Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

The vast majority of managers rely on youth team staff to give them progress reports on the youngsters and, if they are deemed to be ready, are invited to join first team training.

I'm sure that if Atherton, or any others, are thought to be ready by our professional coaches then they will be fast tracked.

Quite.

or maybe someone could email the club..,..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

What options does the ordinary fan have, when at a game, to express his/her displeasure when witnessing a horror show out on the pitch?

Watching the first half against Woking was embarrassing  - do the fans just accept it?

Maybe, instead of booing, we could adopt the white hankie approach used by Spanish fans? Or turn our backs to the pitch when the players are trooping off?

Nah… I may not boo individuals but the team as a whole are fair game…😳

Not disputing anyone's right to show their displeasure however they wish I was just attempting to show I was not one of the "Nuttall Boo Boys".

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s just said in his interview at Cheltenham that he prefers to get the ball with his back to goal…..I suggest that’s exactly what he got here from day one!!

It used to bounce off his shins. 

Nuttall flattered to deceive with his closing down. He would jog towards the player with the ball and never get within 10 foot of him. I'll agree a player with good  ball control and nous where to move to for space and time on the ball need not run too much, but sadly again this is not JN.  His scoring record was poor, his assist again were poor. Hardly won a header. No amount of booing will improve that (I never boo individuals or the collective team, I'd rather just not clap them off). He will be back unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

In fact- 

I can dissect this into one sentence. 

Joe Nuttall is nowhere good enough to not run. James Norwood is more than good enough to not run. 

A great phrase. I don't know if you meant it as a light hearted comment but it made me chuckle. 

In a team of 11 not every player has run around like idiots. Let Norwood bide his time and keep scoring crucial goals.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

A great phrase. I don't know if you meant it as a light hearted comment but it made me chuckle. 

In a team of 11 not every player has run around like idiots. Let Norwood bide his time and keep scoring crucial goals.

I’m still reeling from not being able to count my sentences. . 

Think I got bit excited and peaked to soon, not for the first time. 

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

He didn't score many when he was facing goal. 

True..but..different manager, different ideas, different team..you never know. If Nuttall does well on loan, then I suspect he would not want a return to BP and I can't say I blame him for not wanting to. Only time will tell and good luck to the players who took the leap into moving elsewhere for another bite at the cherry.

Nuttall got the ball lumped up to him most of the time, with little support as a lone striker, when he isn't a target man. 

Also not much point in him pressing on his own when there are 4 defenders to pass it round him. Team needs to press, not just one striker, pointless.

Hope he does well. Treated poorly by a number of our fans

• Like 1

He’s certainly not the fastest and can’t turn quickly for sure, so why on earth would he prefer to receive the ball with his back to goal unless he planned to hold it up….. on the off chance he could control it that is!

We paid a 6 figure fee and he is on about £3k a week!  That’s not his fault but it does create a bit of expectation that he’s a very good player for this division which he is clearly not.

His desire and work rate also have to be questioned because I never saw him break into a sweat.

With respect to our financial outlay and considering the division we are in I’m struggling to think of any worse signings in 60 years following Latics!

Unsworth played him because I should imagine he felt compelled to do so but eventually even he took him out of the team. Thompson didn’t play him and it hasn’t taken MM too long to suss him out.

IMO….A really poor player which ever way you look at it!

I've defended Nuttall on here in the past and really wanted him to do well. I've seen some of the arguments on here about his languid style and possibly not playing to his strengths and they are legitimate. I do believe he falls into the category of "their is a player in there somewhere"

But whichever way you look at it we've not got bang for our buck. For what we paid we should be expecting more from him and we have given him a chance he was a regular starter when he came here and was first choice for most of last season I was hoping pre-season would really get him into shspe but its not really happened for him this season either despite being a starter at the start of the season. Mellon gave him a chance in his first home game and he didn't take it. 

I don't dislike any of our players even those that don't do well (we'll maybe I have in the past but not now) I don't Boo ex players when they return its just wasted energy. I certainly hold no ill feelings towards him who knows he might come back better, or he might thrive at Cheltenham it wouldn't be beyond him to do that EFL clubs were looking at him when he signed for us. But I get the feeling he will fall into the category of could of done better with his time at Oldham he's not the first he won't be the last.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

I must admit I'm hoping Nuttall scores a few at Cheltenham now. Some of the reactions on here seem a bit over the top....

So do I, we need him off the books and not back here. As for OTT, not for me, he's been garbage. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I've defended Nuttall on here in the past and really wanted him to do well. I've seen some of the arguments on here about his languid style and possibly not playing to his strengths and they are legitimate. I do believe he falls into the category of "their is a player in there somewhere"

But whichever way you look at it we've not got bang for our buck. For what we paid we should be expecting more from him and we have given him a chance he was a regular starter when he came here and was first choice for most of last season I was hoping pre-season would really get him into shspe but its not really happened for him this season either despite being a starter at the start of the season. Mellon gave him a chance in his first home game and he didn't take it. 

I don't dislike any of our players even those that don't do well (we'll maybe I have in the past but not now) I don't Boo ex players when they return its just wasted energy. I certainly hold no ill feelings towards him who knows he might come back better, or he might thrive at Cheltenham it wouldn't be beyond him to do that EFL clubs were looking at him when he signed for us. But I get the feeling he will fall into the category of could of done better with his time at Oldham he's not the first he won't be the last.

Really good post. I posted a few weeks ago about Nuttall having talent (Notts County at home on NYD, was a very good performance) but he's running out of time to prove it. Best result for him and us would be for him to make a success of this loan move, keep Cheltenham up and we get a fee for him at the end of the season as he completes a permanent move.

The fact that Daryl Clarke sees him as a footballer reassures me that those of us that see something in him aren't going mad but I fear Mellon has got it right, there's not enough commitment, or whatever it is holding him back, to justify a starting role in a National League side.   

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:52 PM, Gaz_Oafc said:

Cian Hayes (mentioned briefly on here) back to Rochdale on loan. Good signing for them that!

Would have liked him here - good options up front with Dallas and Garner coming in but don't think we've resolved the midfield and wide options which cost us in home games.

16 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Really good post. I posted a few weeks ago about Nuttall having talent (Notts County at home on NYD, was a very good performance) but he's running out of time to prove it. Best result for him and us would be for him to make a success of this loan move, keep Cheltenham up and we get a fee for him at the end of the season as he completes a permanent move.

The fact that Daryl Clarke sees him as a footballer reassures me that those of us that see something in him aren't going mad but I fear Mellon has got it right, there's not enough commitment, or whatever it is holding him back, to justify a starting role in a National League side.   

The head of the nail has been hit.                  Spot on.