MATCH: Maidstone United (H) 18/02/23

18 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If we lose we won’t be relegated. If we lose Unsworth won’t be sacked. 

Quite correct - and it's depressing.

The small group I used to go to Latics with have all dropped by the wayside over the years i.e. one died and the rest have just stopped going. Consequently, I now go to be entertained solely by the football (whereas in the past it was just good to catch up with friends even when the football was bobbins).

Unsworth's "brand" of football bores me - so I decided to take a break, hoping he'd be gone sooner rather than later. He's clearly going nowhere. Conversely, he's clearly taking us nowhere either - this season or next.

I have a decision to make.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

The small group I used to go to Latics with have all dropped by the wayside over the years i.e. one died and the rest have just stopped going. Consequently, I now go to be entertained solely by the football (whereas in the past it was just good to catch up with friends even when the football was bobbins).

Unsworth's "brand" of football bores me - so I decided to take a break, hoping he'd be gone sooner rather than later. He's clearly going nowhere. Conversely, he's clearly taking us nowhere either - this season or next.

Impossible to talk with any certainty about next season.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Impossible to talk with any certainty about next season.

Certainty? Maybe not, but I’m far from convinced with Unsworth.

In the 5 months he’s been in charge and with the shed load of players he’s brought in have you seen anything to suggest we will see the necessary improvements required to challenge at the other end of the table?

I cannot believe these players are as poor as the results suggest!

It’s absolutely essential we have a strong finish to our season to boost ST sales for next season but the way we are limping along it doesn’t look likely.

If, and it is if, we manage to avoid another relegation, next season we need to be top half from the off, anything less and he should be gone!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Certainty? Maybe not, but I’m far from convinced with Unsworth.

In the 5 months he’s been in charge and with the shed load of players he’s brought in have you seen anything to suggest we will see the necessary improvements required to challenge at the other end of the table?

I cannot believe these players are as poor as the results suggest!

It’s absolutely essential we have a strong finish to our season to boost ST sales for next season but the way we are limping along it doesn’t look likely.

If, and it is if, we manage to avoid another relegation, next season we need to be top half from the off, anything less and he should be gone!!

Contrary to the shit-shows we have been mightily privileged to watch, I am agreeing with you. The overall lack of competency and commitment beggars belief which only confuses the fans when the brief spells of attacking and effective football have managed to surface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Same for me, dropped from a group of 4/5 mates consistently going home and away. Now it’s just me and one other and even we are on a thin ice with it. 
I can’t not go, Latics have been my biggest passion since being a kid (sad bastard I am). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Conversely, he's clearly taking us nowhere either - this season or next.

Opinion passed off as fact. 

It wasn’t long ago plenty were saying we were relegation certs unless we sacked him. But points per game has improved dramatically since the new year so relegation looking far less likely.

It’s plausible that as Unsworth gets more experienced in the job, he might get better at it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It wasn’t long ago plenty were saying we were relegation certs unless we sacked him. But points per game has improved dramatically since the new year so relegation looking far less likely.

It’s plausible that as Unsworth gets more experienced in the job, he might get better at it. 

For me he has the rest of the season to show he has improved, the product on the pitch is at best poor. The squad we have now should be capable of far better, Unsworth it's over to you. 

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I remember the days when winning was important, now it’s about looking after a manager’s apprenticeship- so as long as he is improving the board will keep him. 

The only trouble is- the bar is so low for his improvement, that overall failure is now being lauded. 

It’s very possible we’ll avoid relegation- and the club will praise him. 

It’s very possible he’ll improve a bit next season - and finish midtable, and the club will praise him. 

Meanwhile, we have one of the biggest budgets in the league and after 30 plus games, he can’t produce  one 90 minute performance.

It’s not even about Unsworth anymore, it’s the extraordinarily lenient board who are happy to give him fantastic backing and bob along with their mate

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, disjointed said:

For me he has the rest of the season to show he has improved, the product on the pitch is at best poor. The squad we have now should be capable of far better, Unsworth it's over to you. 

I agree. For us to go into next season looking at it being a positive one (ie challenging for promotion) then I think we need to end this one on the up. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I remember the days when winning was important, now it’s about looking after a manager’s apprenticeship- so as long as he is improving the board will keep him. 

The only trouble is- the bar is so low for his improvement, that overall failure is now being lauded. 

It’s very possible he’ll improve a bit next season - and finish midtable, and the club will praise him. 

Meanwhile, we have one of the biggest budgets in the league and after 30 plus games, he can’t produce  one 90 minute performance.

It’s not even about Unsworth anymore, it’s the extraordinarily lenient board who are happy to give him fantastic backing and bob along with their mate

You'd like to think expectations will be set higher than midtable next season, if they are and Unsworth doesn't look like achieving them then he'll be relieved of his duties, I'm quite sure of that.

They may even decide to make a change in the summer.

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’re arguing against things no one is saying again. Pretty much everyone in senior positions at the club is learning on the job. The takeover only happened a few months ago. People will get stuff wrong. Doesn’t mean they’re blind to mistakes or that there are other motives. No one was (seriously) expecting to be up there this season. So it’s plausible that the club haven’t wet the bed this season after a bad run because they want to build for next season being one where we challenge with continuity.

Improvement can mean different things at different times. It doesn’t mean that if we finish a couple of places higher each season we should all rejoice. Unsworth hasn’t got a job for life because he’s “their mate” ffs. 

I don't know how people are saying this isn't a must win/important game. I think it is. We drew the game against Gateshead. That felt like a loss to me, considering we were 2-0 up. Also take into consideration our position in the league. Take into considering the opposition we're playing today. We need to win this one. 

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Not referring t the current situation but you're describing how football used t be when managers actually got a chance to build something

16 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

I don't know how people are saying this isn't a must win/important game. I think it is. We drew the game against Gateshead. That felt like a loss to me, considering we were 2-0 up. Also take into consideration our position in the league. Take into considering the opposition we're playing today. We need to win this one. 

It's important and we should go in expecting a win, but it isn't must win. Splitting hairs I know but their is a difference 

23 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Anything other than a convincing victory today and he should be relieved of his duties. 

But..we all know that is not going to happen if that "convincing victory" isn't achieved. Maidstone are rock bottom, their results have began to improve, Latics should be running out with a win and they will, if they don't produce yet another dismal performance and play like they are capable of.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Not bothered in the slightest on the 'product'.

Give me 90 of the ugliest points next season and promotion back into the EFL.

We sacked Moore and Warnock in part because of style, they both went onto do well elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Gardner dropped. He has to be on the wind up this guy. 

Always going to happen. Shelton is his own signing who he was after for a while. Not saying it’s right, but no surprise for me.