MATCH: Chesterfield (A) 25/02/23

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GKing521 said:

I can't complain too much about the result but that style of football is just not sustainable if we ever have aspirations of achieving anything. 

yeah great win, improved performance and defended well but god they are a tough watch. Hope once safe we start to see more work on our attacking play 

Right. A few thoughts. 

We got the goal and bar the odd half chance defended for 80 minutes. 

BUT. 

We defended superbly. Bodies on line and full commitment from the players. (Any thoughts of him losing the dressing room can be quashed after that.) 

Sutton is a cut above and won’t be here long. 

His tactics are very dull, we hardly pass the ball. But it’s a win playing ugly- again. Against one of the sides this style wasn’t supposed to be sustainable against. . .

I guess 2 losses in 10 is still just luck. . 

3 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

yeah great win, improved performance and defended well but god they are a tough watch. Hope once safe we start to see more work on our attacking play 

Yep, it’s a really hard watch- there’s absolutely no doubt it.

But we need to get used to it, because this is his style, and they aren’t sacking a manager with two losses in ten. 

Most importantly it's a great win.

Again it sounded like we invited pressure on ourselves from the moment we scored until full time, but credit to the team (and especially Norman by the sounds of it) for holding out.

After Tuesday night's horror show I can't help but think "4 wins now needed for safety from 14 games" because of how bad performances have been.  But this feels different from so many League One seasons in the 2010's when this was the norm due to the lack of realistic potential to push higher. 

We really should be doing better than a relegation scrap for the rest of the season and that needs to be the message to Unsworth and the players.  Limping through to the end of the season without consistent positive performances needs to be a sackable offence for Unsworth.  If the culture and attitude of the players isn't good enough between now and the end of the season then a squad clearout should be done too (something I'm not generally a fan of).

We've been so desperate this season for a result like this to kickstart our change in fortunes and it just hasn't happened since Frank and the Royle's took over, I sincerely hope this is it despite so far not being at all convinced by Unsworth's ability to take us up the league.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why is the match thread so quiet when we win??  

It’s almost like people can’t put aside their feelings for Unsy and just celebrate the win. 

I like to think people are getting out on the ale but some may actually be just fed up.  😐

Archived