MATCH: Gateshead (H) 14/02/23

Yeah, he's going nowhere and we just have to accept this season is a write off unfortunately. Well, it might be worse than a write off, because after Gateshead on Tuesday I think the next 7 or 8 games are all against top half. If they can't close out a 2-0 lead at home to Gateshead, I don't hold out much hope for those games...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This proved tonight why we will be hovering around the drop zone till the end of the season, Nuthall is a lazy fooker and ain’t one for a relegation battle, 11 mins left and to lose a 2 goal lead,FFS!! Utter shite 

I blame Fondop for needlessly getting sent off. Deprives us of the opportunity of substituting like for like up top to challenge in the air at set pieces at both ends. That's why Nuttall stayed on.

It's frustrating/annoying to throw away two points against a team beaten only once in seven, but over reaction is futile. Seen enough recently to think both of tonight's teams will move clear of the danger zone.

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

I blame Fondop for needlessly getting sent off. Deprives us of the opportunity of substituting like for like up top to challenge in the air at set pieces at both ends. That's why Nuttall stayed on.

It's frustrating/annoying to throw away two points against a team beaten only once in seven, but over reaction is futile. Seen enough recently to think both of tonight's teams will move clear of the danger zone.

Aye, my worry about going down has subsided now and I think we’ll have enough to stay up. But, there isn’t anything that makes me think Unsworth could consistently get a tune out of the team next season. Apathy abounds. 

3 minutes ago, mick26 said:

How many midfielders have we had on loan this season? Wellens,Peck,Chapman, Threlkeld - none of them a patch on 20 year old Conteh that they have on loan from Middlesbrough. We're still miles off being decent at this level.

We should be signing players like that if the club wants to progress in the future.

13 minutes ago, mick26 said:

How many midfielders have we had on loan this season? Wellens,Peck,Chapman, Threlkeld - none of them a patch on 20 year old Conteh that they have on loan from Middlesbrough. We're still miles off being decent at this level.

There's a similar player at Manchester City called Alex Robertson who was available I believe. Breckin another there we should have brought in.

The amount of bottles that are thrown down from the middle to top end of the Athleticos block is absolutely disgusting. Around 5 went towards their players when they scored and shushed our fans. They're also thrown down to the lower section of the Athleticos section. One marginally missed my mates head tonight. Stop with the chavvy attitude and get a bloody grip. 

We play a static 4 4 2 so they just passed their way through us but failed time and again to make anything of it. DU on their backs to keep positions. Nuttall didn’t do well and that after the pointless substitution cost us 2 points and 16th. This will go all the way.

if we stay up undoubtedly DU will lead us though another lacklustre season - what a prospect!

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Aye, my worry about going down has subsided now and I think we’ll have enough to stay up. But, there isn’t anything that makes me think Unsworth could consistently get a tune out of the team next season. Apathy abounds. 

Don't think it's apathy, more realism. The BPAS interview with Pete Wild was confirmation that you underestimate this division at your peril. He reckons there are more "footballing" sides than in Div 2 and, having seen Latics in pre season, he thought a major recruitment drive was needed. 

We have started to see that change in personnel in the last few months and results have improved. However, it is clear to fans, and no doubt the manager, that further squad strengthening is required.

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We should be signing players like that if the club wants to progress in the future.

But, by your own admission BP, we need to clear the decks first.

By the way, further to our recent exchange of views about Sutton, do you reckon he is settling in to the RB role quite effectively?

3 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Don't think it's apathy, more realism. The BPAS interview with Pete Wild was confirmation that you underestimate this division at your peril. He reckons there are more "footballing" sides than in Div 2 and, having seen Latics in pre season, he thought a major recruitment drive was needed. 

We have started to see that change in personnel in the last few months and results have improved. However, it is clear to fans, and no doubt the manager, that further squad strengthening is required.

Sorry, I’m apathetic - not the wider fanbase. Better players will mean some better results next season.  But it’s hard to have any real hope for next season because I don’t think Unsworth is good enough to get consistent performances out of any squad he works with. 

11 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

But, by your own admission BP, we need to clear the decks first.

By the way, further to our recent exchange of views about Sutton, do you reckon he is settling in to the RB role quite effectively?

Yes, the big problem is too many in the sqaud who will never get a game and players signed with no dynamism. (Yarney one of the exceptions).

I've mentioned Sutton as a prospect since he was in the youth team, his future lies at centre back and he will definately play higher.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Sorry, I’m apathetic - not the wider fanbase. Better players will mean some better results next season.  But it’s hard to have any real hope for next season because I don’t think Unsworth is good enough to get consistent performances out of any squad he works with. 

I am still on the fence with DU. 

Think he has found it a culture shock but also think some of his signings show he is adapting. 

Going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

If we can clear out the deadwood and make good signings in the summer I would be optimistic of a much better season. 

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Really don’t understand why people are booing when we are drawing at half time. It’s embarrassing. 

Agree.Thought we played OK first half especially first 25 minutes when we could have scored.That last 10 minutes  ruined the night and Reid was hard working and showed what he can do.

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Really don’t understand why people are booing when we are drawing at half time. It’s embarrassing. 

Probably because it was a poor first half, apart from the first 5 minutes or so. I didn't boo, but it doesn't bother that people did. I don't understand how people clapped that first half. 🤣

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

It worked against Dagenham maybe they thought it would work again, seriously though I heard the odd boo where I was sat but it wasn't anything too alarming, peoples pay their money they can do what they want, can't blame the support though I thought the fans stuck with them despite it being largely pants. Personally I don't get too excited either way these days which I'm presuming is the apathy setting in.

Reid, coming bacm from injury, decent from, needed for Saturday/ 

Tuesday. Reasonably like for like sub in terms of style. I can understand that sub.

Nuttall another assist. Tends to do that if he doesn't score. Plays 90 nearly every game. Workhorse.

Plenty to blame near the rear of the team for those goals.

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

This is an issue I mentioned. It doesn't happen hardly anywhere else. 

I am sure some want us to lose so the manager changes. 

8 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yeah, he's going nowhere and we just have to accept this season is a write off unfortunately. Well, it might be worse than a write off, because after Gateshead on Tuesday I think the next 7 or 8 games are all against top half. If they can't close out a 2-0 lead at home to Gateshead, I don't hold out much hope for those games...

I don't think the division works out as binary as that. We comfortably beat Dag & Redbridge who were 7th.

Personally I think we're some way above Dorking, Torquay, Maidstone and Scunthorpe who will most likely make up the bottom four. I think Gateshead have a bit more about them and will pull clear, as will us.

7 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Probably because it was a poor first half, apart from the first 5 minutes or so. I didn't boo, but it doesn't bother that people did. I don't understand how people clapped that first half. 🤣

First 25 was fine. Don’t think we should boo when still in the game at 0-0 ffs 

Archived