Unsworth

DU seemed to me to be under more stress then I have seem before.  He really had a go at Tollitt during the game, and several times others too after poor play. I’m guessing he has been thinking that he could soon be 4 matches into the season and only 3 points to show for it.  Pressure mounts and is good for no one.

I think his strangely up beat public assessment of Tues nights game was his attempt to bolster team moral. If he had said publicly what he was really thinking, he would have further risked loosing the team.

21 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Happy with one, not so happy with the other two. Nobody would be happy for that to be extrapolated over the season.

So overall you are not happy. Stop replying to my posts saying we are only 3 games into the season then. We have had a shit start, simple. So Unsy is under pressure.  

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

So overall you are not happy. Stop replying to my posts saying we are only 3 games into the season then. We have had a shit start, simple. So Unsy is under pressure.  

Not sure I would describe a start that includes a 5-1 win but each to their own.

I'm intelligent enough to know that three sets of results isn't necessarily a definitive indicator of how the remaining 43 games will play out.

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

DU seemed to me to be under more stress then I have seem before.  He really had a go at Tollitt during the game, and several times others too after poor play. I’m guessing he has been thinking that he could soon be 4 matches into the season and only 3 points to show for it.  Pressure mounts and is good for no one.

I think his strangely up beat public assessment of Tues nights game was his attempt to bolster team moral. If he had said publicly what he was really thinking, he would have further risked loosing the team.

He’s never been able to grasp the PR pidge. When he first came in he went the other way and said what he thought and dug players out. I think he quickly realised that wasn’t the way to go and has completely over compensated the other way now. Where everything is great and now he comes across as delusional. (But like you, I know why he’s doing it) He doesn’t seem able to say, ‘yes we were poor in parts’ or ‘I’m looking for improvement’ because he knows fans will jump on it and immediately question him. He trying to show leadership, but is being letting down by his own ability to change a game. So ends up looking silly. 

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure I would describe a start that includes a 5-1 win but each to their own.

I'm intelligent enough to know that three sets of results isn't necessarily a definitive indicator of how the remaining 43 games will play out.

Www sorry mr intelligent. 

On 8/17/2023 at 7:41 PM, rudemedic said:

Missed my point. So I shall make it again. The points after 3 games does NOT matter. The points after 46 games does 

In 15 years time or even 15 days time is anyone going to remember that Wrexham had 4 points after 3 games last season. But I bet loads will be able to recall that Wrexham won the National League last season.

FWIW Stockport hadn't just come up from the NLN either. They didn't have back to back promotions. (Took them 3 years).

If we had spluttered into our first top half finish for ages then yes I might say Unsworth should be at risk. We didn't, we had a playoff level record after Christmas last season. We were 2nd bottom in December last season. Our game against Torquay was televised because it looked like a relegation 6-pointer in December.

David Unsworth has shown he can turn a season around, he did it last season. That gives him some leeway to show he can do it again, but as the season is only 3 games old it isn't in need of turning around just yet. I fully expect us to come strong as the season goes on, our squad is very strong. If Southend had 3 injuries then I wouldn't be surprised to read that Kevin Maher is putting his boots on. Doubly so if all 3 injuries are in midfield.

We may not get automatic promotion but there is a reason why the bookies still have us as 4/6 (best odds - 2nd favourites) for a playoff spot. A playoff spot is pushing for promotion. 

If we are struggling by the end of October then I wouldn't be surprised to find DU gone or on the verge of going. This is mid-August plenty of time and 43 games left.

Sorry , but you're clutching at straws . You say DU  has leeway because he turned it around last season  Why , because he tried a different formation ie; 442 , so 1st game this season what does he revert to ? Against a team in turmoil and only had 14 contracted players . We've already lost 2 thirds of our games (yes only 3 games played but if that form is continued we will be looking at relegation not promotion) & 2 of them were against poor teams  & yes it needs turning around now  .Unsworth is an arrogant man who only believes in himself . Harry Kewell was a  far more entertaining manager , yes our defence was shipping goals but you always thought we would score more than the opposition . Don't get the same feeling with Unsworth because he's so damn negative , let the opposition worry about you , instead of worrying about them , apparently we have the squad . get rid before its too late . 

4 hours ago, southwaleslatic said:

Sorry , but you're clutching at straws . You say DU  has leeway because he turned it around last season  Why , because he tried a different formation ie; 442 , so 1st game this season what does he revert to ? Against a team in turmoil and only had 14 contracted players . We've already lost 2 thirds of our games (yes only 3 games played but if that form is continued we will be looking at relegation not promotion) & 2 of them were against poor teams  & yes it needs turning around now  .Unsworth is an arrogant man who only believes in himself . Harry Kewell was a  far more entertaining manager , yes our defence was shipping goals but you always thought we would score more than the opposition . Don't get the same feeling with Unsworth because he's so damn negative , let the opposition worry about you , instead of worrying about them , apparently we have the squad . get rid before its too late . 

Harry Kewell was an entertaining manager if you love seeing the ball fly into the back of our net. I'm not entertained by that. We never got out of the bottom half of league 2 under him so more often than not the opposition outscored us. 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Harry Kewell was an entertaining manager if you love seeing the ball fly into the back of our net. I'm not entertained by that. We never got out of the bottom half of league 2 under him so more often than not the opposition outscored us. 

Aye but he didn't have Saint Frank bankrolling him, was working for a clown, and was playing in the EFL not the NL, so under the circumstances I think he actually did ok. wonder how he'd do with this squad? My guess is better than Unsworth.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Aye but he didn't have Saint Frank bankrolling him, was working for a clown, and was playing in the EFL not the NL, so under the circumstances I think he actually did ok. wonder how he'd do with this squad? My guess is better than Unsworth.

Maybe he would have done better maybe he wouldn't who knows but lets not rewrite history to say that that was a period of brilliant football it wasnt. Besides he's not exactly done much since leaving here unlike say Richie Wellens. 

I do get a bee in my bonnet about this concept of entertainment I find winning entertaining I don't want us to be gallant losers certainly not in the national league.

46 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Even Big arms would be flexing his guns at the thought of the riches that have been afforded to Vanarama man

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Maybe he would have done better maybe he wouldn't who knows but lets not rewrite history to say that that was a period of brilliant football it wasnt. Besides he's not exactly done much since leaving here unlike say Richie Wellens. 

I do get a bee in my bonnet about this concept of entertainment I find winning entertaining I don't want us to be gallant losers certainly not in the national league.

Agree. 43  1-0 wins would suit me just fine!

8 hours ago, southwaleslatic said:

Not like he had a lack of striking options though, even under the Lemsagams. Kewell was a terrible manager.

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Even Big arms would be flexing his guns at the thought of the riches that have been afforded to Vanarama man

Kewell league win % 34.38, Maamria 28.57%.

Move on.

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Unsworth 31.11,% in non league.

Pete Wild 44.13 EFL & NL.

I think Unsworth's league win % is actually 35.0%, which admittedly isn't great but is just better than Kewell and quite a bit better than Maamria. As I say, we need to look forward, not back.

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Rather be entertained losing than bored to death and still lose.