Retained list

35 minutes ago, Lags said:

How much and to what cost will the commonly thought surplus players we need to shift out hamper the promotion push?.

I think it will cost 2 or 3 stand out players not arriving. DU must play the loan market wisely.

I don't think we can or for that matter should pay then off in full that's going to be a 6 figure sum I think we should try, and we probably will, find them a club either through a loan or permanent and possibly aim to meet any shortfall in wages. Or just keep them about until they find a new club.

The squad right now probably only needs a really good right back and it's good to go to challenge for promotion so I don't think we should get too hung up on the surplus players.

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't think we can or for that matter should pay then off in full that's going to be a 6 figure sum I think we should try, and we probably will, find them a club either through a loan or permanent and possibly aim to meet any shortfall in wages. Or just keep them about until they find a new club.

The squad right now probably only needs a really good right back and it's good to go to challenge for promotion so I don't think we should get too hung up on the surplus players.

Not sure why anyone gets hung up about the players who clearly aren't going to feature.  They're entitled to stay and we may be able to offload them but either way it's going to cost and there's not much we can do about it.  It's the last remaining legacy of the previous regime.  With players such as Windass the prospect of him finding a full time professional club when we're the only one he's ever been with and he didn't get close to the first team must be close to zero - maybe we can find him a job as a labourer and make up the difference.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Not sure why anyone gets hung up about the players who clearly aren't going to feature.  They're entitled to stay and we may be able to offload them but either way it's going to cost and there's not much we can do about it.  It's the last remaining legacy of the previous regime.  With players such as Windass the prospect of him finding a full time professional club when we're the only one he's ever been with and he didn't get close to the first team must be close to zero - maybe we can find him a job as a labourer and make up the difference.

labourers get more than division five reserve players

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Would a year's loan for Rooney bring him to the end of his contract?

His contract was for 2 yrs with an option for another year but that will obviously not be taken up now.

So yes I would think so?

2 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Rooney will be gone if his agent plays ball. If he doesn’t it’s because his agent will have scuppered the deal 

I can’t see Rooney wanting to sit out a full season regardless of what his agent advises. A loan deal is most likely because of the wages he’ll be on of which we will probably be paying a percentage.

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I can’t see Rooney wanting to sit out a full season regardless of what his agent advises. A loan deal is most likely because of the wages he’ll be on of which we will probably be paying a percentage.

His agent wants a pay-off from Oldham. The % has been agreed between the clubs. If the agent drops his demand then the move is a go.

if he doesn’t Rooney stays where he is 

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Something not right about a player of his age and ability who's never stayed anywhere for more than a couple of years

I think it’s fair to say, he’s a bit of a dick isn’t he ?

He got hooked at half time a few games before the season. Was moaning when being subbed ect. 
To be fair to him, he did a relatively good job on the left wing, and seemed to work hard for the type of player he is. 

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Rooney, Leutwiler, Burgess and Windass could have all moved on by the end of the week, with Leutweiler on the verge of a move to Port Vale.

Any potential misgivings about Rooney aside that would be really good business.

. . . as back up to Conor Ripley!

23 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

His agent wants a pay-off from Oldham. The % has been agreed between the clubs. If the agent drops his demand then the move is a go.

if he doesn’t Rooney stays where he is  

A pay up for what? Doesn't make sense.

He's being loaned out so will get his wages in one form or another. He's not released from his contract.

10 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

He's being loaned out so will get his wages in one form or another. He's not released from his contract.

Probably greed. Gets a full pay out from us (or somewhere in that ball figure) and then goes and earns a new wage at a new club, in theory possibly earning double for the next year. Obviously those numbers won’t be concrete as I presume Macc wouldn’t offer wages we can, but they’re still a club with money and he’d be on good money there too. I’m sure we’re also not playing ball with this either, which is maybe where the delay is. 

41 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

l think you are getting two of the potential ways that he could move there confused into one

On 6/29/2023 at 9:20 AM, LaticsLegend said:

God knows but that’s what I was told. Macc have offered 60% and we’ve accepted that part

On 6/29/2023 at 9:20 AM, LaticsLegend said:

I’m guessing (as I’ve no idea) that Macc want to sign him but can’t afford what we pay him, we want him gone, so he wants a pay off to make up the shortfall. 
A loan looks the way round it, but nothing is agreed hence no announcement.