Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

48 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Agree to a certain extent. Part of the problem of having numerous people involved in the recruitment is that it's easy to shirk responsibility when it doesn't go to plan. I don't think it's been a disgrace though although I have described it as scatter gun which is probably giving them a bit of an easy time. Norwood and Raglan clearly weren't in the plans and whilst you don't turn the opportunity to sign Norwood down, I do think it creates problems when you decide to go away from the planned signings. It has meant the squad seems unbalanced and probably finding it difficult to keep players happy with the end result we have 4 strikers on the bench just so they are involved in the matchday squad. Who takes the blame for this we will probably never know but it does highlight that the issue of getting rid of Unsworth is not as simple as would seem. Doesn't excuse Unsworth btw, he's certainly not getting enough out of what he has available.

Let me guess. The board is to blame

6 hours ago, Shrek said:

Unsworth is to blame for the 4 strikers on the bench. No need, shows he has no plan on changes.

They where the only fit players we had apart from Norman /understand Tollit may possibly  have been in talks . The time to judge him is when he has been able to field a settled  team with his strongest midfield. He hasnt been able to do that yet. And besides that we/he still needs and wants 2/3 more players possibly more depending on departures . Wouldnt be suprised to see a new a new right back Sutton is a fine prospect at CB but he is a liabilty at right back .Thought Ward looked promising and can see what he will add to a full strength midfield with more game time under his belt .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, penrhyn said:

They where the only fit players we had apart from Norman /understand Tollit may possibly  have been in talks . The time to judge him is when he has been able to field a settled  team with his strongest midfield. He hasnt been able to do that yet. And besides that we/he still needs and wants 2/3 more players possibly more depending on departures . Wouldnt be suprised to see a new a new right back Sutton is a fine prospect at CB but he is a liabilty at right back .Thought Ward looked promising and can see what he will add to a full strength midfield with more game time under his belt .

Who knows what his strongest midfield is? Injuries happen to everyone so he may not be able to field it consistently anyway,. Can he never be judged then?

21 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I hope the board have told Unsworth there's no more funding for the player budget and that he'll need to get rid before he's able to bring in anymore recruits 

His squad's more bloated than E. Honda

Is it that bloated? We've not a lot of options for the bench it seems bar strikers. 

24 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I hope the board have told Unsworth there's no more funding for the player budget and that he'll need to get rid before he's able to bring in anymore recruits 

His squad's more bloated than E. Honda

Who or what is E. Honda?

27 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I think DU said as much.  We've seen none out, so we've seen none in. 

19 hours ago, penrhyn said:

So why did he play 4-5-1 when we had 4 strikers on the bench against the mighty Dorking , who apparently had 7 players out . All teams have injuries so that is the poorest excuse he can have . Borehamwood had injuries when we got an impressive 0-0 win . Week after Oxford City{ not Oxford United]   put 4 past them. Chesterfield have injuries but it dose'nt seemed to be such a problem. Maybe we can give Unsworth some slack in National League  North , because on current form that' s where we are heading !!!! 

27 minutes ago, southwaleslatic said:

So why did he play 4-5-1 when we had 4 strikers on the bench against the mighty Dorking , who apparently had 7 players out . All teams have injuries so that is the poorest excuse he can have . Borehamwood had injuries when we got an impressive 0-0 win . Week after Oxford City{ not Oxford United]   put 4 past them. Chesterfield have injuries but it dose'nt seemed to be such a problem. Maybe we can give Unsworth some slack in National League  North , because on current form that' s where we are heading !!!! 

When we played 451/433 we had alllll the possession. We just created shit all. The idea was right, the execution was poor

Oldham Times - 5th September

Asked whether making further signings was an option, Unsworth said: "Absolutely. There'll be players leaving - at least three or four leaving - and hopefully a couple more coming in."

Of the time frame anticipated on the transfer movement, the Latics boss added: "Maybe (this) week, but it might be the week after."

This week is the week after. 

5 minutes ago, hollandspies said:

Asked whether making further signings was an option, Unsworth said: "Absolutely. There'll be players leaving - at least three or four leaving - and hopefully a couple more coming in."

Of the time frame anticipated on the transfer movement, the Latics boss added: "Maybe (this) week, but it might be the week after."

Unsworth is letting himself down. I'd say those responsible for recruitment are letting him down. He's best saying nowt unless the deals are in the bag.

12 hours ago, hollandspies said:

He said It might be the week after.

On 9/13/2023 at 11:58 PM, mcfluff1985 said:

When we played 451/433 we had alllll the possession. We just created shit all. The idea was right, the execution was poor

Against a side, in that first half, as far as I can remember, who were, IMO, just about the worst team we have ever played in my time watching Latics at home!

Never mind that the idea was right, one striker against Dorking at home was a joke!!

They were worse than abysmal and were hoofing the ball out of play all over the place, couldn’t pass the ball at all and lost a key player in the warm up along with their Captain after 10 minutes adding to the 7 players that were already ruled out injured!

That game should have been over by half time. They are Part timers who train two days a week ffs and would have struggled against a park 11, yet embarrassingly, we managed to create absolutely fuck all.

They must have been reminded by their manager at HT just how crap we really are because they were much the better team in the 2nd half, grew in confidence, and passed the ball around and through us and in the end were robbed of a clear goal and 3 points!

No excuses, we were extremely lucky to escape with a point and for me that speaks volumes about our team and our manager.

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that our current manager can turn our fortunes around, let alone play fast & dynamic football!

I’ve had more than enough of this absolute shambles…..

Unsworth out!!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ain’t that the truth. 

Right lads- here’s the formation it’s supposed to be effective apparently, but I’m gonna leave you lot to figure that out.