Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

5 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Its baffling that people think Frank is making the call on "shifting players out before bringing any in"

Surely this is actually a Darren Royle call, who will be working to a pre-approved budget. 

it also may not be true

4 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Its baffling that people think Frank is making the call on "shifting players out before bringing any in"

Surely this is actually a Darren Royle call, who will be working to a pre-approved budget. 

When they say Frank I take it as 'the club' because it will I assume be a joint decision albeit that the owners will have a major say. I suppose what I'm saying is it doesn't really matter......

6 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Not really. It's his money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Conn Clarke ripped us a new one last season and will do this season.

Colclough is the best player in the league but for some reason they’ve moved him from left wing.

Yeah, managers moving players around to where they think they may get the best result-OK for Cook but our manager gets pelters.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

By people who don't understand how to handle the media. Look at how Klopp and Guardiola were doing it a couple of years ago saying the other team were favourites he's trying to protect his players they are under enough pressure to get promoted as it is. If he comes out and says we should be winning the league then he gives a stick for people to beat him with.

They've already got a plentiful supply !!   😀

Whose funding all this then? If it's the Rothwells then fair enough but to me this all seems a bit shit or bust, I know it's not my money but this just seems unsustainable to me. I was told Norwood was on 8k a week and scoffed at it but it turns out it may well be the true. No wonder they've got to shift a few, I know some of those not even figuring are on nice amounts Reid for one, whose gonna take them on inflated wages?

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/article/25999/barnsley-fc-board-on-various-issues

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Whose funding all this then? If it's the Rothwells then fair enough but to me this all seems a bit shit or bust, I know it's not my money but this just seems unsustainable to me. I was told Norwood was on 8k a week and scoffed at it but it turns out it may well be the true. No wonder they've got to shift a few, I know some of those not even figuring are on nice amounts Reid for one, whose gonna take them on inflated wages?

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/article/25999/barnsley-fc-board-on-various-issues

Im not worried about it in the slightest, there is enough sensible and intelligent people sat on that board to manage our finances within budget. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He's fretting again...

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Im not worried about it in the slightest, there is enough sensible and intelligent people sat on that board to manage our finances within budget. 

You think we are working within budget and becoming this sustainable club we've been promised?.

I don't and the money being wasted is eye watering. It would be interesting to know how this is being funded given it appears Norwood is on the best part of million pounds over his two year contract, that's before you stick the transfer fee on. That's 4000 season tickets at £200 and more to finance one players wages.

Sensible and intelligent are words seldom used when it's referred to running football clubs.

When we were a League 1 club we survived on a budget of around £1.5 million and that was the whole clubs wage bill, we now have a situation where one man is picking up a third of that with no solidarity payments which were relied on heavily in years gone by, sorry but that is obscene.

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You think we are working within budget and becoming this sustainable club we've been promised?.

I don't and the money being wasted is eye watering. It would be interesting to know how this is being funded given it appears Norwood is on the best part of million pounds over his two year contract, that's before you stick the transfer fee on. That's 4000 season tickets at £200 and more to finance one players wages.

Sensible and intelligent are words seldom used when it's referred to running football clubs.

When we were a League 1 club we survived on a budget of around £1.5 million and that was the whole clubs wage bill, we now have a situation where one man is picking up a third of that with no solidarity payments which were relied on heavily in years gone by, sorry but that is obscene.

The pain is over now Faz, Simon Corney isn't here anymore...

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I’m not sure what point you’re making?

If you are saying we are spending the budget unwisely at times -  then I can see your point to a degree. But that still doesn’t mean we can’t afford it- it just means having players like Reid on good money when he hardly plays could have better spent on a ball playing midfielder. Also no budget in the history of football is ever spent perfectly. 

If you are saying you are doubting the acumen of the board to such extent that you are worried about our future 12 months into their reign. Then I massively disagree for three reasons- one, we have no idea what people are actually on. Secondly we don’t know the profit/loss for the year yet. Thirdly it implies Frank and his children are naive as fuck, and just keep blindly signing cheques because Joe and Darren say it will all be ok- which I think is nonsense. 

I think we are seeing an Owner ready to put his money where his mouth is initially, because the overall to make us competitive was massive. Things will calm down over the next couple of years as off field really ramps up- and the need to sign 8/9 in the summer lessens.

Remember that time we all wanted longer contracts for players and to build something- well this is what it looks like. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not sure what point you’re making?

If you are saying we are spending the budget unwisely at times -  then I can see your point to a degree. But that still doesn’t mean we can’t afford it- it just means having players like Reid on good money when he hardly plays could have better spent on a ball playing midfielder. Also no budget in the history of football is ever spent perfectly. 

If you are saying you are doubting the acumen of the board to such extent that you are worried about our future 12 months into their reign. Then I massively disagree for three reasons- one, we have no idea what people are actually on. Secondly we don’t know the profit/loss for the year yet. Thirdly it implies Frank and his children are naive as fuck, and just keep blindly signing cheques because Joe and Darren say it will all be ok- which I think is nonsense. 

I think we are seeing an Owner ready to put his money where his mouth is initially, because the overall to make us competitive was massive. Things will calm down over the next couple of years as off field really ramps up- and the need to sign 8/9 in the summer lessens.

Remember that time we all wanted longer contracts for players and to build something- well this is what it looks like. 

yes a few of us are struggling with it if we are being honest!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He's fretting again...

But gates have increased to over 7,000, probably twice as many as at some of our Division One games when we were likely paying the whole squad EFL wages.

Hospitality is also reaping dividends and daily car park revenue from hospital staff/ visitors must be substantial.

Throw in the club owned shop and income looks a lot healthier than when we were in the football league.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

But gates have increased to over 7,000, probably twice as many as at some of our Division One games when we were likely paying the whole squad EFL wages.

Hospitality is also reaping dividends and daily car park revenue from hospital staff/ visitors must be substantial.

Throw in the club owned shop and income looks a lot healthier than when we were in the football league.

seeeee you can do it

Why are people so stressed about our budget ?

The plan is to be self sustainable, but that’s the long term plan. They have stated the need for immediate investment into the playing side to hopefully take us through the leagues. I’m sure when we are in league 1 the plan will then to be self sustainable. 

We are spending on a striker that is known to score goals at this level. Not spending 10k a week on a Dutch winger on loan. The difference is vast. 

Edited by LightDN123

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Why are people so stressed about our budget ?

The plan is to be self sustainable, but that’s the long term plan. They have stated the need for immediate investment into the playing side to hopefully take us through the leagues. I’m sure when we are in league 1 the plan will then to be self sustainable. 

We are spending on a striker that is known to score goals at this level. Not spending 10k a week on a Dutch winger on loan. The difference is vast. 

l'd rather look at becoming self sustainable after we qualify for europe if we wana shiw some ambition

5 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Why wouldn’t he make that call? It’s his club and his money. Unsworth has actually confirmed in the interview with BPAS that Frank/the Family have put a block on some signings/potential spending while he has been here. 

I could very much see him looking at our current wage bill, then hearing Unsworth/Darren want to bring in another midfielder and he says hang on lads try and shift a couple first (don’t know this for fact but it makes sense). Even if we sign a midfielder today with no outgoings, I can’t imagine the conversation hasn’t taken place recently to try and shift a couple. 

There’s no way Frank isn’t involved financially on the football side of things. Do you not think he would have had to give the green light on spending a 6 figure transfer and quarter of a million a year in wages on bringing in a top end L1 striker? 

Having said all of the above, We do need a midfielder though 😂

I think we can safely say the wage budget from last season as increased without fear of contradiction .

At the fans forum I asked had Frank sought any outside investment given he previously mentioned this just after the takeover.  DR gave a firm no and moved on. That indicates to me the budget isn't an issue currently. 

Didn't the club borrow £5.1 million from the Rothwell's company? I'd have thought this is what was felt required to get us back into the EFL and then look to repay that loan. Could be way off the mark but would make sense. The problem is, if we squander that £5 million and are stuck in this league. Will more be made available or is that your lot? Makes getting a manager in who can actually get us out of this league even more imperative.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Didn't the club borrow £5.1 million from the Rothwell's company? I'd have thought this is what was felt required to get us back into the EFL and then look to repay that loan. Could be way off the mark but would make sense. The problem is, if we squander that £5 million and are stuck in this league. Will more be made available or is that your lot? Makes getting a manager in who can actually get us out of this league even more imperative.

Way to go Frank :imnotworthy: