MATCH: Altrincham (H) 07/04/23

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Pegged back to 2-2 but with 6 mins to play v 10 men, why didn’t Unsworth sub on Tollitt for a defensive player / Shelton / Sheron. He might have produced a bit of magic and won us the game…

Or we could have still drawn and imagine the comments then on game management taking a defensive player off when trying to see out a win etc etc

10 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Not the players fault then? Wow. Shouldn't need a substitution to hold onto a win against 10 men ffs.

Yes it was their fault but he never stirs things up. A sub at that point would have made them think a bit more. Instead we allowed Alty to carry on playing same as and ultimately they won. As I say we are just so predictable.

26 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Why didn't he make a sub immediately after their player was sent off? He never changes anything to pose the opposition a few problems. They have us worked out every match but .he is so rigid and predictable.We should have won today by a mile.Lose at Scunny and I'm really gonna worry.D.U is clueless. 

This is what frustrates me, we are so generic and rigid in style and the absolute lack of any urgency or flow to our attacking moves is unreal. Cantering forward, stop, nothing on, push it back, canter forward again , meanwhile the opposition are back and ready for us. Then the minute the opposition score it’s panic mode, guaranteed to put the opposition tails up. They smell the fear in us. 
These things I’ve seen over and over again and they need addressing. 

2 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Bossed them for 80 mins. A good positive performance.

their first shot , Magnus a bit slow, and it’s 2-1. But we didn’t sit back - lazy to jump to that conclusion. 
Their second goal from a corner l looked like poor marking but ther forwards had had nothing all afternoon 

Reid was never going to last 90 mins but looked sharp, and good game from Nuttall till he picked up a knock 

I know it won’t suit the narrative of some people but that wasn’t bad today by any stretch of the imagination 

I wouldn't sat we bossed it at all had we won I would have been satisfied but we don't have anyone who can put his foot on the ball in the middle of the pitch and bring people into play and get us passing the ball and controlling the game if you are 2-0 up at home with 10 to go against 10 man all you have to do is keep the ball make sensible decisions and 3 points are in the bag but we kept giving the ball away. After a right back the next most obvious position to fill in the summer is a proper number 8 a player who for this level atleast can be a Sheridan a Wellens a Dale Stephens who can control the middle of the pitch help us build through the 3rds feed the wingers and full backs and create chances for the forwards. We do that we start managing games better and games like today turn into 3 points.

12 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Yes it was their fault but he never stirs things up. A sub at that point would have made them think a bit more. Instead we allowed Alty to carry on playing same as and ultimately they won. As I say we are just so predictable.

We were in control atthat point? Why shake it up when they've not had a shot on goal?

12 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We were in control atthat point? Why shake it up when they've not had a shot on goal?

Thats exactly what DU thought and why we drew.Sometimes you have to think outside the box something he never does. 

I cannot wait for the season to end… I have seen them play live and on NL TV over thirty times this season and it has been mind numbing for the most part. The standard of football and tactical approach has been beyond shocking .

Today was yet another woeful attempt to win a football game.

Of the current squad I’d keep Norman, Yarney and Nuttall. That’s it.

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I cannot wait for the season to end… I have seen them play live and on NL TV over thirty times this season and it has been mind numbing for the most part. The standard of football and tactical approach has been beyond shocking .

Today was yet another woeful attempt to win a football game.

Of the current squad I’d keep Norman, Yarney and Nuttall. That’s it.

And Reid and Green.

I wouldn't mind if this was a one off bad day at the office but it's not.

This season has never really got going for me and I can't wait for the final game which coincidentally  against yet another team who has given us a spanking.

The person I really feel sorry for,apart from our fans is Frank who must feel let down after all his investment.

Poor signings poor tactics clueless team selections and substitutions, shambolic play in all areas. Unsworth and his team should hold their heads in shame

There is a post about team shirt colours.Personally I'm not bothered since most don't deserve to wear the shirts apart from a few players who have shown some passion.

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Or we could have still drawn and imagine the comments then on game management taking a defensive player off when trying to see out a win etc etc

I was talking about at 2-2 not 2-0 up. Make the attacking sub and try and grab the win back again.

11 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

This season has been poor, really poor and frankly I find it very hard to believe Unsworth is the man to turn us into a team that can challenge but I guess we will find out starting in August as he is clearly not going anywhere 

I  would love Unsworth to prove me and most Latics fans wrong but sadly I have no confidence  in him at all.

Frank ,our saviour,deserves better.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wouldn't sat we bossed it at all had we won I would have been satisfied but we don't have anyone who can put his foot on the ball in the middle of the pitch and bring people into play and get us passing the ball and controlling the game if you are 2-0 up at home with 10 to go against 10 man all you have to do is keep the ball make sensible decisions and 3 points are in the bag but we kept giving the ball away. After a right back the next most obvious position to fill in the summer is a proper number 8 a player who for this level atleast can be a Sheridan a Wellens a Dale Stephens who can control the middle of the pitch help us build through the 3rds feed the wingers and full backs and create chances for the forwards. We do that we start managing games better and games like today turn into 3 points.

Exactly. The no 20 for Wrexham last week, Matty Palmer, Conteh for Gateshead, that’s the type of player we need. Someone to play through, who knits it all together and grabs control of a game. There’s others out there, get the right one in a build around him.

31 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

I  would love Unsworth to prove me and most Latics fans wrong but sadly I have no confidence  in him at all.

Frank ,our saviour,deserves better.

Same here. People talk about "narratives" or "agendas" as if there's Latics fans who want him to fail. I would love it if he turned it around, but absolutely nothing during his tenure has suggested to me he will. Quite the opposite actually, i think he's a dreadful manager.

13 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Same here. People talk about "narratives" or "agendas" as if there's Latics fans who want him to fail. I would love it if he turned it around, but absolutely nothing during his tenure has suggested to me he will. Quite the opposite actually, i think he's a dreadful manager.

Agreed. Shez got us 11 points from the first 9 games with his cobbled together squad of scraps. That averages out over a season as 56 points.

Unsworth comes in with his full on back room team and money to improve the squad. Will he get us to that 56 point mark that Shez was averaging at? Perhaps. Made very hard work of it though.

When’s Mick Rathbone’s sport psychology expertise gonna kick in with the squads winning mentality - hopefully next season…

Unsworth is going nowhere whilst his mate is the CEO. Next season we might be marginally better but we are a million miles off being a promotion team. I'm afraid we will be stuck in non-league for sometime and will only get harder because we lose payments from the EFL after next season and ticket sales will drop watching this dross

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Unsworth is going nowhere whilst his mate is the CEO. Next season we might be marginally better but we are a million miles off being a promotion team. I'm afraid we will be stuck in non-leagu e for sometime and will only get harder because we lose payments from the EFL after next season and ticket sales will drop watching this dross

Couldnt agree more. 

I don't want changes in managers. Frizzell and Royle the first two managers lasted for over 20 years and I loved them for the passion and work they did but Unsworth  is not the one and never will be imo. He is useless and not once has he blamed himself when we lose.Please Frank get shut.If Unsworth had any guts he would have gone and not relied on his daft 3 year contract  .

8 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Exactly. The no 20 for Wrexham last week, Matty Palmer, Conteh for Gateshead, that’s the type of player we need. Someone to play through, who knits it all together and grabs control of a game. There’s others out there, get the right one in a build around him.

We have Rooney. We need to bring a left winger in then he's in the middle. He'll do that

8 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

This season has been poor, really poor and frankly I find it very hard to believe Unsworth is the man to turn us into a team that can challenge but I guess we will find out starting in August as he is clearly not going anywhere 

8 hours ago, Flemboy said:

8 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

This captures it for me too.

I cling to the hope that with better players at the club, we will play a far more entertaining style of football that brings success. I hope that Unsworth has learned lessons from his inaugural season in managing a National League team.

Yesterday was yet again more evidence to me that, so far, Unsworth has not really got it. 

Altrincham looked a bang average side and yet, for long periods, our play was dull and uninspiring. I have yet to see the statistics from yesterday but I cannot remember too many clear cut chances created - particularly in the second half.

Our game management continues to be atrocious. 

It is evident that Rhinoball has us playing narrow and safety first football. That could explain why we drop deep and ask players like Green to ‘tuck in’ as the game progresses. Green had beaten his fullback with ease in the first half but we rarely saw him used as an outlet in the second.

And there was one incident when we had given the ball away to an Altrincham player and our midfielders were more concerned about getting back into shape than one of them actually closing down the player down. 

At 2-0 up against ten men the game should have been ours. And yet…

Unsworth will be our manager at the start of next season but if the performances do not improve then many more will be calling for him to go.

The board continues to back the management and we all expect this to continue with better players arriving in the close season. 
This loyalty is to be praised but things have to improve next season or patience will surely start to wear thin.

10 hours ago, JoeP said:

And Sheron, actually.  And Norman.  And Sutton.

It's almost as if the players aren't actually that bad...

True, but many of these have been  part and parcel of a good number of capitulations through the season. 

Archived