MATCH: Gateshead (H) 14/02/23

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

In the old days we'd call them 'butter fingers'.

Still capable of excellent shot stopping, but not holding on to a ball.

Have we a goalkeeping coach who has noted this?

I notice when the team came out early for the second half that the keeper was just stood around doing nothing.Why was no one with him giving him a few shots to at least warm his hands .

Bet they can't wait to play us at their place next week, knowing all they need to know about the fragility of what's infront of them and Unsworth's non tactics to negate anything they throw our way.

A serious must win at all costs come Saturday and then the hard slog of games will either make or break us.

Unbearable in all honesty 

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He needs to learn how to push the ball away from the incoming forwards when he parries the shot…ffs!

That second goal wasn't even a shot, it was like a backpass!!!

Also look at the difference in the pressing between our second goal and both of the Gateshead goals.

20 hours ago, Boyyou said:

I blame Fondop for needlessly getting sent off. Deprives us of the opportunity of substituting like for like up top to challenge in the air at set pieces at both ends. That's why Nuttall stayed on.

It's frustrating/annoying to throw away two points against a team beaten only once in seven, but over reaction is futile. Seen enough recently to think both of tonight's teams will move clear of the danger zone.

Ha ha. Fondop's fault that Nuttall is a lazy git then. 🤣🤣

21 hours ago, St92 said:

That one has to go on Unsworth for me. 

Brought the wrong forward off. Reid stays on and the pressing continues.

With Nuttall instead we didn't have the press, they have time in midfield, a good shot from nowhere and goals change games.

Doesn't prove anything we didn't already know though, just another example of DU not being up to the job.

Your comment makes no sense. If Nuttall wasn't pressing anyway then leaving Nuttall on isn't why the pressing stopped.

Everyone very quickly on this Nuttall is shit bandwagon. He assisted a goal last night. Its also not his fault the rest of the team crumbled. He spends 90 minutes chasing hoof balls and having no service from crosses into the box majority of the game. We play so many strikers over the years that we lump aimless balls to then moan they aren't scoring.  Give him some proper service and see what he can do. It isn't his job to track back itsthe midfielders job to pick up those runners

12 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Your comment makes no sense. If Nuttall wasn't pressing anyway then leaving Nuttall on isn't why the pressing stopped.

Everyone very quickly on this Nuttall is shit bandwagon. He assisted a goal last night. Its also not his fault the rest of the team crumbled. He spends 90 minutes chasing hoof balls and having no service from crosses into the box majority of the game. We play so many strikers over the years that we lump aimless balls to then moan they aren't scoring.  Give him some proper service and see what he can do. It isn't his job to track back itsthe midfielders job to pick up those runners

For the record, I haven't said Nuttall is bad

The comment on the sub was the pressing stopped because we took the forward who was pressing off, and left the one who wasn't pressing on. So in this case, the DU decision to sub Reid off instead of Nuttall does appear to me to be why the pressing stopped 

13 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Agreed. But he was very weak in the challenge on halfway which led to their first.

17 minutes ago, St92 said:

The comment on the sub was the pressing stopped because we took the forward who was pressing off, and left the one who wasn't pressing on. So in this case, the DU decision to sub Reid off instead of Nuttall does appear to me to be why the pressing stopped 

Timmy came on as a direct replacement to press. So Nuttall irrelevant 

37 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

we have been a club that nullify decent strikers for years

Lee Johnson is one of our better managers of the 21st Century and I’ll never forgive him for playing Adam Rooney left wing 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agreed. But he was very weak in the challenge on halfway which led to their first.

He chases, but note how many times he gets there first, not many.

I've seen a striker in non league who hunts down and wins most balls..now playing higher than us. The will to win challenges should be a given.

2 hours ago, St92 said:

The comment on the sub was the pressing stopped because we took the forward who was pressing off, and left the one who wasn't pressing on. So in this case, the DU decision to sub Reid off instead of Nuttall does appear to me to be why the pressing stopped.

I have. He's slow, has a crap first touch and he's lazy. The first goal was his fault, but, I agree that the second was a collective failure. As a team, they all switched off for five minutes. Still, I'm not basing my opinion on last night alone. I just don't rate him.

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I have. He's slow, has a crap first touch and he's lazy. The first goal was his fault, but, I agree that the second was a collective failure. As a team, they all switched off for five minutes. Still, I'm not basing my opinion on last night alone. I just don't rate him.

You'd think DU and the coaches would now instruct him to be far more aggressive.

Hope so, but somehow I don't think they will.

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

He seemed to be playing as more of an attacking mid, and at one point LM on Tuesday. I couldn't figure out why because if that's the set up DU wants to use, surely you want Reid there and the target man ST up top 

12 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

not a well man Ibby and a certain podcast gives him a platform to be ridiculed 

I have not detected Ibby being ridiculed any more than we all are, certainly not on the podcast or on here.     Facebook may be different, I hope not but would not be surprised,  however nowt would temp me to go there to find out. 

He may be eccentric, for all I know he may have other problems but he is one of our own.  BTW I think he surfaced again this morning on TalkSport sorting out Arsenal on the phone.  Sure it's him, anyone else hear it about 9am?

1 hour ago, Punce said:

I have not detected Ibby being ridiculed any more than we all are, certainly not on the podcast or on here.     Facebook may be different, I hope not but would not be surprised,  however nowt would temp me to go there to find out. 

He may be eccentric, for all I know he may have other problems but he is one of our own.  BTW I think he surfaced again this morning on TalkSport sorting out Arsenal on the phone.  Sure it's him, anyone else hear it about 9am?

Sorry I didn’t word that well, I wasn’t suggesting the podcast mock him or anyone on here, but the exchange with PW on the phone in last week was toe curlingly excruciating and certain platforms do mock and abuse him (Twatter) - and you do well to avoid going there, I keep promising that to myself 

12 hours ago, St92 said:

He seemed to be playing as more of an attacking mid, and at one point LM on Tuesday. I couldn't figure out why because if that's the set up DU wants to use, surely you want Reid there and the target man ST up top 

I agree. I couldn't actually work out the formation at one point. It might be that I'm doing Nuttall a dis-service because of the manager's tactics. Were we really playing 442? it looked like 451 at one point, and 433 at another. The two strikers didn't seem to be playing close enough to each other, so were they actually being played as two strikers?

But I still think he is really slow. So, use him as lump and play Reid and Abraham off him. For that, they need to be close. They're not, and he just looks like a lump.

Archived