Was going to put this in the general topic, but thought it deserved to be a bit more up front. Sadly Pele (Edson arantes do nascimento) has sadly passed away at the age of 82. For my money alongside Cruyff, the greatest footballer I have ever seen. Rest in peace and thanks for the memories. 

Fortunate to just remember the 1970 world  cup what a player truely the GOAT.

I love this quote about him Burgnich, who marked Pelé during the 1970 final, was quoted saying "I told myself before the game, he's made of skin and bones just like everyone else – but I was wrong"

Just the 643 goals in 659 games for Santos.

Before my time but looking at the footage he seemed to do that thing that all great people do at everything a d that is make it look simple.

Their is something quite magical about watching the Brazilian football team in the world cup and I think it dates back to him really and that incredible side of 1970.

In an era of football greats when there was limited protection from a referees whistle....... he was the greatest.   In terms of sport, up there with Ali. Brought up in poverty and became a humble legend. 

See all you celebrities and politicians, watch and learn

• Bender changed the title to Pelé

Sad news and a total legend. Brought up the conversation who is the greatest player a latics team has ever played against. Doubt we’ve ever played against a team with pele, msradona, Cruyff, ronaldo even in friendly.

Cantina. Zola, gerrard, robson, Giggs, Schmeichel all got mentions. I thought suarez is right up there personally 

23 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Sad news and a total legend. Brought up the conversation who is the greatest player a latics team has ever played against. Doubt we’ve ever played against a team with pele, msradona, Cruyff, ronaldo even in friendly.

Cantina. Zola, gerrard, robson, Giggs, Schmeichel all got mentions. I thought suarez is right up there personally 

Although he was well passed his peak, we had George Weah turn up against us to play in a friendly once...

2 hours ago, Careca9 said:

We played a top Brazilian team Internacional at BP in 1975. I seem to remember we lost 1-0 with John Platt making  some fabulous saves. No, Pele didn't play for that team unfortunately, the great Falcao might have though.

https://www.footballprogrammes.net/oldham-athletic-fc-c-97_117_278/oldham-athletic-v-internacional-1975-boundry-park-p-39767.html

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/internacional/1975/2/

When Latics played, and won, at Plymouth back in 2011, I was part of the match sponsors group.

The host for the day told a story of when Santos, including Pele and Edu, agreed to play a friendly against the Argyle in 1973.

Contracts were signed and the fee was agreed - and a crowd of 40,000 turned up. Shortly before kickoff Santos officials demanded an extra payment, in cash, or they would not play the game.

After some debate, the further amount of £2,500 was handed over.

Santos were 3-0 down at the break with the goals conceded including a dubious penalty award. Cue another standoff with the Brazilians insisting that the referee was replaced at halftime.

Pele stepped in to calm things down and  the game continued, eventually ending 3-2 with Pele scoring a penalty.

One other story was that the match sponsors of the Oldham game, the local Co-op funeral service, wanted to give the MotM to Oldham’s Chris Taylor… I pointed out that it should really go to a home player and a certain Yannick Bolasie was given the award - whatever happened to him I wonder? 

16 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Brazilian football nicknames aren't what they used to be. From Pele, Jairzinho and Rivellino to Allison Miranda and Fred.

Hulk and Kaka were my favourites.

The use of the singular is because players wanted to be immediately identified by fans rather than by the 4 names associated with Portugese tradition.

56 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Hulk and Kaka were my favourites.

The use of the singular is because players wanted to be immediately identified by fans rather than by the 4 names associated with Portugese tradition.

could be worse they could be germans called cuntz

On 1/1/2023 at 11:01 AM, peanuts2 said:

could be worse they could be germans called cuntz

Stefan Kuntz to be pedantic (as I'm sure you know!). You beat me to it - I was going to mention that great Baddiel/Skinner/Motson sketch - there's a YouTube clip in this link:

https://dispensablesoccer.com/stefan-kuntz/

Archived