Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Cracking signing on paper, won PotY the season they got promoted. Had a bad injury which it sounds like he hasn't really recovered from, fresh start at a lower level might do him some good 

According to wiki. Violent and injury prone like Gardner.  Again no sell on fee here?

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Tom Conlon - never heard of him. 

Is he any good? (The goal apart) 

The replies to Port Vale’s announcement post tells us all we need to know. A quality player for L2 level, let alone ours.

Comes with a caveat of “if he stays fit”, which is a mild concern. We need to take the chance imo. Midfield’s need controlling and dominating. This is the type of player to do it. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hopefully he is good and can stay fit. Hartlepool said the same about Shelton when we signed him this time last year, but I trust Mellon a lot more than Unsy. 

I think Shelton had been an OK player in a National League side too. Conlon won League 2 PotY at Vale. 

Agree on concerns about fitness, but without that he isn't coming to Latics I suppose 

Looks like a coup on paper and centre of the park was the position we most needed strengthening. Sounds like he has leadership qualities too.

I always like to read between the lines with MM and he makes a point about his personality as well as his playing ability, we do look light in terms of leaders on the park at times, think this guy will help rectify that. 

• Like 1

There were concerns on Mark Kitchings fitness when he initially signed and he's barely missed a game. That's no guarantee Conlon will go the same way but he does tick alot of boxes here interms of pedigree and interms of what we need let's see how it pans out though.

Injured over the summer but looks to have played a lot of games in league one last season. Hopefully he's the player we need in the middle to grab hold of the ball and take control of games.

Get yourself down to BP on Saturday, haven't seen a midfielder with a wand for a left peg for some time, at least we have someone who can take over the dead ball duties and more importantly a player whose comfortable with the ball at his feet and he may be able to link up play for us. Got to be happy with this one with a bit of luck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

There will be some going out Rob, don't panic.

well that won't be for free either if youre to be believed? nobody be paying for any of our shit players!!

Edited by Monty Burns

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

There will be some going out Rob, don't panic.

The difference now compared to other similar situations is that we haven't had to wait for the players to leave before new comes in. This guy won't have come cheap. Suggests the club is serious about a promotion challenge this season.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So, what do we think happens formation wise?

Does this change us?

Or does it just mean, Conlon, Lundy, Sheron in the middle? 

I think this for now. Not sure we have enough width to change formation yet.  Saying that I'm not sure where Walker fits in, unless he's earmarked to partner Norwood up front.