MATCH: Chesterfield (A) 25/02/23

I’m pissed so I may wish I’d have posted this tomorrow after vetting it.

As far as competitiveness goes, non existent. It was pretty much one way traffic from the moment we scored. There is zero composure across the entire team, and it’s blatantly obvious we’re set up to defend first off.

First 5 minutes we were positive, straight at them and a well worked goal was the reward. After that, the Alamo. We couldn’t keep hold of the ball at all and just stood off them. Absolutely nobody could argue if we went home losing 4-1.

The way we set up is horrible. No press until they get to the final third. And our only outlet is to twat it upfield And hope for the best.

I’ve defended Nuttall a lot recently but he was dreadful today. But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in that he has literally no service. And I know the response to that will be Fondop’s cameo, but I’d say you’ve always got a point to prove coming off the bench, and you’re also playing against a tiring side. That being said, Fondop has earned a starting spot against Barnet.

A starting XI without Reid clearly showed Unsy’s ambition, which was lacklustre.  But for the first time in a long time, we showed some bollocks today. 

Norman MOM for sure. Thought Hogan was poor first half hour but he made up for that in the last half hour with a real captains performance. Head on everything, vocal, commanding. Fair play.

Kitching was very good. He gets criticism defensively but he has absolutely no cover on that left side so he’s often 2v1.

Sheron was in his element today. Dog fighter, limited of course but effective and very useful.

Fondop a handful when he came on.

We should stay up. We’re crap, still. 

Unsworth got away with it today big time. On another day, we get battered and he’s got 1300 tics baying for blood in front of Frank.

But three points baby. That’s never a bad thing.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I've seen us live for some time. Simple thoughts.

Lord knows why some question Norman.

Hogan was very important.

Kitching good going forward, not often enough.

Sat too deep.

Fondop huge upgrade on Nuttall,  doubt we'd have won without him

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

First time I've seen us live for some time. Simple thoughts.

Lord knows why some question Norman.

Hogan was very important.

Kitching good going forward, not often enough.

Sat too deep.

Fondop huge upgrade on Nuttall,  doubt we'd have won without him

Love that Dave. We are not at the level of Chezvegas by a long way and it worked.

We found a way to win which is important.

Onto Barnet...   

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

I’m pissed so I may wish I’d have posted this tomorrow after vetting it.

As far as competitiveness goes, non existent. It was pretty much one way traffic from the moment we scored. There is zero composure across the entire team, and it’s blatantly obvious we’re set up to defend first off.

First 5 minutes we were positive, straight at them and a well worked goal was the reward. After that, the Alamo. We couldn’t keep hold of the ball at all and just stood off them. Absolutely nobody could argue if we went home losing 4-1.

The way we set up is horrible. No press until they get to the final third. And our only outlet is to twat it upfield And hope for the best.

I’ve defended Nuttall a lot recently but he was dreadful today. But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in that he has literally no service. And I know the response to that will be Fondop’s cameo, but I’d say you’ve always got a point to prove coming off the bench, and you’re also playing against a tiring side. That being said, Fondop has earned a starting spot against Barnet.

A starting XI without Reid clearly showed Unsy’s ambition, which was lacklustre.  But for the first time in a long time, we showed some bollocks today. 

Norman MOM for sure. Thought Hogan was poor first half hour but he made up for that in the last half hour with a real captains performance. Head on everything, vocal, commanding. Fair play.

Kitching was very good. He gets criticism defensively but he has absolutely no cover on that left side so he’s often 2v1.

Sheron was in his element today. Dog fighter, limited of course but effective and very useful.

Fondop a handful when he came on.

We should stay up. We’re crap, still. 

Unsworth got away with it today big time. On another day, we get battered and he’s got 1300 tics baying for blood in front of Frank.

But three points baby. That’s never a bad thing.

100% agree apart from being sober lol.

Could have been a heavy loss  but credit where its due. Defended  well but playing deep invites problems.We have the strikers to cause defences  problems so attack when you can

Good hard fought win yesterday.

Defence played better than they did at Gateshead and also had plenty of luck against a team that battered us in the first half. Norman,Sutton and Yarney stood out for me and Hogan and Kitching improved on previous performances. Great atmosphere created by all the fans 😀👍 

We are still a long way off Wrexham and Notts County but hopefully with them both gone for next season all the other teams are like us….. beatable.

8 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

The match stats speak volumes:

Chesterfield attempts - On Target 11, Off Target 9

Latics attempts - On Target 2,  Off Target 4

…….

Yes we defended well but it’s still not the football I want to see 😮

First half we were hanging on, and I said at half time that we won’t get away with it if it carried on the same, but my main hope was that they’d be low on confidence because of the run they are on.

Second half they ran out of ideas, but I thought we saw the game out well and it really looked like it mattered to them. Some good performances, notably Norman, but Hogan had his best game for a while (a low bar I know), Yarney continues to impress., and Kitching and Sheron also stood out for me.

I might be in the minority but I also felt quite pleased for Unsworth at the end when he came over and had his ‘moment’ with the fans, and I’m far from a fan of his.

All in all a great result, battling performance and a good day out, even if it was a tough watch at times.

11 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

First half we were hanging on, and I said at half time that we won’t get away with it if it carried on the same, but my main hope was that they’d be low on confidence because of the run they are on.

Second half they ran out of ideas, but I thought we saw the game out well and it really looked like it mattered to them. Some good performances, notably Norman, but Hogan had his best game for a while (a low bar I know), Yarney continues to impress., and Kitching and Sheron also stood out for me.

I might be in the minority but I also felt quite pleased for Unsworth at the end when he came over and had his ‘moment’ with the fans, and I’m far from a fan of his.

All in all a great result, battling performance and a good day out, even if it was a tough watch at times.

The fact he's come over to the fans and fist pumped must have increased his win % going off previous comments on here

38 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

…….

I bet their expected goals figure was really high...

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

…….

Could it be a case though that we are finding a way to win to get points on the board by being good defensively first. Then after that the next step for us is being better with the ball.

3 months ago we would lost that game 3-4 Nil now we are finding ways to win. The next step will be to be better with the ball but we can't deny we are making progress the facts clearly state that. I'd like to think that next season we will watch a side who will not just be able to win ugly but will be better with the ball.

Guys seriously do some of you not like winning or something. Its as if some of you would have much preferred to see us lose in an entertaining 4-3 yesterday. 

The more expansive football will come in time next season we will watch a better probably more pleasing on the eye side but right now we are digging out the wins a d that's what matters

I enjoyed yesterday, to a degree it's what is required going to a top 4 side and we did a job on them frustrated them and rode our luck, Norman was outstanding and after a couple of poor games by his standards he really stepped up with a series of top class saves, everyone in the back four played well, Hogan still had the mistake in him but was much more assured, Sutton gets turned for pace now and then but he had a tough gig yesterday against a top player. As a unit we defended extremely well and although it's not pretty you'd take it every day of the week.

It needs backing up now with the same intensity and desire, falling below that level now becomes unacceptable to me because it means players are picking and choosing when they want to turn up.

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Guys seriously do some of you not like winning or something. Its as if some of you would have much preferred to see us lose in an entertaining 4-3 yesterday. 

The more expansive football will come in time next season we will watch a better probably more pleasing on the eye side but right now we are digging out the wins a d that's what matters

Daft question.. everbody likes winning it’s just that… 

well, you know 😃

41 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Daft question.. everbody likes winning it’s just that… 

well, you know 😃

We've won, we are pulling away from the relegation zone, we are no longer at civil war and the shitstorms have cleared. 

This, where we are now is not the end game, this is just the beginning things are going to get better and better over the next few years.

Real Progress at anything doesn't come easy you stumble sometimes. We will throw in a couple more Gateshead and Halifax performances between now and the end of the season but if we carry on the 2023 form we are going to have a good finish to the season.

We have lots to be optimistic about. 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think for some they acknowledge some progress it’s just not the right sort of progress. . 👀😂

Joking aside- I do understand it to a degree because we are hard to watch. But the big difference yesterday was it looked liked they really wanted it- and any style is more palatable when the players look really at it- and for 90 minutes, not 15 minute spells. 

29 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We've won, we are pulling away from the relegation zone, we are no longer at civil war and the shitstorms have cleared. 

This, where we are now is not the end game, this is just the beginning things are going to get better and better over the next few years.

Real Progress at anything doesn't come easy you stumble sometimes. We will throw in a couple more Gateshead and Halifax performances between now and the end of the season but if we carry on the 2023 form we are going to have a good finish to the season.

We have lots to be optimistic about. 

I really hate disagreeing with something this positive (the bit in bold) but from what's gone before in recent times I think it's more likely that we'll throw in the odd good performance like Dag & Red 2nd half and yesterday, with the rest being frustratingly poor.

Consecutive wins or consecutive good performances at some point during the rest of the season may change my mind, but I'm still not convinced that this will happen.

Have to take yesterday as a positive, big three points against a half decent side. The thing which has struck me though literally every time I’ve seen us this season, each game has been a struggle, win or lose, it’s felt it could go either way. I can’t recall the last what I would describe as “ comfortable “ performance we’ve had. 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Could it be a case though that we are finding a way to win to get points on the board by being good defensively first. Then after that the next step for us is being better with the ball.

3 months ago we would lost that game 3-4 Nil now we are finding ways to win. The next step will be to be better with the ball but we can't deny we are making progress the facts clearly state that. I'd like to think that next season we will watch a side who will not just be able to win ugly but will be better with the ball.

Think I have warned you before Glossop. Stop talking common sense on here!

42 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I was just thinking how Roger Palmer-esque our goal was. 75% of Roger's goals were just like that.

And some still can't give credit to Nuttall for a great near post run and stepover to take defender away and let in Green for a smart finish.

Good to see Nuttall get a decent reception when he came off. Now that foolish Fondop (the sending off) is back perhaps they can share that thankless task up top, allowing Nuttall to freshen up. 

31 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Have to take yesterday as a positive, big three points against a half decent side. The thing which has struck me though literally every time I’ve seen us this season, each game has been a struggle, win or lose, it’s felt it could go either way. I can’t recall the last what I would describe as “ comfortable “ performance we’ve had. 

Two literally last month...

29 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I really hate disagreeing with something this positive (the bit in bold) but from what's gone before in recent times I think it's more likely that we'll throw in the odd good performance like Dag & Red 2nd half and yesterday, with the rest being frustratingly poor.

Consecutive wins or consecutive good performances at some point during the rest of the season may change my mind, but I'm still not convinced that this will happen.

No one denies the performances are largely indifferent/hard to watch. We can all see it, and I still don’t think we’ll ever see expansive football under him- as I don’t think he’s got it in him. 

But I didn’t think he had this run of results in him, and he’s proved me wrong. . the recent results speak for themselves. 

I think we’ll finish about where we are now, 15/16th - comfortably staying up. 

Is that great- no. 

Does he deserve the chance to keep building- don’t know. 😂

Archived