MATCH: Gateshead (H) 14/02/23

Still seething about last night. Throwing a 2-0 win away against a team in the bottom four in the space of a couple of minutes feels criminal. Surely to god we can set-up to see the game out in that position, but we just look like a rabbit in the headlights. 

To be fair to Gateshead they passed it through our lines with relative ease for about an hour, their number 9 dropping slightly deeper to take the ball between our defence and midfield, with midfielders overlapping. We resorted to hopeless hoof-balls which doesn’t suit Reid, and let’s just say the jury is still very much out on Nuttall.

We went in the fan bar for the first time last night. Got served a pint straight away and had some really nice food. Great stuff.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What's going on with Kitching recently? Thought he was alright when he first came in but he's been poor recently...

Kitching plays better with Tollitt in front of him and vice versa. Tollitt plays better coming in from the left and curling shots with his right foot. Rooney is wasted on the left and should be in the centre of midfield. 

9 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

The amount of bottles that are thrown down from the middle to top end of the Athleticos block is absolutely disgusting. Around 5 went towards their players when they scored and shushed our fans. They're also thrown down to the lower section of the Athleticos section. One marginally missed my mates head tonight. Stop with the chavvy attitude and get a bloody grip. 

How dare you slag the Athleticos 🙄🙄🙄 Frank and the Oldham Times will disgusted with you 

I agree with the comments re Nuttall losing the ball but it was near the half way line and we had players farther back. I think taking Reid off was a bad move, he was putting a shift in. I personally don’t think Timmy is as good as some people do, he’s lightweight. Timmy and Tollitt spend most of their time on the pitch on the floor trying to get free kicks.

Will Sutton and Gardner best 2 players last night for me.

11 minutes ago, philwhite said:

How dare you slag the Athleticos 🙄🙄🙄 Frank and the Oldham Times will disgusted with you 

Lol! Nah. It's nothing to do with the Athleticos. They try their hardest to get an atmosphere, even when there's sod all to chant about. It's just the little shits further up who throw bottles down to the bottom of the stand or on the pitch. Ridiculous behaviour. 

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

Not sure I blame Unsworth for the result. Whatever 11 are on the pitch should be capable of seeing out a two goal lead with eight minutes to go against fuckin’ Gateshead 

10mins to go, 2up and flying.  We were pressing and winning the ball back even. They had a throw on just inside our half.  Our wonderful leader spoke to both Sheron and Gardner to push them back and sit.  I text my mate to tell him and that I thought we were unfortunately going to be under the cosh last 10 mins as a result. 
1 minute later I text him Gateshead had had their first 2nd half shot and minutes after their first and second goals.

Everyone stopped working at that moment. Still think Unsworth was not to blame.

I don't rate Unsworth and would gladly see him gone today but as @Lee Sinnotthas said all along, he's going nowhere (which I didn't believe btw). I never thought we'd go down, in fact I thought we would survive comfortably and I still think we won't but suddenly the games in hand have gone, 3 out 4 very winnable home games have gone and we are still in the mire. It would be an absolute disaster if we went down again, this team and squad has too much for that so who do we put it down to? If we don't pick up 2 or 3 wins very quickly, the board must act or this will be on them. My worry is, Unsworth keeps us up and is lorded for it and then leads us in to next season. We should have seen a massive improvement by now and potentially playing like promotion contenders from here on in so we can go into next season with a realistic chance of being at the top of the end of the table. That's not going to happen and regardless of whether he keeps us up (I think anyone on here could keep this squad up in this league) is Unsworth the man to ultimately get us back in the football league? I think not and so surely it's a question of when they pull the trigger and bring in someone who might just achieve that. 

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Garbage, negative and out played for most parts by a patched up team below us in the table at home who named three players one of which was the manager on the bench, they literally walked through the midfield unchallenged all night, only time we pressed as a unit we scored.

Norman was fucking shocking, on his heels for the first and weak as piss for the second, if Peter Clarkes on the pitch the last 10 we probably don't concede, weak as piss physically and mentally.

Sutton rightly man of match, Yarney, Sheron and Reid and Gardner did okay at times the rest a crock of shit.

3 of them here under shez.

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

Not sure I blame Unsworth for the result. Whatever 11 are on the pitch should be capable of seeing out a two goal lead with eight minutes to go against fuckin’ Gateshead 

Certainly don’t blame him for that, I thought we looked decent for long periods and well organised. The problem started when we stood off them and dropped deep which every time we do we concede . Concentration is poor too. They looked better than Dagenham last week but we should have made light work of them

4 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Certainly don’t blame him for that, I thought we looked decent for long periods and well organised. The problem started when we stood off them and dropped deep which every time we do we concede . Concentration is poor too. They looked better than Dagenham last week but we should have made light work of them

I was there. Unsworth told them to sit deep. 

15 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I was there. Unsworth told them to sit deep. 

Regular readers will know I'm no Unsworth fan, but I'm not sure I have a problem with him doing this.  We should have enough to put behind the ball to see the game out against a poor Gateshead side.

I think this one might be on the players...

Just now, JoeP said:

Regular readers will know I'm no Unsworth fan, but I'm not sure I have a problem with him doing this.  We should have enough to put behind the ball to see the game out against a poor Gateshead side.

Can't agree, you do not sit back and invite the opposition to come at you in the last 10-15 minutes when you are 2 up, it makes absolutely no sense at all. Why change the way you are playing when you are winning?

29 minutes ago, PeteG said:

My worry is, Unsworth keeps us up and is lorded for it and then leads us in to next season

This is exactly what will happen. 

You can see the quotes already. 

‘This season has been invaluable’ 

‘We can really kick on next season’ 

The bar for ‘success’ has never been lower at our club. 

4 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Can't agree, you do not sit back and invite the opposition to come at you in the last 10-15 minutes when you are 2 up, it makes absolutely no sense at all. Why change the way you are playing when you are winning?

Things change during the course of a game, players get tired, opponents change how they play and start committing more forward chasing the game. It's easy to say that if we just kept everything the same then we'd have won. In reality, it's not as simple as that.

5 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Because he’s more concerned with not losing rather than winning. Last night is just the latest example. 

4 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Because you don't need to attack any more to win the game - any remaining energy could be put into nulling out any threat Gateshead (that's Gateshead, not Real Madrid..) have.

You might be right, to be honest - I do see Unsworth's logic, though..

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The problem was we lost all momentum. Players have to dig deep at 80 mins. He gave them all an excuse it ease off. For example, Nuttall had been working harder then I’ve seen from him before, but we all know what caused one of the goals.

Also we threw Timmy on to press the defence. Nuttall dropped deeper and Timmy was running past him, telling him to leave it clearly under instruction.

I heard their coach shout to the defence,” work the ball, he will run”. 5 minutes later Timmy had a huge oxygen debt, and was completely ineffective from then on.

Clearly other teams have been watching.

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Things change during the course of a game, players get tired, opponents change how they play and start committing more forward chasing the game. It's easy to say that if we just kept everything the same then we'd have won. In reality, it's not as simple as that.

If players get tired, 1. they're not fit enough, 2. it's those that you replace. You do not ask them to sit back!

12 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Wank. There's enough experience on that pitch to be seeing out a 2-0 lead at home to bleeding Gateshead. The slightest set back and they crumble. Unsworth is shite but the players have to take responsibility for that. Looked a much worse team when Reid went off, he was doing the work of two men up there. I still don't know what they're doing in training all week, it's all just hit and hope. 4 points from 3 winnable home games is bobbins.

And in typical latics fashion, we win the game that was hardest of the 3 against the highest ranked team.

10 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

If players get tired, 1. they're not fit enough, 2. it's those that you replace. You do not ask them to sit back!

We aren't the first team to give away a lead. Unsworth won't be the first manager to have tried to employ a bit of game management. 

If we'd have been going all out for a 3rd and conceded then he would be crucified for not controlling the game better.  It was shit, annoying and feels like 2 points dropped. I came away from the Aldershot game thinking we were in trouble because of how we played. Last night I thought we played a lot better.

Unsworth is learning, the recruitment process is still in its early stages, we're picking up points and are now starting to play half decent football in patches. As long as we start to play better for longer spells, the next signings improve the first team and we continue to pick up points consistently then those are surely the incremental improvements most of us are looking for?  Our points per game since the start of the year would have us in the play offs over the whole season. Up to Unsworth and the players to continue that improvement for the rest of the season.

Just now, nzlatic said:

We aren't the first team to give away a lead. Unsworth won't be the first manager to have tried to employ a bit of game management. 

If we'd have been going all out for a 3rd and conceded then he would be crucified for not controlling the game better.  It was shit, annoying and feels like 2 points dropped. I came away from the Aldershot game thinking we were in trouble because of how we played. Last night I thought we played a lot better.

Unsworth is learning, the recruitment process is still in its early stages, we're picking up points and are now starting to play half decent football in patches. As long as we start to play better for longer spells, the next signings improve the first team and we continue to pick up points consistently then those are surely the incremental improvements most of us are looking for?  Our points per game since the start of the year would have us in the play offs over the whole season. Up to Unsworth and the players to continue that improvement for the rest of the season.

You don't have to go for a third to control the game, they are two different things.

Archived