. I expect the 2nd half of the season to be much better than the first. Not sure how you know I still expect to finish top 6 with 80 points cos I've just checked and I have not said it...

6 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Unworthy has lost  the fans support,his arrogant  attitude  is appauling, his post match excuses are repetitive and he has wasted Frank's money and proven you can't buy your way out of this league. I've looked at what Everton fans thought of him and it's the same as ours.He has to go but his arrogant  attitude  and long contract mean its unlikely. 

Someone should tell Wrexham you can't buy your way out of the league as it looks like they are giving it a good go...

29 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The "rebuilding from scratch" excuse is wearing a bit thin.

Is it his sole responsibility to build the footballing infrastructure of the club AND manage the first team?  If so, that's probably too much and we need someone else on board to do one or the other.

Football's a simple game.  Getting 11 players together to be motivated, to know their jobs and to work as a unit is the most straightforward bit of the restructuring, surely?  And should be his primary role.

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

With the players he has it his disposal, he should get well above 40 points. I expect the 2nd half of the season to be much better than the first. Not sure how you know I still expect to finish top 6 with 80 points cos I've just checked and I have not said it...

There have been many 'shoulds' over the last few years that you have pointed out to us, like when we 'should' have been promoted from League Two. And we 'should' hammer almost every team we come across each week.

Unfortunately for us, time after time we see 'should' is not the same as 'will'.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We thank him for all his input to the rebuild off the pitch, we really do.

But his primary role is the one ON the pitch and that’s what he will be judged on.

If he cannot motivate and coach his players to put in the effort and level of performance that is needed, then he has to accept a large portion of the blame.

Ultimately he will sink or survive by the way his team performs.

That interview in the Oldham Times seems a bit like damage limitation to me. He knows that he's lost the fans and that the tide is very much turning against him and he needs to try and placate us. Unfortunately the only way to placate football supporters is to win games. If he goes on a tear in the second half of the season and we shoot up the league, I doubt there would be too many still calling for his head. He's the only one who can make that happen though. If you look at where we are, 1 point from safety with 3 games in hand on the next safe team, I think the board will at least give him until the end of January. That's 6 league games to pull us away from the drop zone.  At that point, if we are still in the mire, it would be suicidal to keep him. After January there are still 17 or so games left, hopefully enough for a new manager to turn it around. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, True Tic said:

From memory (and it's not the best anymore) Shez got off to a great start upon his arrival didn't he? - and then we suffered a couple of injuries to key players (including our main goal scorer). The difference now is that there is a multitude of players to choose from - we SHOULD have shot up the league already. We simply need a competent manager to manage the squad. If we could find a manager better than competent, I`m confident we would reach the play-offs, even now. Just ditch the glaringly obvious weak point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Getting sick of all this shite, why start the article off with ex premier league player and FA Cup winner? Frankly I don't give a fuck if he won the Oldham Sunday League with Freehold or had 100 caps for England, he's a shit manager end of story, he's taking credit for the rebuild off the pitch but frankly I think that is bollocks, those sort of improvements were well under way long before he was appointed and he is effectively taking credit away from others there, he has one job really or one job he is ultimately going to be judged on and that is to put a team out there to represent Oldham.

Our fans are as loyal as they come, I'm fortunate to have experienced the good times the pinch me seasons and can still reminisce, some are less fortunate and haven't even seen us in the top half of a division for a decade or more yet follow us home and away almost blindly, for players to pitch up and not even try is unacceptable in my book.

Unsworth has a huge problem here because he needs both the players and the fans on board and he currently has neither, BP will be toxic on Sunday which is a shame given it's an holiday fixture, all goodwill has evaporated and some are not going to just sit there and accept the tripe served up like he appears to do, many at Notts knew what was coming at 2pm when the team was announced, same old boring shite 5 at the back and three in front who don't cross the halfway line, Tollitt and Nuttall marooned and running around aimlessly as we try to keep a clean sheet against a team who never fail to score.

I just can't buy in to this guy, I've never met him but sense he's as self absorbed as they come, stuck up his own arse and from what I can see talks a good game but can't actually back that up with anything,  unfortunately he's there to be shot at now and he'll be judged on the team he puts out and their approach and nothing else the hours he does and the effort off the pitch is mute for 90% of fans who want to see two things.

Firstly a team that wins matches.

Secondly if they can't win then a team they can be proud of who care and give their all for 90 minutes a week, is it such a big ask from so called professionals to turn up and apply themselves for a couple of hours a week? Going back to Unsworths first interview he claimed hard work was a given a minimum requirement, anyone who can't be arsed to run or try or shitting out of tackles should be dealt with accordingly, don't keep picking the same players who don't buy in because they'll get him the sack.

I'm staggered he's still in charge if I'm honest, he's been a major disappointment and he's killed the club on the playing side despite having free reign in the transfer market, we've managed to find a right chump here and by the looks of it we are going to stick with him which will probably lead to further relegation if there isn't a significant change in results, how sad is that post takeover.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

There have been many 'shoulds' over the last few years that you have pointed out to us, like when we 'should' have been promoted from League Two. And we 'should' hammer almost every team we come across each week.

Unfortunately for us, time after time we see 'should' is not the same as 'will'.

do you think we 'should' sack Unsworth over it all?

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

if they can't win then a team they can be proud of who care and give their all for 90 minutes a week, is it such a big ask from so called professionals to turn up and apply themselves for a couple of hours a week?

It’s the age old conundrum - why do these players, who perform well in training, seem to lose their basic skills and determination when they cross that white line?
I put this question to David Unsworth when he did the Q&A with Suzanne Geldard recently - this was his response:

DU: It’s a great question. Confidence plays a huge part, performance anxiety and playing in front of a crowd and the pressure that match day brings, you can’t replicate that in training.

I agree - Confidence is key.

And as a manager, DU should keep it simple by adopting a system that the players are comfortable with. He should pick players in their rightful positions and give them the freedom to go and play.

There are leaders on the pitch and DU should demand of them that they are more vocal and supportive of the whole team.

Stick to the basics but, as JS used to say: ‘look after the ball’.

As you rightly say above @yarddog73, the players need to step up too.

1 hour ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

Instead of pleading for unity now that the fans have turned against you Mr. Unsworth, how about an explanation of the "non-contact" tactics in the first half at County.

image.jpeg.8c0afc124e87bb67803f0a0911b6ddbf.jpeg

I demand a team that wins. 

Edited by HarryBosch