Unsworth

5 at the back tonight based on the teamsheet

Huge question mark over the coaching if it's not been significantly improved upon on the training pitch since we last played it. Was so bad in November etc that choosing to go back to that would be seriously worrying 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He’s obviously gonna be here next season which doesn’t surprise me although I personally would’ve got rid a couple of months ago.What I will find interesting is now we’re safe how we play,there’s no excuses for Rhinoball to continue unless that is indeed his preferred style and system of play.I however think we’ll get more of the same negative,defensive tactics he’s employed throughout the season.Which worries me leading into the summer as I’m concerned even with a competitive budget and decent recruitment he’ll still not be able to produce a successful football team.There are no guarantees with any manager but I’ve seen no improvement even with better players so what’s gonna change in the summer?

17 hours ago, GrahamHughes said:

He’s obviously gonna be here next season which doesn’t surprise me although I personally would’ve got rid a couple of months ago.What I will find interesting is now we’re safe how we play,there’s no excuses for Rhinoball to continue unless that is indeed his preferred style and system of play.I however think we’ll get more of the same negative,defensive tactics he’s employed throughout the season.Which worries me leading into the summer as I’m concerned even with a competitive budget and decent recruitment he’ll still not be able to produce a successful football team.There are no guarantees with any manager but I’ve seen no improvement even with better players so what’s gonna change in the summer?

I went to Brentford v Newcastle yesterday. Both teams brought everyone back for corners and free kicks. Brentford drop deep and play narrow when out of possession. Both teams bunch tightly to one side of the pitch when playing long from goal kicks. Both teams played long balls into the channels.

Sound familiar?

Oh and Brentford frequently use the long throw to get the ball into the box - again a tactic used throughout the leagues. 

Obviously the skills and quality of play is far superior to that in the National league. But the main difference is the speed of attacking and the technical ability of the players when on the ball.

I saw far better players following similar tactics - maybe Unsworth needs to realise that the tactical approach he learned at a PL Academy is not quite appropriate for the National League?

Better players may come in but hopefully Unsworth has learned from this season. He has to find a way of playing that suits the players he has and the level we are playing at.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Agreed. 

But he can’t and won’t in my opinion. 

He is too set in his negative ways which is spoiling the momentum which Frank is trying to build up for families at BP.Many who normally go to away games are not bothering after years of following due entirely  to the boring rubbish displayed.Its not even as if we were winning much.Other teams know we are a soft touch and  collapse when play deep and are in with a chance right until the final whistle.

• Like 4

Why is he persisting with two up top just because the fans are demanding it ? Is he that weak of a manager / person. 
He should play two up top because he believes that’s the best for the team and will achieve the best results for the club.

To just play two up top because he thinks it will satisfy fans shows how poor of a manager he really is. 

Another indication to me he’s not got a clue. 

24 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Why is he persisting with two up top just because the fans are demanding it ? Is he that weak of a manager / person. 
He should play two up top because he believes that’s the best for the team and will achieve the best results for the club.

To just play two up top because he thinks it will satisfy fans shows how poor of a manager he really is. 

Another indication to me he’s not got a clue. 

Eh?  Is he playing two up top because the fans demand it?

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yeah, he has mentioned it at least 3 times since the fans forum. It’s clearly in the back of his mind when making decisions as he effectively made an excuse of playing 1 up top when Nuttall went off. 

10 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

A case of lose/lose then. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I'm no "Unsworthite" but some of the repetitive slagging on here beggars belief.

So you are happy for a manager to be playing a formation because that’s what fans demand/want ? Not that he thinks that’s our best formation ? I’d rather a manager have a vision on how we want to play. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He didn't before there was a huge outcry, I'm still waiting to see his preferred 4-3-3, with the injuries and suspensions he may be forced to play it, there was also a suggestion Reid couldn't play as a lone front man and 'needed' a partner.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

With our pedestrian midfield I'd have thought we must play two up top to maintain any control of the ball.

Finally our manager has acquiesced and still gets slated for it ?

It’s not that fact we are playing two up top that’s the issue, it’s why we are. 

The usual suspects on here will call Unsworth out whatever he does!

Royle had 5 or 6 lean years until we enjoyed success and our best ever period!

Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest premiership manager ever was very nearly sacked at OT!

Let’s cut Unsworth some slack for goodness sake….we all want ‘instant’ success but it very rarely happens in reality!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The usual suspects on here will call Unsworth out whatever he does!

Royle had 5 or 6 lean years until we enjoyed success and our best ever period!

Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest premiership manager ever was very nearly sacked at OT!

Let’s cut Unsworth some slack for goodness sake….we all want ‘instant’ success but it very rarely happens in reality!

Royle was doing it at Championship level. Not really a fair comparison. 

4 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Royle was doing it at Championship level. Not really a fair comparison. 

40 years ago.  With a completely different set of variables.

The comparison is insane.  It's basically saying if you give any fuckwit enough time, they'll have the same success with us as Joe Royle did.

It's basically saying if you give any fuckwit enough time, they'll have the same success with us as Joe Royle did.

No it isn’t, I’m saying if you give someone time they may have more chance of success.

There are no guarantees in football no matter what route you take but we

have had no success at all since the Royle era with 36 different managers / caretakers in only 29 years.
A lack of continuity has clearly not helped our cause.

• Like 1