MATCH: Chesterfield (A) 25/02/23

Looks a bit like a swing and miss, but it wouldn't be that unusual for Nuttall to pull out after hearing a shout from Green.

He immediately turns round to see if his teammate had got there.

Anyway, we scored and it was the matchwinner so doesn't really matter.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well from the highlights I have just watched, it should have been at least 7-1 to Chesterfield. Midfield standing off and full back playing too narrow again, if El Gordo Dumpty Umpty doesn't see it and sort it we will be stuffed.

1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

Looks a bit like a swing and miss, but it wouldn't be that unusual for Nuttall to pull out after hearing a shout from Green.

He immediately turns round to see if his teammate had got there.

Anyway, we scored and it was the matchwinner so doesn't really matter.

But after the goal he walks away as though he felt he should have scored.

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

Well from the highlights I have just watched, it should have been at least 7-1 to Chesterfield. Midfield standing off and full back playing too narrow again, if El Gordo Dumpty Umpty doesn't see it and sort it we will be stuffed.

Let us wallow in the glory a bit longer before the tedium returns ! 🥵

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

But we didn't lose 7-1 did we?

We won. Enjoy it.

2 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

If you don't score you don't win. They didn't, we did. And did.

31 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I don't believe he's capable of doing so.

Oh I'm sure he's capable of enjoying it. It's just that we are progressing now but not everyone is yet seeing it. We keep winning we keep this top 7 form up then eventually everyone will get on board.

Thing that most fans have a problem with is they have little confidence that DU can execute this sort of gameplan 4 or 5 more times this season. It's fraught with risk, as had Chesterfield took a couple of the chances on offer, we'd have likely lost by a comfortable margin and the hostility towards him intensifies.

Dowie used to execute it more than 50% of the time, so supporters haven't got too much of an issue with dour shithousery away from home when you're as consistent as that. We're several players short of being able to do that consistently but I have no problem with these type of tactics at a top-half team if he's able to recruit more.

At the moment Gardner and Chapman need to be changed for a couple of right hard bastards and Tollitt may need to be benched to have a chance of the above.

The issue with a performance like that, even if it was replicated numerous times throughout the season is that it isn’t sustainable, fans won’t want to pay to watch it and it stunts progress of us ever getting back to League 1.

Its far from unreasonable to want to see us play on the front foot, higher up the pitch, winning 50-50s in the middle of the park and players generally playing with confidence. 

We’re not playing with any at the minute. Nuttalls goal vs Notts County was before he had everything sucked out of him. Greens on Saturday will likely be the same and come the end of the season I expect him to be shot to bits.

It's patently clear that, since announcing my boycott because of the poor offerings from DU's side, they have been doing everything possible to entice me back! Never knew I had such influence 🤪

On a serious note, I`m glad we are chalking up some wins/points and I`m happy to credit DU for starting to turn things around. If I stay away for the rest of the season, we'll end up in the play-offs.

I`ll also very happily eat lots of humble pie should DU ever come "good".

Funny old game.

49 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Thing that most fans have a problem with is they have little confidence that DU can execute this sort of gameplan 4 or 5 more times this season

@Frankly Mr Shankly I put myself in this group of supporters, not yet convinced that David Unsworth is the right choice, also unsure if his fully formed vision of Latics will be successful (4-3-3 with his preferred players). Time will tell, he certainly is being given time to build.

Interesting you mention Ben Tollitt, who is now struggling to find form, his creativity snuffed out in the current formation or team shape, which I concede is picking up more points per game in 2023.

How many of the current players feature in the managers preferred plan for next season, I suspect very few, I dont think he rates Mike Fondop at all for instance, a player who is clearly effective at this level.

Scoring our way out of this league is the key, if the summer signings are sufficient in number and quality, perhaps David Unsworth will deliver.

Interesting comment from Stuart Pearce a while ago on some TV pundit thing, he spoke about the correlation of goals scored and points, particularly true further down the leagues.

Notts County and Wrexham are forty odd goals ahead of us, perhaps the route out of non league for us is via the playoff lottery with less goals and a miserly defence, but how many years does this add to the plan.  

1 hour ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

Good to see that the New Zealand branch (or "my lad" as it's more commonly known as) still has confidence in the team

Get him certified straight away !😄

Seriously, well done for having the balls to back his judgement.

I take it he doesn't visit this forum very much. 😉

4 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

Not really. Norman did his job. He's paid to make saves, which he did. CBs were pretty solid. They did their job. They missed a couple of sitters, so they didn't do their job. Result, we won.

You can't just go off number of shots against us to claim we should've lost 7-1. That's a superficial way of understanding the game. Tommy whats-his-face stopped a number of high scoring victories when we've played Chesterfield in the past. We didn't deserve to win because he was brilliant, doing what he was supposed to do. 

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

A bit alarming how many crosses came in, full backs need to get a foot in or at least get closer  instead of continually standing off. Very easy for wingers to cross unchallenged.

You'd think our elite coaches would notice and do something about it ?

3 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

I don't believe he's capable of doing so.

Don't talk bollocks of course I enjoyed the win, I never said I didn't. I just don't think that the way the team is set up, the tactics employed, the lack of entertaining football is pleasing the fans too much. You only have to look at all the moans and groans on here, yes me included. Another win tomorrow night please.

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You'd think our elite coaches would notice and do something about it ?

I can't remember if it was Lee Johnson or Paul Dickov, but one of them once said he wasn't too fussed about full backs stopping crosses cos he trusted his centre backs to head them away...

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Not really. Norman did his job. He's paid to make saves, which he did. CBs were pretty solid. They did their job. They missed a couple of sitters, so they didn't do their job. Result, we won.

You can't just go off number of shots against us to claim we should've lost 7-1. That's a superficial way of understanding the game. Tommy whats-his-face stopped a number of high scoring victories when we've played Chesterfield in the past. We didn't deserve to win because he was brilliant, doing what he was supposed to do. 

You can only rely on the opposition missing sitters and your keeper performing heroics every week for so long. 

We do it every week...

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

The nemesis of Latics strikers, Tommy Lee.

Archived