MATCH: Altrincham (H) 07/04/23

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should be safe now but God we’ve tried so very hard to blow it!

Two totally unexpected wins at Chesterfield & Barnet are the results that will probably have saved our skins.

In my opinion we have been extremely fortunate to have avoided the drop and looking at the remaining fixtures I’m glad we don’t need a few more points!!

In a proper dogfight like last season this side would have been nowhere near good enough!

1 hour ago, Andyt84 said:

Pathetic in the last 10 minutes.  Could see it coming a mile away.  Not helped by the ref with the silly free kicks all the time but still not defending set pieces properly. 

According to Unsworth pre Wrexham were top of the league at defending set pieces didn’t you know!😂

Bossed them for 80 mins. A good positive performance.

their first shot , Magnus a bit slow, and it’s 2-1. But we didn’t sit back - lazy to jump to that conclusion. 
Their second goal from a corner l looked like poor marking but ther forwards had had nothing all afternoon 

Reid was never going to last 90 mins but looked sharp, and good game from Nuttall till he picked up a knock 

I know it won’t suit the narrative of some people but that wasn’t bad today by any stretch of the imagination 

3 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

their first shot , Magnus a bit slow, and it’s 2-1. But we didn’t sit back - lazy to jump to that conclusion. 
Their second goal from a corner l looked like poor marking but ther forwards had had nothing all afternoon 

Reid was never going to last 90 mins but looked sharp, and good game from Nuttall till he picked up a knock 

I know it won’t suit the narrative of some people but that wasn’t bad today by any stretch of the imagination 

Why does everything have to be a "narrative". Losing a 2 goal lead, at home to ten man Altrincham is unacceptable, no matter the circumstances 

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Why does everything have to be a "narrative". Losing a 2 goal lead, at home to ten man Altrincham is unacceptable, no matter the circumstances 

It is unacceptable but these things happen in football. We didn't deserve a point. We deserved 3. At Chesterfield we didn't deserve 3 but got them.

Also that Linney was awful. No comments about how we should have signed him anymore @yarddog73 and @BP1960?

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

The thing is this, Pete. We are talking about bloody Altrincham here. An absolute nothing of a team - and yet they have taken 4 points off "Unsworth teams" this season; with our performance at their place being an absolute disgrace. Today, we throw away a 2 goal lead with minutes to go. Shocking and just another illustration of Unsworth being a poor manager. I cannot understand anyone backing him anymore in the face of substantial evidence that he's just not what is required.

Just now, League one forever said:

One for the statto’s. 

How many times have we dropped points from winning positions this season ? 

Today feels like a lot of games where we have been winning and thrown points away- but I’m not sure If that is backed up by the stats. 

Today, Solihull, Gateshead?

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

One for the statto’s. 

How many times have we dropped points from winning positions this season ? 

Today feels like a lot of games where we have been winning and thrown points away- but I’m not sure If that is backed up by the stats. 

We have conceded 13 goals at home in the last 15 minutes which is very poor.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It is unacceptable but these things happen in football. We didn't deserve a point. We deserved 3. At Chesterfield we didn't deserve 3 but got them.

Also that Linney was awful. No comments about how we should have signed him anymore @yarddog73 and @BP1960?

6 in 14 and in about 800 minutes of football for Alty, come back when you've got Nuttalls figures for us but I'll give it you he was gash today.

Altrincham away was the worst Latics performance I had ever witnessed to date (since 1980).

Today was significantly better, I quite enjoyed the afternoon till the last ten minutes, then we frustratingly reverted to type.

Devarn Green was lively and effective in the first half, we didn't have any creativity on the left.

The forward line worked hard today, Joe Nuttall seems more relaxed and confident, while Alex Reid is clearly our best striker, promising goals if he gets decent service.

The manager picked our strongest eleven, of the players available in my opinion, I was pleased to see Magnus Norman back in and Ben Tollitt at least on the bench.

Failure to take three points is fuelling the Twitter tirade against the manager but the players need to feel responsible today.

I believe David Unsworth will request replacements for six or seven positions, possibly more, testing the support and resolve of the board to sponsor his vision.

One thing I did notice and would call out as progress is the communication between players, clearly more vocal and demanding of each other. Leave aside what they said and how effective it was ... this is something Shez found exasperating, no characters, no leaders.

Seem to have a handful of players trying to take responsibility.

Joe Nuttall was very animated and vocal, didn't seem arrogant, just pointing and challenging the midfield to find the right pass.

Good to see, but I still left the ground frustrated, accepting that I need to endure this 'process' for a good while yet.

Summer transfers in and out will do for David Unsworth, a poor start next season will bring almighty pressure.

7 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Today, Solihull, Gateshead?

Ah ok. 

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We have conceded 13 goals at home in the last 15 minutes which is very poor.

Yeah I think that’s what I was thinking of, rather than winning positions. We seem to have dropped a fair few points conceding late on. 

26 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

The thing is this, Pete. We are talking about bloody Altrincham here. An absolute nothing of a team - and yet they have taken 4 points off "Unsworth teams" this season; with our performance at their place being an absolute disgrace. Today, we throw away a 2 goal lead with minutes to go. Shocking and just another illustration of Unsworth being a poor manager. I cannot understand anyone backing him anymore in the face of substantial evidence that he's just not what is required.

Why didn't he make a sub immediately after their player was sent off? He never changes anything to pose the opposition a few problems. They have us worked out every match but .he is so rigid and predictable.We should have won today by a mile.Lose at Scunny and I'm really gonna worry.D.U is clueless. 

1 minute ago, diggleblue said:

Why didn't he make a sub immediately after their player was sent off? He never changes anything to pose the opposition a few problems. They have us worked out every match but .he is so rigid and predictable.We should have won today by a mile.Lose at Scunny and I'm really gonna worry.D.U is clueless. 

He brought the terribly rusty Hope on (albeit after they'd pulled it back to 2-1). Though Tollitt might have been the better option, as Nuttall was struggling with cramp.

16 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Not the players fault then? Wow. Shouldn't need a substitution to hold onto a win against 10 men ffs.

Archived