Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

I think Kurt is not quite up to NL level and the Scottish Championship is probably more  where he is at. Nuttall I still think is a handful and should have done better but for whatever reason he didn’t fire with us, the fact that he’s gone up a level surely reinforces this

12 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I think Kurt is not quite up to NL level and the Scottish Championship is probably more  where he is at. Nuttall I still think is a handful and should have done better but for whatever reason he didn’t fire with us, the fact that he’s gone up a level surely reinforces this

He's gone up 2 levels. OK Cheltenham look likely to be relegated as they are 7 points adrift of safety having played a game more / 8 points adrift with a game in hand.

44 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

You think the Scottish Championship is of a lower standard than the NL??

I’m hoping Willoughby shines in Scotland and comes back and fights for a spot. He’s been absolutely ruined by Unsworth and was devoid of confidence by the time Mellon arrived. A daft turn of events after signing him. He’s never slagged us off either. Lesser players have.

Surprised he turned down a permanent move to Macclesfield on a higher salary than he’s on now. He clearly backs himself and good luck to him.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Having watched Arbroath a few times over last few seasons yes at the bottom end .real mix with top teams lower championship standard bottom teams semi pro at best  .mixed feelings on kurts move whilst i want him to do well could be at the expense of my wifes team Arbroath 

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Having watched Arbroath a few times over last few seasons yes at the bottom end .real mix with top teams lower championship standard bottom teams semi pro at best  .mixed feelings on kurts move whilst i want him to do well could be at the expense of my wifes team Arbroath 

l think Willoughby is decent and he will go show it. ld agree its a lower level but you can only beat who is there to beat. MM probs give him a run in pre season if he does go do it.

Dallas Norwood Garner is pretty ridiculous if we are being honest 😳 its inspired me to go mainhead utd which sounds like its well past my two hour limit.

30 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

Lots of happy memories from Arbroath. Particularly, the cliffs at Auchmithie and the rickety walkway to get to that pub/restaurant at 8pm pitch black with the waves crashing against the rocks 20 metres below. All it needed was John Laurie standing at the end of the bridge..."we're all doomed"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

My word. I was starting to think that those of us that thought there was a player in there somewhere were deluding ourselves, but if Daryl Clarke rates him 🤔 

Same, thought I was going mad. Never did himself justice here but in the games he did play well he looked a proper player. Not convinced he's League One standard mind you.

Pleased for them both to get moves away. Never really understood why Nuttall got mostly grief and Willoughby got mostly sympathy for being treated badly. Is it the running around thing? Is it the perception that Willoughby is a young player with potential? (Nuttall is only 5 months older)

I would expect a couple more departures now the EFL window has closed. Shelton and Reid to NL clubs maybe?

Shelton does surprise me that he hasn’t had a look in at all under Mellon. Not sure how different he is to Lundstram. 

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

This is my concern.  Have strikers ever been the issue??

Conlon is the creator surely? I can’t see Mellon playing with 2 of those kind of players in a midfield 3. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Conlon is the creator surely? I can’t see Mellon playing with 2 of those kind of players in a midfield 3. 

We need something more if last Saturday is anything to go by..

I've no sympathy for Nuttal or Willoughby. Nuttall regardless whether he runs or not has been a mega disappointment. The amount of money he's cost the club is just another issue. Willoughby on the other hand would just seem he's above his pay grade.

Once both finally leave the club neither won't be missed or spoke about much. 

The trouble as a team we've had is two fold.  No play maker in the middle of the park nor wide man with the flare to create plenty of chances for our goalscorer.  Our only player able to cross the ball as been Kitching. Sides that have stopped him have stopped us. 

Hopefully the business completed these past few weeks will address the short falls.

Edited by Lags

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

We need something more if last Saturday is anything to go by..

Or not, if the previous Tuesday is anything to go by!

I presume he's banking on Conlon to deliver central creativity more regularly once he's match fit. And that Sachdev will provide a threat on the right too meaning teams can't just mark Kitching out of the game and nullify us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Pleased for them both to get moves away. Never really understood why Nuttall got mostly grief and Willoughby got mostly sympathy for being treated badly. Is it the running around thing? Is it the perception that Willoughby is a young player with potential? (Nuttall is only 5 months older)

I would expect a couple more departures now the EFL window has closed. Shelton and Reid to NL clubs maybe?

Shelton does surprise me that he hasn’t had a look in at all under Mellon. Not sure how different he is to Lundstram. 

Difference is Nuttall has had plenty of chances and cruises through games and Willoughby's chances have been limited and he seemed to put a bit of effort in.

18 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Difference is Nuttall has had plenty of chances and cruises through games and Willoughby's chances have been limited and he seemed to put a bit of effort in.

Nuttall has played more yes, but I'm not convinced the way we were playing under Unsworth suited him. Or many of the players for that matter!

Will be interesting to see how he gets on playing for a manager who plays a different style of football.

2 hours ago, Lags said:

I've no sympathy for Nuttal or Willoughby. Nuttall regardless whether he runs or not has been a mega disappointment.

I'm still of the opinion that we never made best use of Nuttall and I don't think he's a bad player per se. On his debut he received a superb cross from the right hand side at Notts County which he clinically buried. He rarely received service like it. His style is languid, he won't run through brick walls for you but if the ball's put in Lee Johnson's famed "corridor of uncertainty" he'll normally bury it.

Hope he does well and revives his career.

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm still of the opinion that we never made best use of Nuttall and I don't think he's a bad player per se. On his debut he received a superb cross from the right hand side at Notts County which he clinically buried. He rarely received service like it. His style is languid, he won't run through brick walls for you but if the ball's put in Lee Johnson's famed "corridor of uncertainty" he'll normally bury it.

Hope he does well and revives his career.

So do I but to suggest his poor performances can be excused by the team's style of play is stretching it quite a bit.

Agreed his style is languid but it's is a very poor one for a central forward. They need to be busy chasing balls into the box or holding up the ball waiting for support, none of which he's seemed capable of. He has no great desire to score goals which is a pre-requisite in a centre forward.

Since Norwood arrived I've seen him slide in against the goalie whilst scoring against Chesterfield and follow up Dickenson's shot at Gateshead ending up in the back of the net with a defender, showing a yearning for goals that sadly Nuttall lacks. I can't remember Nuttall being off his feet much in any match.

I hope I'm wrong but he looks to lack the basic instinct to be a footballer. 

• Like 1