MATCH: Gateshead (H) 14/01/23 - FA Trophy 4th Round

How many strikers has Unsworth brought in and yet week after week we are talking about isolated strikers? Heres a thought, why dont we start with two strikers and a forward thinking team who get the ball into the strikers and we might win some games, insted of a flat back 8 who invite pressure and losses. It is becoming more and more obvious that Unsworth is out of his depth

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, disjointed said:

He was responsible for that crock of shite yesterday. He should be the one who explains why it was so bad. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Players need to start taking responsibility, not like a lot of them are short of experience.

After a performance like yesterday, I would like to see our captain, Liam Hogan, step up and give his views 👍

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

After a performance like yesterday, I would like to see our captain, Liam Hogan, step up and give his views 👍

He needs to concentrate on his game, we've carried him most the season and he's a big reason why we are so poor at the back, makes as many mistakes as anyone and has been a major disappointment. 

• Matt changed the title to MATCH: Gateshead (H) 14/01/23 - FA Trophy 4th Round
4 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Erm, he's done that before then gets absolutely hammered for doing it...

Bollocks.

He's come out and blamed the players before, never held his hands up and admitted he is partly, if not wholly, responsible for the abysmal football on the pitch. He has them for training all week, which I hopefully presume will be a recap of the previous game's plus and minus points and a skip-through video...as well as a look at what the video analysis/statistician has to say. Fuck me, he's got so much info at his fingertips yet does nothing with it.

He can sod off now, for me.

16 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Bollocks.

He's come out and blamed the players before, never held his hands up and admitted he is partly, if not wholly, responsible for the abysmal football on the pitch. He has them for training all week, which I hopefully presume will be a recap of the previous game's plus and minus points and a skip-through video...as well as a look at what the video analysis/statistician has to say. Fuck me, he's got so much info at his fingertips yet does nothing with it.

He can sod off now, for me.

No manager is wholly responsible for what happens on the pitch.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

No manager is wholly responsible for what happens on the pitch.

I agree, but he is responsible for the tactical set-up, training, motivation before, during and after the games and tactical switches during the games. None of which appears to be having any positive outcomes.

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I agree, but he is responsible for the tactical set-up, training, motivation before, during and after the games and tactical switches during the games. None of which appears to be having any positive outcomes.

Professional players shouldn't need motivating but yes, wouldn't disagree with any of your other points other than to say it is up to the players sometimes to work out and change things themselves.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Professional players shouldn't need motivating but yes, wouldn't disagree with any of your other points other than to say it is up to the players sometimes to work out and change things themselves.

Players can’t just decide to change position or play a particular way- if they did, they’d get dragged. They play according to a managers instruction.

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, they should be capable of changing things up and I am left wondering just how much they are sticking to Unsworth's tactical regime or just not giving a toss because they don't want him or his backroom team there. As you rightly say though, professional players should be self-motivated.

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Players can’t just decide to change position or play a particular way- if they did, they’d get dragged. They play according to a managers instruction.

I think the gist is, they should be able to up their playing tempo within a tactical formation and at least show determination. I think they can't be arsed.

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

As a collective they should be able to change things amongst themselves in play if need be, increase the tempo, drop deeper etc, fella on the touchline shouldn't have to micromanage every second of the match.

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think the gist is, they should be able to up their playing tempo within a tactical formation and at least show determination. I think they can't be arsed.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

As a collective they should be able to change things amongst themselves in play if need be, increase the tempo, drop deeper etc, fella on the touchline shouldn't have to micromanage every second of the match.

Yeah, fair enough. 

The footballing gods really have fallen out with us.

After FCF took over, we all thought ok, the fight back starts here.

But as we all know things have actually got a LOT worse.

Excluding things that are happening off the pitch, which all look very positive, and should  leave us in a far better situation in the long term.

However, off field actions need to be reflected in what is going on on match days. 

And here we are with the team that has been added too with lots of signings, looking an absolute shambles. I have seen most home games this season, and have not really enjoyed any of them. We simply don't look anywhere near good enough to compete with the other teams in the division. 

The manager, and both coaches have proved to be totally inept. 

A complete absence of any plan of how to play, zero battling qualities throughout the team. ALL the signings, for whatever reason have failed miserably .

All this because the manager looks clueless. He signs goal scoring strikers, then either plays them up front on their own, or does the unforgivable and doesn't play them at all.

And all season long, we have been screaming out for midfielders of quality, yet we have ended up with two untried kids, who are here on loan. And both are nowhere near as good as they need to be. 

Why can the manager and his staff not see the glaringly obvious. FCF has helped them all he can by bringing the players in that have been asked for, BUT the team and the situation has gone dramatically worse.

The manager, and his two coaches positions are now untenable, we are way past the chance of seeing tiny shoots of recovery. We are stuck in a massive downward spiral, and it is plainly going to end in yet another disaster.

We have come from being reinvented after the first home game against Dorking, ( even though even they ran rings round us )  to sinking back into the depths of despair in only a few short months.

The footballing gods need someone to make some big decisions, and to make them NOW.

29 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I agree to a certain degree but I think you (and others on here) may have assumed wrongly that our players have good, intelligent footballing brains. I couldn't name one that I could remotely call a clever player with a modicum of skill. They can't even pass to one another!!

5 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I agree to a certain degree but I think you (and others on here) may have assumed wrongly that our players have good, intelligent footballing brains. I couldn't name one that I could remotely call a clever player with a modicum of skill. They can't even pass to one another!!

They've all got skill, they wouldn't be professional footballers if they didn't. I would agree that there is a lack of technical ability amongst the squad.

12 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I think you are being rather harsh here. They are all, albeit to a differing degree, professional footballers who have and still are, making a living from a career most football-aspiring young people would dream of. They get paid handsomely considering the average wage but there does seem to be some kind of restraint or lack of impetus to their play. 

I think Wrexham at home was significant.  Decent first-half.  Sat back in the second, but if we see the game out and there's an argument there that his tactics work against the best teams in the league.  Confidence grows and I think we pick up more points in other games.

He would've got rumbled at some point no doubt and it's probably better that we've found out sooner rather than later.

30 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They've all got skill, they wouldn't be professional footballers if they didn't. I would agree that there is a lack of technical ability amongst the squad.

They may well all have skill to a degree but to me skill with a football and technical ability are one and the same thing. Some do have it but oh so rarely do we see it with Fondop's 2nd goal at Dorking and Tollitt's fine strike the other week being fine examples. Having said that I'm really talking about the basics such as controlling the ball, making space and passing to a team mate in such a fashion that they can control it easily and move it on quickly. 

7 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

They may well all have skill to a degree but to me skill with a football and technical ability are one and the same thing. Some do have it but oh so rarely do we see it with Fondop's 2nd goal at Dorking and Tollitt's fine strike the other week being fine examples. Having said that I'm really talking about the basics such as controlling the ball, making space and passing to a team mate in such a fashion that they can control it easily and move it on quickly. 

Gary Mcdonald often got pelters from the Main Stand usual suspects, as did Liam Kelly

Id kill for one of them in our midfield now 

33 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think you are being rather harsh here. They are all, albeit to a differing degree, professional footballers who have and still are, making a living from a career most football-aspiring young people would dream of. They get paid handsomely considering the average wage but there does seem to be some kind of restraint or lack of impetus to their play. 

Harsh?? Well I don't know what you've seen but I've watched dross for most of the season and regardless of the result the opposition have always seemed to have many players who have better technical ability/skill than ours. 

Having said all that I am now of the opinion that a change of manager and his mates may well improve the players because I believe they probably are better players than we've seen so far. Ebbrell post match was a fine example. Can you honestly see that man motivating anyone? 

11 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I'm sure if you went and watched them training they'd be doing that for fun, what separates the top players from the lesser ones is having the ability to execute skills to a higher level and more consistently under pressure.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm sure if you went and watched them training they'd be doing that for fun, what separates the top players from the lesser ones is having the ability to execute skills to a higher level and more consistently under pressure.

I agree. We clearly have a lot of lesser ones 😊

Archived