Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

4 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Supporters negativity will only disappear once we have something to finally celebrate.  We have a bitter fanbase but for good reason.  

It's usually people who were fortunate enough to remember the glory years who don't understand this.

Try being under 40!!

I'm under 40...

7 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Supporters negativity will only disappear once we have something to finally celebrate.  We have a bitter fanbase but for good reason.  

It's usually people who were fortunate enough to remember the glory years who don't understand this.

Try being under 40!!

Some of us under 40 are old enough to have been watching Latics for a year before we beat Scarborough 7-0. 

• Like 1

Before our golden years under Joe, we weren't exactly knocking on the door of Division One or having great cup runs. It wasn't always a struggle in the old Division Two, but it was often 'challenging.'

That said, we did spend over 20 years in the top two divisions, so, yes, what came next was totally shit. 

I'd love to even remember being under 40...apart from the football. I'll never forget that...

5 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Before our golden years under Joe, we weren't exactly knocking on the door of Division One or having great cup runs. It wasn't always a struggle in the old Division Two, but it was often 'challenging.'

That said, we did spend over 20 years in the top two divisions, so, yes, what came next was totally shit. 

I'd love to even remember being under 40...apart from the football. I'll never forget that...

it's also pretty mad to think that Joe took over what would in modern parlance be described as a 'stable championship  club' it has been a quite ridiculous decline really.

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

it's also pretty mad to think that Joe took over what would in modern parlance be described as a 'stable championship  club' it has been a quite ridiculous decline really.

At the time , mid 1970s onwards, we/I  thought we were a small town club, happy with the odd cup run, and  first division opponents, eg Spurs. Looking back we didn't appreciate I guess the relative stability. 

even when Joe came in, it took a few  seasons to get the recruitment strategy,  the tactics and the playing surface all combining together .

Let's hope this season starts the 'dare to dream' times off again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

I started going mid eighties around the same time Joe came in, despite out League status we were only getting about 4000 through the gate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I started going mid eighties around the same time Joe came in, despite out League status we were only getting about 4000 through the gate.

clearly the town had become disillusioned with being a stable championship club!!

like when stoke got bored of finishing 8th in the prem

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

clearly the town had become disillusioned with being a stable championship club!!

We have always had a fickle fanbase.  Such as when we lost a third of our home support from the last game in the top flight to the first game in the 2nd tier in 94. 

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I seem to recall being one of less than 4000 for JR's first game against Shrewsbury. The game was dire from start to finish even though we won.

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Stable in terms of league position but never really financially stable

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

6 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

We have always had a fickle fanbase.  Such as when we lost a third of our home support from the last game in the top flight to the first game in the 2nd tier in 94. 

Is fickle really the right word?

I don't think we're any different than most, if not all, clubs in the regard that we have fans who only want to go when it's good.

Each to their own. I get it and sometimes wish I could be like it. 😉

There'll always be us 3,000-4,000 or so who'll go no matter what.

That'll double, or close to double, if we're gunning for promotion in this league and the two leagues above.

Who knows what we could pull in the Championship/top flight nowadays?  

Thank you though for the first correct use of the word "fanbase" that I've seen in a long, long time..... 👍

Edited by HarryBosch
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

I seem to recall being one of less than 4000 for JR's first game against Shrewsbury. The game was dire from start to finish even though we won.

I remember beating Watford in front of about 3,000 in 1988.

We'd been on a very poor run and it was cold and bleak.

These were the days when the club would only sometimes blag the attendance in a downward direction for the taxman rather than this bizarre recent practice of pretending more were in....

9 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I remember beating Watford in front of about 3,000 in 1988.

We'd been on a very poor run and it was cold and bleak.

These were the days when the club would only sometimes blag the attendance in a downward direction for the taxman rather than this bizarre recent practice of pretending more were in....

4th Feb 1989. 3-1, in front of 6,364. Our first win after a run of 15 without victory. We lost at home to City the previous home game, lost 4-3 at Barnsley the week before, and got knocked out of 3 cups in that spell. The first match in that run was a 1-1 draw at Goodison mind...

4 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

4th Feb 1989. 3-1, in front of 6,364. Our first win after a run of 15 without victory. We lost at home to City the previous home game, lost 4-3 at Barnsley the week before, and got knocked out of 3 cups in that spell. The first match in that run was a 1-1 draw at Goodison mind...

Or it might have been Walsall in front of 5,760.

Either way, there were never more than 3,000 in.....😃

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Or it might have been Walsall in front of 5,760.

Either way, there were never more than 3,000 in.....😃

In the same season didn't United get a crowd of 18K for one of their league games?  It might of been just football in general.