Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

If the plan is good enough and a positive trajectory is achieved then investors are there to be had.

Money makes money. Rothwells achieve promotion with the initial acquisition of the club. Further investment is put in from a third party who puts enough in the pot for a run to the Championship. The investor, plus the Rothwells make much more money than a dozen Nuttalls picking splinters out of their arses when the club is sold to an even bigger investor in the Championship.

This is how I translate it as. Speculate to accumulate. The plan only derails if we stay at any of those levels for a considerable amount of time. It's dependant on overall success, which, if the plan is made, forecasted properly and stuck to, then has a more than good enough chance of achieving.

Absolutely. And to navigate a company to long term success over decades suggests the Rothwells are well skilled at the sort of thing you’re describing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

If the plan is good enough and a positive trajectory is achieved then investors are there to be had.

Money makes money. Rothwells achieve promotion with the initial acquisition of the club. Further investment is put in from a third party who puts enough in the pot for a run to the Championship. The investor, plus the Rothwells make much more money than a dozen Nuttalls picking splinters out of their arses when the club is sold to an even bigger investor in the Championship.

This is how I translate it as. Speculate to accumulate. The plan only derails if we stay at any of those levels for a considerable amount of time. It's dependant on overall success, which, if the plan is made, forecasted properly and stuck to, then has a more than good enough chance of achieving.

Sounds great- but can you give one example where a club has gone through the leagues with investors coming in along way to share the financial outlay and then exiting to a guy who is richer than them all combined and makes them whole on their investment. 

Bournemouth did it with one rich owner. 

Luton did it fan ownership and latterly a consortium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He's on a contract to the end of next season so it's clearly a signing designed to try and get us out of this division by then. Bags of experience, lot of playing time under his belt and an utter pain in the arse to play against. It's a dynamic Norwood thrives on and someone who will be on a similar wavelength. It'll be interesting to see where he fits Dallas into this so it points more towards a favoured 4-3-3.

Fondop's the obvious candidate to make way I would expect. I think Mike's most effective position is coming off the bench for a bit of extra physicality anyway so he should have a part to play still. As a Latics fan growing up in the 80's, having a striker called Garner still doesn't sit right with me.

You mention 4-3-3 a lot, but hasn't Mellon mentioned he thinks we are more suited to 3-5-2...?

52 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I cannot believe that there are still posters who think money can be made from running/owning a football club. do they never read a paper or look at  BBC Sport etc and see what a money pit football is at just about every level?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You mention 4-3-3 a lot, but hasn't Mellon mentioned he thinks we are more suited to 3-5-2...?

He mentioned that before we made any signings to be fair. Presumably if he doesn’t want to play 3-5-2 long term then his signings to date would allow for a switch to his preferred formation at some point. What his preferred formation is I do not know, it may well still be 3-5-2.

I’ve just spoken to my mate who’s a Preston fan.

I said we signed Joe Garner, he replied….

He’s an intelligent little fucker who has a handbag full of shithousery. Will win you scores of fouls, winds the opposition up and is excellent at holding the ball up.

Hard as nails and puts himself about and  he’s excellent in the air. He’s a clever footballer who will be hated by the away fans but will give everything.

Apparently likes a night out also but will become a overnight fans cult hero…

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

He’s an intelligent little fucker who has a handbag full of shithousery. Will win you scores of fouls, winds the opposition up and is excellent at holding the ball up.

Hard as nails and puts himself about and  he’s excellent in the air. He’s a clever footballer who will be hated by the away fans but will give everything.

He'll do 👍

22 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I cannot believe that there are still posters who think money can be made from running/owning a football club. do they never read a paper or look at  BBC Sport etc and see what a money pit football is at just about every level?

Think the qoute  is " how do you make a small fortune from owning a football club "  ? " start with a large fortune " 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Sounds great- but can you give one example where a club has gone through the leagues with investors coming in along way to share the financial outlay and then exiting to a guy who is richer than them all combined and makes them whole on their investment. 

Bournemouth did it with one rich owner. 

Luton did it fan ownership and latterly a consortium. 

There isn’t a team other than Luton to go from our level to the Prem granted. And that isn’t a realistic achievement if truth be known. However the Championship is, and that can be achieved by attracting investment on the back of momentum. I’m pretty sure the owners have gone on record to say they’re well positioned to fund us up to L1 / Championship but they would be looking to seek investment or sell the club in order to take it further. There were appointments made on the board with that in mind.

25 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

If they were that bad an investment then all clubs below the Prem would be fan owned and run ultra-prudently, wouldn’t they? It’s only when the milk starts to turn sour they become a millstone for a disinterested owner.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

There isn’t a team other than Luton to go from our level to the Prem granted. And that isn’t a realistic achievement if truth be known. However the Championship is, and that can be achieved by attracting investment on the back of momentum. I’m pretty sure the owners have gone on record to say they’re well positioned to fund us up to L1 / Championship but they would be looking to seek investment or sell the club in order to take it further. There were appointments made on the board with that in mind.

Yeah, I remember Frank/the family saying that.

I think Frank paid circa 20 million for the whole club, he made another 5 million available last season. Let’s say that outlay gets us up to league two and he brings in an investor who puts in another 5 million and we go up again.  We’re now competing at top end of league one against the likes of pompey with crowds of 20k. They can’t really stretch to getting us into the championship and look to sell. 

Who at that point is paying £30 million for a relatively small League one side?? To then know they have to spend x millions on top to get us up into championship. 

Much more likely is- Frank and his investors give it their best shot, but won’t and can’t bankrupt themselves and they exit at a loss. 

Edited by League one forever

It's a signing that suggests we're certainly going for it this season.

He's got the experience and the quality, hopefully he still has the fitness and energy to go with it.  Time will tell.

I'll be honest I can't get over that goal he scored in the playoffs against Rotherham years ago, up there with the best goals I've ever seen.  Sheer class.

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, I remember Frank/the family saying that.

I think Frank paid circa 20 million for the whole club, he made another 5 million available last season. Let’s say that outlay gets us up to league two and he brings in an investor who puts in another 5 million and we go up again.  We’re now competing at top end of league one against the likes of pompey with crowds of 20k. They can’t really stretch to getting us into the championship and look to sell. 

Who at that point is paying £30 million for a relatively small League one side?? To then know they have to spend x millions on top to get us up into championship. 

Much more likely is- Frank and his investors give it their best shot, but won’t and can’t bankrupt themselves and they exit at a loss. 

You’re thinking about it as just the football club though. There are bigger plans for the plot as a whole. That should increase the overall value of the club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah but maybe that’s why he’s signing the players he is to move away from 352.

If we could bring in a #10 and relegate Sheron to the bench, get Conlon match fit, then a 433/4231 would suit us nicely, although I do have reservations about Kitching as an out and out FB because I think he’s quite poor defensively. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

He'll do 👍

We’re short on shithousery and have been devoid of it for years.

Norwood is good at it, add Garner to the mix and it looks much better.

Its an underrated trait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

Sounds like your mates seen him play live ! 

Been written off here by many already tho. 

I trust Mellon knows what he’s all about. 

be a good signing this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

We’re short on shithousery and have been devoid of it for years.

Norwood is good at it, add Garner to the mix and it looks much better.

Its an underrated trait.

Conlon did a fair bit against Barnet too. 

13 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Sounds like your mates seen him play live ! 

Been written off here by many already tho. 

I trust Mellon knows what he’s all about. 

be a good signing this. 

Yeah, he also said if Neil Warnock was a football player he’d be Joe Garner.😂

• Like 1