MATCH: Maidstone United (H) 18/02/23

Two poor performances this week. Only positive for me today was 3 points but we couldn’t have complained if Maidstone had nicked a draw. If we stay up I can see a massive drop in season ticket sales. It’s not a good atmosphere at Boundary Park these days. Something has to change.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Quite correct - and it's depressing.

The small group I used to go to Latics with have all dropped by the wayside over the years i.e. one died and the rest have just stopped going. Consequently, I now go to be entertained solely by the football (whereas in the past it was just good to catch up with friends even when the football was bobbins).

Unsworth's "brand" of football bores me - so I decided to take a break, hoping he'd be gone sooner rather than later. He's clearly going nowhere. Conversely, he's clearly taking us nowhere either - this season or next.

I have a decision to make.

You said you'd already made your decision

4 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Gardner dropped. He has to be on the wind up this guy. 

Proven the right thing to do

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Was Danny Gardner injured?

Made of biscuits 

• Like 1

2 poor sides today. I'd hate to be a forward in this side. Feeding of scraps..suprised Rooney stayed on he's clearly not comfortable as a winger. Let's Sutton on his own countless times to dash in field lea in us with no outlet. Yarney did well again but I'm glad Maidstone don't have much in attack. A wins a win but we need to improve. 

It has been flat inside BP for weeks. The Athleticos have got the toughest gig of the lot trying to gee up the crowd.

The football is soul destroying and frankly the games are boring. I’m really pleased we’re picking up the points required to move away from the drop zone and I hope that continues but, as others have said, I think there will be a real downturn in ticket sales next season if the quality on show doesn’t improve. 

• Like 2

That was going to end in a 1 0 win with the team booed off the park but due to the baying crowd Sheron went forward rather than backing off won the ball and Reid converted.

So it all ended OK but no chance created in the second half until the injury time goal. 
The players are better than DU allows.  He is the sea anchor holding us back. 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Awful game. 

Two forwards dire, offer nothing, no options for midfielders. 

Gardner injured AGAIN, a waste of a wage.

Yarney good. 

Or maybe playing nearly 90 minutes first match back when not match fit after a  prolonged spell recovering from injury.  Then another 2 matches in 11 days was to much for an older player. DU is used to young players who heal quicker and maybe this is another mismanagement. 

Experienced managers and medical teams usually give 20 to 30 mins first game, then maybe start and do 60 or 70 mins as a minimum before a full 90 mins.

• Like 1

After the missed opportunity to push into mid-table last Tuesday, at least today's win (however poor it was) has given us an unusual 2nd bite of the cherry on Tuesday night.

With Dorking playing Torquay on Tuesday, a win at Gateshead would guarantee an 8 point minimum gap from the drop zone.  And with them having a threadbare squad (including a suspension from today) and not a lot of time for it to recover, we really can't ask for a better opportunity to get into mid-table.

We have to take the game to them and dominate it as a bare minimum.  Unsworth is starting to pick up a few results and credit to him for that, but performances between now and the end of the season need to improve for him to have any sort of future as manager.

3 minutes ago, old codger said:

That was going to end in a 1 0 win with the team booed off the park but due to the baying crowd Sheron went forward rather than backing off won the ball and Reid converted.

So it all ended OK but no chance created in the second half until the injury time goal. 
The players are better than DU allows.  He is the sea anchor holding us back. 

I might have totally mis read the situation, but after we scored the 1st (good strike by the way), Nuttall went straight over to DU and then immediately started playing 5 yards deeper. If we are going to play someone in the no.10 role, I would rather it be Rooney than Nuttall. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Or maybe playing nearly 90 minutes first match back when not match fit after a  prolonged spell recovering from injury.  Then another 2 matches in 11 days was to much for an older player. DU is used to young players who heal quicker and maybe this is another mismanagement. 

Experienced managers and medical teams usually give 20 to 30 mins first game, then maybe start and do 60 or 70 mins as a minimum before a full 90 mins.

Ah, something else that is DUs fault, got it

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

…or maybe he is just always injured. Yeah… that’ll be it. 

Is that one defeat in eight league games? Four wins three draws and one defeat. Should've been five wins, at least. Should not have been beaten by Halifax. Could easily have been five wins and three draws. 

And yet, it's still unconvincing and dull. 

However, it is a solid run.

And yet it means the manager is safe.

Confused!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Is that one defeat in eight league games? Four wins three draws and one defeat. Should've been five wins, at least. Should not have been beaten by Halifax. Could easily have been five wins and three draws. 

Confused!

It isn't good is it, there is a limit to the ammount of shite you can watch, it sucks the life out of the crowd. 

• Like 1

Three points, poor performance in general nonetheless.

Mark Shelton stood out, able to pass the ball, also consistenly to a blue shirt.

It was a difficult watch, we are months into the new coaching methods and tactics, but still so devoid of ideas or patterns of play.

The pitch was again referenced in the post match interview, the point is we didn't dominate or impose ourselves on a very poor side.

Won the game so who cares ...

I watched Mark Kitching closely, really good player, regularly in the right position to receive the ball and create down the left, instead we try to find John Rooney, who didn't influence the game so much today.

The atmosphere in BP is mentioned by several posters, it is flat, people are losing interest.

Alex Reid produced a sweet finish at the end, igniting the wavering crowd, need to do more of this or the attendances will surely dwindle.

Calling for the managers head is futile, the club are backing him over the term of his contract it appears.

OK then, no problem, the board will need to sanction many more signings before we witness the David Unsworth 4-3-3 vision.

It maybe great, we have a long wait to know.

My unease is will the vision be a team capable of winning promotion.

The champions will be free scoring, battering the weak sides and taking points of near rivals.

Hard to see how we transition from this point to a championship winning team with the Unsworth blueprint, unless there is monumental investment in players.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Unsworth is starting to pick up a few results and credit to him for that

The results are not down to Unsworth and he looks as frustrated as the rest of us !!

He may be the current manager but no way is he remotely managing this lot.

He stands on the touch line with Ebbrell and and the pair of them look absolutely clueless repeatedly serving up shite week after week.

They were the worst side I’ve seen at BP for a long long time and no doubt deserve to be bottom yet created and blew several gilt edged chances to draw level.

We never show any composure or control and are never ever comfortable in possession.

This rubbish is so hard to watch and I go to games nowadays out of blind faith!!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The results are not down to Unsworth and he looks as frustrated as the rest of us !!

He stands on the touch line with Ebbrell and and the pair of them look absolutely clueless repeatedly serving up shite week after week.

They were the worst side I’ve seen at BP for a long long time and no doubt deserve to be bottom yet created and blew several gilt edged chances to draw level.

We never show any composure or control and are never ever comfortable in possession.

This rubbish so hard to watch and I go to games nowadays out of blind faith!!

I like it, no credit to him for the wins but all the stick going for the defeats.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This rubbish so hard to watch and I go to games nowadays out of blind faith!!

I like it, no credit to him for the wins but all the stick going for the defeats.

41 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Confused!

Yep it could have been more and we have faced sides mainly in the bottom third. But It's progress from where we were that's the important thing. We have a long way to go to where we need to be. If we play like we did today next week at Chesterfield we will probably get beat. But their are signs of a recovery. I will take progress of anykind even if it is slow.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You don’t half come out with some crap. Did you go today?….. If you’re happy to watch this shite week in week out then good for you!

I started to watch it but got dragged away by the good wife and ended up missing the rest of it. Happy for the win and for Reid getting another goal. No doubt he will be dropped to the bench and Fondop reinstated next game.

The game itself, by what I have read on here, wasn't a classic but surely we have to be happy with the win. I have seen Latics play some utter shite over the years and still win. Can't complain.

Gateshead up next and I am hoping they are not becoming our non-league bogey team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Tag boundaryblue on Twitter...

No need Paddy. Only you need to look silly enough doing that. 

But I’m crying alright…I’m devastated we are still wasting our lives (and Franks money) with this clown in charge and playing Russian Roulette with this idiot. 

Happy we’ve pulled 6pts clear of the drop tho. Over the next 7 games, that will get eaten away. Enjoy right now…it’s the pinnacle of yours and David’s season 👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The wins are in spite of Unsworth.  There's been no change in performance, just a bit more luck.  

We need to build now for a promotion push next season - where's the progress?

We were outplayed for the majority of the game today by bottom-of-the-league-no-league-wins-in-11 Maidstone United.  It's been the same in every match.  All positive results under Unsworth have lacked any conviction.

Them missing a sitter before Reid's wonder-strike saves the game today from another calamity.

We can't dominate opposition (like a promotion-chasing team would) because of the way Unsworth sets up.

• Like 2