Unsworth

18 hours ago, diggleblue said:

But they were good in training. Unsworth has to go. He's cluless. Any other manager would have brought on Abrahams in the second half today and gone for the win. Instead he was happy with a point against bloody aldershot. Tactically this man is inept. Please Frank,Darren and Joe get us a decent manager.

Look he is staying so no point keeping going on about getting rid of him!

And about Saturday, in our position every point counts at the moment. What happens if he brings Timmy on and we concede late on? Another pissboil I imagine.

Aldershot had won 3 drawn 1 in their last 4 games scoring 11 goals, so a point in my view was absolutely OK.

I couldn't make it Saturday but by all accounts we did alright without being great, and we kept the unbeaten league run going which is important.

Let's get plenty of points in the next 2 weeks, put some daylight between us and the bottom 4, then perhaps we can play with a bit more freedom.

4 uninspiring 1-0 wins in the next 2 weeks will do me just fine.

It's then all about building for next season.

4 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Look he is staying so no point keeping going on about getting rid of him!

And about Saturday, in our position every point counts at the moment. What happens if he brings Timmy on and we concede late on? Another pissboil I imagine.

Aldershot had won 3 drawn 1 in their last 4 games scoring 11 goals, so a point in my view was absolutely OK.

I couldn't make it Saturday but by all accounts we did alright without being great, and we kept the unbeaten league run going which is important.

Let's get plenty of points in the next 2 weeks, put some daylight between us and the bottom 4, then perhaps we can play with a bit more freedom.

4 uninspiring 1-0 wins in the next 2 weeks will do me just fine.

It's then all about building for next season.

We always say it’s about building for next season. We are shit again the next season and it’s rinse and repeat. Can’t we just be good ? 

58 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We always say it’s about building for next season. We are shit again the next season and it’s rinse and repeat. Can’t we just be good ? 

There is a clear difference this time.

1. The big spenders in the league should hopefully be out of it and replaced with dross.

2. We are actually looking like having good continuity into next season. I'm really encouraged by most of the long contracts we've handed out recently.

55 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Recent form is good it depends whether you are going to give credit where it's due or not, won three, drawn one, lost one of the last five is perfectly reasonable given three of them were away and one of those was to the table toppers at the time, that's would be top 3 form if you consistently got that points return so you have to acknowledge we may have turned a corner and are looking up at the minute, it's important we kick on and start to dominate teams at home now, Saturday will show us where we are at.

4 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

There is a clear difference this time.

1. The big spenders in the league should hopefully be out of it and replaced with dross.

2. We are actually looking like having good continuity into next season. I'm really encouraged by most of the long contracts we've handed out recently.

It's good that we're spending, but if I were the Rothwell's I'd want to see a better product on the pitch.  The backing they've given Unsworth should result in us being higher up the league, playing better football and getting better results. For the club to eventually become self-sufficient, we should be maximising resources.  We've now got the players.  We should be doing better.

On Nuttall, I vaguely remember reading something about Scunthorpe fans not being that bothered about him going.  Most of his goals were penalties and he offered little else, was the general gist I think...

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

It's good that we're spending, but if I were the Rothwell's I'd want to see a better product on the pitch.  The backing they've given Unsworth should result in us being higher up the league, playing better football and getting better results. For the club to eventually become self-sufficient, we should be maximising resources.  We've now got the players.  We should be doing better.

On Nuttall, I vaguely remember reading something about Scunthorpe fans not being that bothered about him going.  Most of his goals were penalties and he offered little else, was the general gist I think...

Squad is miles off being able to go at 2 points per game, at least 6 players short of having those sort of expectations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Right back, centre back, centre mid, left midfield, right midfield, centre forward. And they need to be players who would improve most sides in the league, not sure we have many of those currently.

Rhino's yet to bring in a right-back, but he's been allowed to strengthen in those other positions.

As I say, I think I'd be wanting to see more for my money if I was the Rothwells...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Rhino's yet to bring in a right-back, but he's been allowed to strengthen in those other positions.

As I say, I think I'd be wanting to see more for my money if I was the Rothwells...

He brought Varney in for the RB role!

Yes, those positions will have to be strengthened further though with more quality.

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He brought Varney in for the RB role!

Even less excuse!

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, those positions will have to be strengthened further though with more quality.

We're being very generous to Unsworth, then. 

Couldn't do anything with the players he took on?  Err.. OK.  Even though you've supposedly come to games incognito and Darren Royle said in the podcast interview that he wanted a manager who could make the best out of what we had.

Signs players, with the biggest budget we've had for years yet still can't get a proper tune out of them?  Righto.  What if the same happens next time he goes on a spending spree?

It's far from impressive.  You get managers taking over and having an instant impact and you have teams above us in the league with a lower budget, albeit they might have an established system of recruitment and structure in place.  We're hanging on to the theory that because we've been mistreated by the Lemsegams for years, we shouldn't be demanding success.  I'm not sure I grasp why - we've got decent owners now who are taking care of things behind the scenes and we've spent a lot on bringing players in.  What is it that needs fixing further for us to be better on the pitch?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Even less excuse!

Couldn't do anything with the players he took on?  Err.. OK.  Even though you've supposedly come to games incognito and Darren Royle said in the podcast interview that he wanted a manager who could make the best out of what we had.

Signs players, with the biggest budget we've had for years yet still can't get a proper tune out of them?  Righto.  What if the same happens next time he goes on a spending spree?

It's far from impressive.  You get managers taking over and having an instant impact and you have teams above us in the league with a lower budget, albeit they might have an established system of recruitment and structure in place.  We're hanging on to the theory that because we've been mistreated by the Lemsegams for years, we shouldn't be demanding success.  I'm not sure I grasp why - we've got decent owners now who are taking care of things behind the scenes and we've spent a lot on bringing players in.  What is it that needs fixing further for us to be better on the pitch?

Difficult to achieve consistent results when you are using as many players as we have done so far. Would a better manager have gathered an additional 10-12 points in the same circumstances? Not sure.

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Of the starting eleven on Saturday…

here before Unsworth:

Norman, Clarke, Hogan, Sheron, Tollit, Fondop - SIX

new signings after Unsworth:

Yarney, Kitching, Nuttall, Shelton - FOUR

on loan:

Chapman

Even less excuse!

You know my thoughts on this Joe, I don’t think he’s good enough to get us where we ultimately want to be. 

But.

It’s now 1 defeat in 6. We’ve constantly said - what improvements are we seeing? Well, the proof is the pudding results wise. We look a lot more solid and at the very least are competitive in games. 

Is he getting enough out of them to really push us on - no, not really. 

Is he now getting enough of them that his job is safe- yes, and because of his legend status with the board- doing just enough will be enough for them to stick with him. 

• Like 1

I think it can be both true that another manager could have got more points by now and that Unsworth was dealt a shitty hand recruitment wise so deserves more time for full judgement.

Interesting comments on the podcast today where we're potentially paying higher wages this year for players who got caught up in that embargo business last season (took that to mean Leutwiler and McGahey). They'll be off the budget this summer along with quite a number of other that are surplus to requirements. We have a very important summer of recruitment ahead of us, and things like that might mean not much more movement til then.

22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Difficult to achieve consistent results when you are using as many players as we have done so far. Would a better manager have gathered an additional 10-12 points in the same circumstances? Not sure.

I mean no way of knowing for sure, but Shez got 1.2 points per game (whereas Unsworth's one point per game) with a supposedly inferior squad..

22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Of the starting eleven on Saturday…

here before Unsworth:

Norman, Clarke, Hogan, Sheron, Tollit, Fondop - SIX

new signings after Unsworth:

Yarney, Kitching, Nuttall, Shelton - FOUR

on loan:

Chapman

Right you are - with Norman and Fondop being the central force around this upturn in results! So have we been mis-sold this idea that the squad he inherited were that bad?  

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You know my thoughts on this Joe, I don’t think he’s good enough to get us where we ultimately want to be. 

But.

It’s now 1 defeat in 6. We’ve constantly said - what improvements are we seeing? Well, the proof is the pudding results wise. We look a lot more solid and at the very least are competitive in games. 

Is he getting enough out of them to really push us on - no, not really. 

Is he now getting enough of them that his job is safe- yes, and because of his legend status with the board- doing just enough will be enough for them to stick with him. 

Yep, can't deny the results the results have improved.  Bit of lady luck involved too - blatant handball against York in the penalty area and that muppet doesn't chip the penalty on Saturday and it might be a different story.

I've made peace with the fact that he's here for the duration now - doesn't mean I'm not going to pick holes in everything he does, though! 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I mean no way of knowing for sure, but Shez got 1.2 points per game (whereas Unsworth's one point per game) with a supposedly inferior squad..

Right you are - with Norman and Fondop being the central force around this upturn in results! So have we been mis-sold this idea that the squad he inherited were that bad?  

Yep, can't deny the results the results have improved.  Bit of lady luck involved too - blatant handball against York in the penalty area and that muppet doesn't chip the penalty on Saturday and it might be a different story.

I've made peace with the fact that he's here for the duration now - doesn't mean I'm not going to pick holes in everything he does, though! 😂

I’m a tad more pragmatic. . . 😁

He couldn’t buy a win, and rightly came under huge pressure. 

He’s now turned it round a bit, so credit where’s it due. 

The issue I have is the bar for ‘success’ set by the board. . Marc White said recently that Frank told him the target was just stay up this year. . I think that’s a very low bar for Unsy to achieve. I think if we’re top half next year that will be enough to keep his job as well.  The counter view to that, is it takes time to build- but I don’t buy into that. We must have one of the highest budgets in the league- and next season there should be absolutely no excuses if we’re not in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m a tad more pragmatic. . . 😁

He couldn’t buy a win, and rightly came under huge pressure. 

He’s now turned it round a bit, so credit where’s it due. 

The issue I have is the bar for ‘success’ set by the board. . Marc White said recently that Frank told him the target was just stay up this year. . I think that’s a very low bar for Unsy to achieve. I think if we’re top half next year that will be enough to keep his job as well.  The counter view to that, is it takes time to build- but I don’t buy into that. We must have one of the highest budgets in the league- and next season there should be absolutely no excuses if we’re not in the playoffs. 

The current squad won't improve by a point per game no matter who the manager is, a lot more quality recruitment will be needed to achieve that.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

The current squad won't improve by a point per game no matter who the manager is, a lot more quality recruitment will be needed to achieve that.

Quite a few of Shez’s signing’s have played in a run of 1 defeat in 6. 

Before Unsworth came we had won 3 games in ten, and sat 14th. 

Despite a run of 4 wins in 20 under Unsy we still have an outside chance of the playoffs. (No chance we’ll do it, just highlighting how tight the league is) 

The commentary at Aldershot said, there is no way Oldham will go down with the amount of quality in the squad. They highlighted our depth when we brought the player of the division Rooney off the bench. 

Yes, we need additions, but the squad isn’t the biggest barrier to us doing well- the manager is. I think we’ll sign the players you mention, but I don’t think we’ll seriously challenge next season. 

Then it’ll be - he just needs another 3/4 signings. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Would a better manager have been less scatter gun with signings and placed more emphasis on coaching, improving & organising what he already had though?