MATCH: Chesterfield (A) 25/02/23

Tuesday is a big game now. Can they show the same desire and effort against one of the stronger play off contenders?

We really haven’t seen consecutive good performances and until we go on a proper run of 3-5 wins in a row I will remain far from convinced that Unsworth should be given next season (although I realise he will!)

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I think for some they acknowledge some progress it’s just not the right sort of progress. . 👀😂

Joking aside- I do understand it to a degree because we are hard to watch. But the big difference yesterday was it looked liked they really wanted it- and any style is more palatable when the players look really at it- and for 90 minutes, not 15 minute spells. 

The big test is can they do it again at Barnet.

Will 'tiredness' after such an effort take its toll?

I'd like to think a standard work ethic for all the players had been set now.

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I really hate disagreeing with something this positive (the bit in bold) but from what's gone before in recent times I think it's more likely that we'll throw in the odd good performance like Dag & Red 2nd half and yesterday, with the rest being frustratingly poor.

Consecutive wins or consecutive good performances at some point during the rest of the season may change my mind, but I'm still not convinced that this will happen.

So far this calender year its the Halifax's and Gateshead's have proven to be the exceptions.

The squad is still a work in progress their are clearly still weaknesses, and those weaknesses will best be addressed in the summer but we are now well clear of the relegation places our next target should be push on further and finish as high up the table as possible.

Let's not forget we are watching the back end of the national league season its going to feel like abit of a grind at times. Yesterday showed that the players are prepared to fight for the club and for the manager too, that mustn't be unestimated they could have a put a half arsed performance in Yesterday and effectively thrown him under a bus but they didn't.

Their is work to do still clearly but when you consider where we were after the Notts County game at meadow Lane (The point that I genuinely believe is our footballing Nadir I don't think we will go lower than that) where we were effectively staring down the barrell of regional football then we have to acknowledge we have made some positive strides.

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The match stats speak volumes:

Chesterfield attempts - On Target 11, Off Target 9

Latics attempts - On Target 2,  Off Target 4

…….

Yes we defended well but it’s still not the football I want to see 😮

At the moment, only one stat matters

26 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I agree. Not an air shot for me, as soon as he dummied the ball he was looking to see if his team mate was there at the back post to finish it. Great team goal 👍

And if his team mate wasn’t there…then what?

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Nope. If you look carefully, Nuttall's leg moves outward, away from the ball.
In the slo-mo, it appears to be a step-over.

Why would a striker in a yard of space step over the ball when it was virtually a tap in?

one ponders how much of the extra effort and fighting spirit  was to do with the Hallam Hope assault lets pay these bastards back for it the best way we can take all three points on there own patch they took the piss at ours lets give it them back with bells on ! 

Archived