MATCH: Chesterfield (A) 25/02/23

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Most importantly it's a great win.

Again it sounded like we invited pressure on ourselves from the moment we scored until full time, but credit to the team (and especially Norman by the sounds of it) for holding out.

After Tuesday night's horror show I can't help but think "4 wins now needed for safety from 14 games" because of how bad performances have been.  But this feels different from so many League One seasons in the 2010's when this was the norm due to the lack of realistic potential to push higher. 

We really should be doing better than a relegation scrap for the rest of the season and that needs to be the message to Unsworth and the players.  Limping through to the end of the season without consistent positive performances needs to be a sackable offence for Unsworth.  If the culture and attitude of the players isn't good enough between now and the end of the season then a squad clearout should be done too (something I'm not generally a fan of).

We've been so desperate this season for a result like this to kickstart our change in fortunes and it just hasn't happened since Frank and the Royle's took over, I sincerely hope this is it despite so far not being at all convinced by Unsworth's ability to take us up the league.

If we return to pre Christmas form, and just survive. He has to go.

If we keep post Christmas form up, we’ll finish midtable and that is the bare minimum acceptable. 

I'm enjoying the win tonight but it is a slightly hollow feeling. We create very few chances, we surrender a lot of territory and possession. We rely on good defending, great goalkeeping and poor finishing from the opposition. I look forward to enjoying a win where we have actually dominated a match. Will this happen under Unsworth? I can't see it. 

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Busy mopping up their tears and finalising their "We won in spite of the manager" takes.

Jeez Louise.  A great win, on it's own.

People like me, who think he's getting by on his goalkeeper and poor opposition during this "run" are not going to start coming on saying how great everything is and how wrong we were as our argument has hardly been disproven today.

Congratulations to all involved.  I didn't see it coming.  Enjoy the victory, but the concerns still remain!

7 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I'm enjoying the win tonight but it is a slightly hollow feeling. We create very few chances, we surrender a lot of territory and possession. We rely on good defending, great goalkeeping and poor finishing from the opposition. I look forward to enjoying a win where we have actually dominated a match. Will this happen under Unsworth? I can't see it. 

Dorking and York

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

who think he's getting by on his goalkeeper and poor opposition during this "run"

We played a top 5 side today. 

Why is run in quotes- like we aren’t on one or you don’t believe it? The facts speak for themselves. 

Won 5

Drawn 3 

Lost 2. 

Is it possible to not like the football and have serious reservations about him- but still give credit where it’s due.

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why is the match thread so quiet when we win??  

It’s almost like people can’t put aside their feelings for Unsy and just celebrate the win. 

Now why on earth would you think that's the case?

I'm raising a glass to the football genius right now,

On to Barnet we go

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

People like me, who think he's getting by on his goalkeeper and poor opposition during this "run" are not going to start coming on saying how great everything is and how wrong we were as our argument has hardly been disproven today.

Congratulations to all involved.  I didn't see it coming.  Enjoy the victory, but the concerns still remain!

What's a "run" ? Does it differ from a standard run?

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Concerns are fine but you could argue 3 months ago we would have lost that so while concerns remain we should acknowledge we are moving in the right direction even if we are making a few stumbles along the way.

I feared for today but we've got a win. Going away to play off chasing teams winning and keeping a clean sheet even if it's ugly is what promotion chasing sides do.

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We played a top 5 side today. 

Why is run in quotes- like we aren’t on one or you don’t believe it? The facts speak for themselves. 

Won 5

Drawn 3 

Lost 2. 

Is it possible to not like the football and have serious reservations about him- but still give credit where it’s due.

I call it a "run" because I think there's been a lot of fortune involved.  Unsworth's approached every single game the same since he's been here and outstanding goal-keeping and poor finishing by the opposition in recent games are masking his tactical short-comings and our improvement.

But - credit where credit's due - for once, his tactics were probably appropriate for a game like today...onwards and upwards. 

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

I call it a "run" because I think there's been a lot of fortune involved.  Unsworth's approached every single game the same since he's been here and outstanding goal-keeping and poor finishing by the opposition in recent games are masking his tactical short-comings and our improvement.

But - credit where credit's due - for once, his tactics were probably appropriate for a game like today...onwards and upwards. 

We still can’t pass a ball. 

We offer very little going forward. 

It’s very hard to enjoy as a spectacle. 

BUT. 

The massive difference today was everybody put in a shift in, and we defended superbly. Real bodies on the line stuff. In fact-  that is probably the only game in his tenure where all the players gave a 90 minute performance of effort. 

If he could get that level of effort and desire out of them every week, then even his ultra defensive style can get results. As is now being proved. 

Wasn’t happy with the lineup and vented that on here, but it was a much improved performance from Tuesday, not hard I know. As a fan base, it’s been absolutely warranted the stick DU has had, with myself vocal in those criticisms and wanting him gone, but he has to take some credit when things go well also, like it did today. I was there, and whilst it wasn’t pretty, far from it, we were brilliant at the back today, and every single player put a right shift in. Norman was fantastic, MOTM. Hogan after Tuesday’s horror show had his best game in blue, and thats the player I was expecting to see on a consistent basis, whilst Yarney also impressed and has been a good signing. I can see Sutton getting scouted at a higher placed club in the leagues of he carries on progressing as he is, fantastic again today. Kitching also had a good game. 
Special mention as always to the fans, superb. 

I'm still in the RhinoSceptic camp, but looking at Norman and Sutton, I do wonder if they've gained confidence under his management. Norman was very low on confidence and Sutton is a young lad coming back from a long injury. Both have really impressed.

Hopefully, some of it will rub off on Nuttall. Sorry, but he's still very unconvincing. 

2 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I'm still in the RhinoSceptic camp, but looking at Norman and Sutton, I do wonder if they've gained confidence under his management. Norman was very low on confidence and Sutton is a young lad coming back from a long injury. Both have really impressed.

Hopefully, some of it will rub off on Nuttall. Sorry, but he's still very unconvincing. 

Fondop did well when he came on, I hope Nuttall was watching. 

7 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Agree with this. 1 thing that struck me today at FT was the squad’s togetherness and what appeared to be their delight and relationships with DU, it felt like the squad very much are playing for him. May be over reading things after an away win at 4th in the league, but I did pick up on that. 

6 minutes ago, daniel said:

Agree with this. 1 thing that struck me today at FT was the squad’s togetherness and what appeared to be their delight and relationships with DU, it felt like the squad very much are playing for him. May be over reading things after an away win at 4th in the league, but I did pick up on that. 

100% Dan.

All the players and the coaching staff coming over at the end. 

But the performance said it more the clapping.  Everyone put a 90 minute shift in today. 

9 minutes ago, daniel said:

That's good, to be fair.

And I see there was a few fist-pumps to the fans too.  I like that sort of stuff.  Maybe he was saving them up...

Archived