MATCH: Maidstone United (H) 18/02/23

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The wins are in spite of Unsworth.  There's been no change in performance, just a bit more luck.  

We need to build now for a promotion push next season - where's the progress?

We were outplayed for the majority of the game today by bottom-of-the-league-no-league-wins-in-11 Maidstone United.  It's been the same in every match.  All positive results under Unsworth have lacked any conviction.

Them missing a sitter before Reid's wonder-strike saves the game today from another calamity.

We can't dominate opposition (like a promotion-chasing team would) because of the way Unsworth sets up.

Well the progress has come results wise since the turn of the year with a more settled side. We don't have the quality yet to dominate sides but that's not really surprising as we are only a few months into a new era.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well the progress has come results wise since the turn of the year with a more settled side. We don't have the quality yet to dominate sides but that's not really surprising as we are only a few months into a new era.

We should have the quality to dominate bottom of the league Maidstone.  The manager has spent £100k on a striker and has been allowed to bring players in.  "New era" or not, we should be doing better.  The faith in Unsworth remains blind.

Well that was dreadful.  This season will go down in my history of watching Latics, as the most boring ever.

The enthusiasm, and life seems to have been sucked out of the fans. The atmosphere in the ground is dead, and all in all it's not a very pleasant experience.

And that being after a 2 nil win. I have seen every Saturday home game this season, and I have yet  to see us play well.

Today was like watching two amateur teams, and was very poor fare. 

I thought Yardy was very strong,  and looks a great prospect. Sutton looks to be improving after his recent bad luck with injuries, and should get better and better. Sheron looks decent for this level, and is our only player looking to get a tackle in.

The rest look poor, and we will need a massive influx of new players to have any chance of challenging near the top.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

We should have the quality to dominate bottom of the league Maidstone.  The manager has spent £100k on a striker and has been allowed to bring players in.  "New era" or not, we should be doing better.  The faith in Unsworth remains blind.

Just saying we should be doing this or that, presumably based on perceived stature, doesn't make it reality. You could argue every one of the permanent signings has improved the team to some degree.

5 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Well that was dreadful.  This season will go down in my history of watching Latics, as the most boring ever.

The enthusiasm, and life seems to have been sucked out of the fans. The atmosphere in the ground is dead, and all in all it's not a very pleasant experience.

And that being after a 2 nil win. I have seen every Saturday home game this season, and I have yet  to see us play well.

Today was like watching two amateur teams, and was very poor fare. 

I thought Yardy was very strong,  and looks a great prospect. Sutton looks to be improving after his recent bad luck with injuries, and should get better and better. Sheron looks decent for this level, and is our only player looking to get a tackle in.

The rest look poor, and we will need a massive influx of new players to have any chance of challenging near the top.

Thing is, 9 of those 16 in the squad today were his players. 6 started. Any manager should be able to show he can improve what he has before being trusted with more cash to splash. We’ve had a slight upturn when facing the easiest run of fixtures in the clubs entire history.

I’m convinced an actual manager gets tons more out of this set of players. Be an expensive experiment to keep churning over players. One that will fail. Poor Frank, having to put up with this and pay millions for the privilege!

54 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

No need Paddy. Only you need to look silly enough doing that. 

But I’m crying alright…I’m devastated we are still wasting our lives (and Franks money) with this clown in charge and playing Russian Roulette with this idiot. 

Happy we’ve pulled 6pts clear of the drop tho. Over the next 7 games, that will get eaten away. Enjoy right now…it’s the pinnacle of yours and David’s season 👍

1 defeat in 8 league games, my friend...

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Just saying we should be doing this or that, presumably based on perceived stature, doesn't make it reality. You could argue every one of the permanent signings has improved the team to some degree.

It's not based on "perceived stature", it's based on the fact that that our owners have backed the manager and we're supposed to have aspirations of getting out of this division.   George Elokobi hasn't had a fraction of the backing - they're probably not even his players out there today - yet they bossed us for large parts of the game on our own patch.

We have some decent players - check out Reid's strike today - but Unsworth hasn't shown any indication he knows how to move us forward.

And for what it's worth - we are a club that should be looking to get promoted as soon as possible.  Nowt wrong with a bit of arrogance.  All successful clubs have it.  Demanding improvement should be the minimal ask.

30 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

There were over 6,000 Latics’ fans there today which is an incredible turnout at this level and even more so given the poor football on show.

As others have said, if this continues there will be a further dropping off in enthusiasm and support - put simply, the players are not giving much back to the fans to help generate an atmosphere - it was a boring victory today.

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Is that one defeat in eight league games? Four wins three draws and one defeat. Should've been five wins, at least. Should not have been beaten by Halifax. Could easily have been five wins and three draws. 

And yet, it's still unconvincing and dull. 

However, it is a solid run.

And yet it means the manager is safe.

Confused!

Stop it Benson. Just stop.

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Thing is, 9 of those 16 in the squad today were his players. 6 started. Any manager should be able to show he can improve what he has before being trusted with more cash to splash. We’ve had a slight upturn when facing the easiest run of fixtures in the clubs entire history.

I’m convinced an actual manager gets tons more out of this set of players. Be an expensive experiment to keep churning over players. One that will fail. Poor Frank, having to put up with this and pay millions for the privilege!

I agree Ross

• Like 1

That was absolute wank wasn't it? They're getting results because we have some good players for this level, but there's no game plan or direction there apart from "wing it". We're somehow in decent form but it all feels very short term and fragile, that could so easily have been a draw today. Everything else around the club at the moment is great which is why I'm still going, but on the pitch 🥴 

To try and add some positivity, Reid is great. And Kitching had his best game for a bit. And the kebab from the truck in the RRE was 🤌

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Impressed with Maidstone’s media department for a part-time outfit.

I can understand the club not going full throttle on the media output due to the current feeling in the stands, but this level of quality is what we should really be aiming for. Especially with the fan base we have.

Edited by GKing521
  • Like 1

Every single manager in this league would get more out of this squad than Unsworth is getting. 

Results are short term, performances give a true indication of where a team is at and there is nothing cohesive or progressive about what we’re seeing.

Thought it was noticeable when Gardner went down that the players didn’t go near the bench for instruction and had a mini conversion of their own in the middle of the pitch 

27 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Every single manager in this league would get more out of this squad than Unsworth is getting. 

Results are short term, performances give a true indication of where a team is at and there is nothing cohesive or progressive about what we’re seeing.

Thought it was noticeable when Gardner went down that the players didn’t go near the bench for instruction and had a mini conversion of their own in the middle of the pitch 

Not sure that is true, you could dominate every game you play and still lose.

Good to see players taking responsibility for what is happening on the pitch, about time they did.

11 hours ago, JoeP said:

The wins are in spite of Unsworth.  There's been no change in performance, just a bit more luck.  

We need to build now for a promotion push next season - where's the progress?

We were outplayed for the majority of the game today by bottom-of-the-league-no-league-wins-in-11 Maidstone United.  It's been the same in every match.  All positive results under Unsworth have lacked any conviction.

Them missing a sitter before Reid's wonder-strike saves the game today from another calamity.

We can't dominate opposition (like a promotion-chasing team would) because of the way Unsworth sets up.

totally agree. I don’t mind him being defensive and sitting back but when we break we have to commit people forward quickly. We don’t even do that. The current tactic isn’t going to get us out of the league, surely he can see that. Have to hope we see a change before end of season or u can’t imagine many signing up to watch that for another season 

5 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

totally agree. I don’t mind him being defensive and sitting back but when we break we have to commit people forward quickly. We don’t even do that. The current tactic isn’t going to get us out of the league, surely he can see that. Have to hope we see a change before end of season or u can’t imagine many signing up to watch that for another season 

He's not trying to get out of the league is he, he's trying to keep us in it which looks increasingly likely.

27 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He's not trying to get out of the league is he, he's trying to keep us in it which looks increasingly likely.

Indeed.  Probably time for him to give us an insight into what next season's promotion push is going to look like...

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Indeed.  Probably time for him to give us an insight into what next season's promotion push is going to look like...

Squad will have to look very different if there is going to be any promotion aspirations so not sure clues are going to be in plentiful supply at present.