MATCH: Chesterfield (A) 25/02/23

9 minutes ago, daniel said:

Agree with this. 1 thing that struck me today at FT was the squad’s togetherness and what appeared to be their delight and relationships with DU, it felt like the squad very much are playing for him. May be over reading things after an away win at 4th in the league, but I did pick up on that. 

You'd think it would be the opposite considering he's arrogant, aloof, entitled, lacking in self awareness and making them play way below their capabilities.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, daniel said:

Agree with this. 1 thing that struck me today at FT was the squad’s togetherness and what appeared to be their delight and relationships with DU, it felt like the squad very much are playing for him. May be over reading things after an away win at 4th in the league, but I did pick up on that. 

You'd think it would be the opposite considering he's arrogant, aloof, entitled, lacking in self awareness and making them play way below their capabilities.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What is it with you and the double/triple post's recently? Something to do with your yellow card or just excited with our progress?

21 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We scored early on and then stunk the place out for 75 minutes - which I don't particularly mind when we do it away to a playoff side. Hogan, Kitching and Norman were superb. Fondop did more in his first 5 minutes than Nuttall did in the 65 he was on the pitch...

Precisely, there is a time and a place for being solid and working as a unit, I just wish when we play the Gateshead's and Halifax's we were a bit more pro active, if we had gone 1 down early on today I reckon it could have turned nasty. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

We still can’t pass a ball. 

We offer very little going forward. 

It’s very hard to enjoy as a spectacle. 

BUT. 

The massive difference today was everybody put in a shift in, and we defended superbly. Real bodies on the line stuff. In fact-  that is probably the only game in his tenure where all the players gave a 90 minute performance of effort. 

If he could get that level of effort and desire out of them every week, then even his ultra defensive style can get results. As is now being proved. 

All putting in a shift is what fans wanted to see for starters.

Next add more  attacking play and don't let standards slip again.

One of the things I hate about social media generally is the number of people who insist on  nailing their colours to a mast - and then deny any fact that suggests they might possibly be wrong. 

I've also noticed that people in this frame of mind are quite happy to label wins as "lucky". They rarely label defeats as "unlucky" though, because  defeats are grist to the mill. 

I'm glad that your manager is finding a way to get results. Scunthorpe would love to be able to do the same. He's having to learn quickly in a very unforgiving environment, which I'm surprised more people don't acknowledge. Before Christmas I thought you might struggle to find four teams to finish below you. I think there are seven or eight now. I know I'm an outsider, but I think you are finally arresting the slide and starting to look like you are coming to terms with where you are - whether it is ugly to watch or not.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Does Nuttall even want to be a footballer.

He literally had to stand on the half way line and just try and win what he could. It was beyond not having service- there was literally no one up or around him for the vast majority of time. 

But- Fondop held it up better in 20 minutes than Nuttall did in 70. 

3 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

One of the things I hate about social media generally is the number of people who insist on  nailing their colours to a mast - and then deny any fact that suggests they might possibly be wrong. 

I've also noticed that people in this frame of mind are quite happy to label wins as "lucky". They rarely label defeats as "unlucky" though, because  defeats are grist to the mill. 

I'm glad that your manager is finding a way to get results. Scunthorpe would love to be able to do the same. He's having to learn quickly in a very unforgiving environment, which I'm surprised more people don't acknowledge. Before Christmas I thought you might struggle to find four teams to finish below you. I think there are seven or eight now. I know I'm an outsider, but I think you are finally arresting the slide and starting to look like you are coming to terms with where you are - whether it is ugly to watch or not.

Amen to that.

I wanted him out because the performances and results were so poor. Since new year the results have improved and you can’t deny him that or say 5 wins in ten is luck. 

10 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Not just on social media - stubbornness has been a human trait since day dot..

Wins have been lucky and defeats haven't been unlucky - it is what it is.

We've got enough to stay up - Unsworth's been backed by the board.  We're grateful we're not Scunthorpe.  Learning quickly is part of the gig.  Expectations weren't that high this season - we just wanted a team to be excited and optimistic about.  Even with the recent "run", I'd say progress is inconclusive...but today was probably our best result under him.

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Does Nuttall even want to be a footballer.

He was the weak link today and should have done better when put through on goal only for their defender to get to the ball first.Our defence was excellentand Id like to see Reid and Fondup up front but Unsworth  has many players now thanks to Frank and it was nice to see Frank wave to our supporters. 

32 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He literally had to stand on the half way line and just try and win what he could. It was beyond not having service- there was literally no one up or around him for the vast majority of time. 

But- Fondop held it up better in 20 minutes than Nuttall did in 70. 

Fondop offers more than than Nuttall.

Works harder, instinctive finisher...him and Reid up front should be our first choice pairing.

After watching the paint dry, it was a pleasant surprise to check results and see Latics had won. No idea what the performance was like but, naturally, there will be a plethora of opinions and tweets on that. I literally had us down as no hope in hell of getting even a point so, a win is noting short of a footballing miracle.

I watched the Dags vs Notts game and was suitably impressed by the quality of Notts County, although they lost to a late Effiong goal in front of a 7,500 crowd. Justice is sweet after all.

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

He was the weak link today and should have done better when put through on goal only for their defender to get to the ball first.Our defence was excellentand Id like to see Reid and Fondup up front but Unsworth  has many players now thanks to Frank and it was nice to see Frank wave to our supporters. 

Fluffed his lines completely in the 6th minute.

Which is just as well as Oooh Devann Green ghosted in at the back post.

Archived